8 replies to this topic

#1 towmater OFFLINE  

towmater

Dragonstomper

• 542 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 PM

From last month's Akihabra haul:

2018 04 13 19.36.23

The floppy plugs into the cartridge slot, and doesn't seem to allow passthrough to run the Basic language cart. Is there a way to save or load from disk Basic programs? Perhaps there is a different version of Basic that runs from disk?  (I gather there is a tape option, but that can't be the only option.

#2 MrMaddog ONLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 852 posts
  • Not a 'gamer' but a video game player...

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 PM

You can't plug both the disk drive & Family BASIC cart in the same slot so the answer's no...

TBH, I've always wondered why couldn't Hudson make a Family Disk BASIC to be loaded from a FDS that would have supported loading & saving on a disk.

#3 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,070 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:25 AM

I think Nintendo only wanted to show proof of concept, that the computer part of Family Computer really had bearing. They never intended to become a full fledged computer manufacturer, so many else in Japan were doing that in various price ranges and they already had a best selling video game console. Besides, aren't FDS mostly read only or can games save progress to the disks?

• jhd likes this

#4 discgolfer72 OFFLINE  

discgolfer72

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 PM

I think Nintendo only wanted to show proof of concept, that the computer part of Family Computer really had bearing. They never intended to become a full fledged computer manufacturer, so many else in Japan were doing that in various price ranges and they already had a best selling video game console. Besides, aren't FDS mostly read only or can games save progress to the disks?

early  manufactured  had the ability for full read/ write(tho nothing supported it )

pretty quick they changed  the hardware so it would only write to a small section of the disk for saves  

its pretty simple to make the early drives able to write  new disks  , the newer drives require a mod chip of sorts  to make them be able to make new disks

as for op you can still save and run programs but not from disk  you need a tape drive

Edited by discgolfer72, Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:53 PM.

#5 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,070 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:56 PM

... or any smartphone, computer etc that accepts recording. No need for a specific Nintendo branded tape recorder in case you wonder. Personally I've only used my Family BASIC for demo purposes with pre-downloaded programs stored on a MP3 player and then loaded into the keyboard.

#6 MrMaddog ONLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 852 posts
  • Not a 'gamer' but a video game player...

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:58 PM

Didn't they have it so you can re-write FDS disks with different games from kisoks?  And I'm sure it did games saves for Zelda & Metroid....

#7 discgolfer72 OFFLINE  

discgolfer72

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:28 PM

Didn't they have it so you can re-write FDS disks with different games from kisoks?  And I'm sure it did games saves for Zelda & Metroid....

yes but all the kiosks were owned by Nintendo   

and so far  it looks like every single one was returned to Nintendo  as  there is a massive search for one and  no one has admitted to having one

#8 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Stargunner

• 1,356 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:51 AM

That's too bad; those kiosks look neat, & they're an important part of gaming history. It would've sad if they were all scrapped. :(

#9 discgolfer72 OFFLINE  

discgolfer72

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:11 AM

That's too bad; those kiosks look neat, & they're an important part of gaming history. It would've sad if they were all scrapped. :(

Nintendo does still have several in  storage  , there was some pics on famicom world of the Nintendo's climate controlled storage  , and it was pretty sweet 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NES, Famicom

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users