IGNORED

Using Amigas for more than playing games...

MrMaddog

I'm not trying to start another flame thread but I'm just curious about something.

But how many current Amiga users here, especially from Europe, use their machines for other things besides games & demos?

I mean things like text editing, web browsing or even emulation to run productivity apps...

I'm asking cause I've seen YouTube videos of people using accelerated Amigas as modern computers but most only talk about how great they are games.

in other words, what do YOU use your Amiga for now?

Right now I'm still building up my system but have been starting music and animation on it. Once I get it to where I want it to be, I plan to develop content on it for games I want to make on it using OpenBor and RedPill. I'm just now starting to relearn the system all over again and all the bit ad pieces to install andy why. And how to use them and customize them and make for a nicely running system to do those other things i mentioned.

As for "Amiga" gaming. I do 90% of that in emulation. Have very few games on my real miggy now and play them casually when bored, including the emulated ones.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

I do Amiga 100% by emulation. It's mostly games and nostalgia. I may dabble in PhotonPaint for creative recreation from time to time. Working in the lower resolutions has a kind of charm or "vintage-ness" to it. And the benefit of emulation is I can shove a slider and get snappy performance - something that would've been cool in the old days. Then, to play games, shove the slider back to normal speed. Literally instantly. The versatility of emulation is remarkable.

But no serious work or office or productivity tasks. There'd be too many practical issues involving file conversions and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

I loaded up LightWave 3D v 3.5 a few times in the last while to see how far I could push organic modeling with it. It's actually surprisingly capable.

As for rendering though, it's awfully slow by today's standards. Still though, it's fun to see what can be done with such an old 3D app.

Other than that, I sometimes use the Amiga 4000 and the DSS8+ as a real-time audio effects module. There's something trippy about the delay-reverb on that thing.

• Like 1

Which reminds me, I still want to try to get better at Blitz BASIC. The results some people have been able to get from that language are pretty amazing.

Like the nifty OCS version of Defender on this page: http://www.blitter.com/~nebulous/amiga-games01.html

In other news, I tried running Mac OS 7.5 on the Amiga 4000/040 recently. An interesting experiment, but not terribly practical from what I can tell so far.

In other news, I tried running Mac OS 7.5 on the Amiga 4000/040 recently. An interesting experiment, but not terribly practical from what I can tell so far.

For best results use dedicated Hd partition and, if you can, GFX card. You can also use faster file system, like SFS or PSF. This will get you faster file access.

Other then that it should be fine.

• Like 1