Photo

A program that does not exist, who's time has come...

10 replies to this topic

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,296 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:13 PM

I believe there is a need for a new FR99/FG99 image program for users that use BOOT or the 9640 Menu System (also called BOOT).  What is it?  A one button loader!

This program could reside on the cartridge with the name "MENU SYSTEM" once executed, it would simply load BOOT from DSK1, that's it nothing more.  It would be an awesome time saver!

#2 atrax27407 OFFLINE  

atrax27407

Stargunner

• 1,011 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 PM

I've got one of those on my HRD16. It boots when I turn my TI on and all of the menu items are via a single keypress.

#3 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,296 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:53 PM

I've got one of those on my HRD16. It boots when I turn my TI on and all of the menu items are via a single keypress.

Sound nice. I'm sure more than a few people out there with TIPI's, P-Boxes, and Nano's would also like to load programs from their drives directly from their FR99/FG99.  Being that it's always there at startup, it makes a perfect menu system , so why just limit it to things on the cartridge?

If something like this was taken to it's 'ultimate conclusion" it would be a program that could make a copy of it itself or maybe a PC program that lets you enter:

1) The menu name.

2) The disk number.

3) The program name.

It would then make a dedicated loader that the user could copy to their FR99 or FG99.

#4 jjh76 OFFLINE  

jjh76

Chopper Commander

• 143 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 AM

Sound nice. I'm sure more than a few people out there with TIPI's, P-Boxes, and Nano's would also like to load programs from their drives directly from their FR99/FG99.  Being that it's always there at startup, it makes a perfect menu system , so why just limit it to things on the cartridge?

If something like this was taken to it's 'ultimate conclusion" it would be a program that could make a copy of it itself or maybe a PC program that lets you enter:

1) The menu name.

2) The disk number.

3) The program name.

It would then make a dedicated loader that the user could copy to their FR99 or FG99.

4) name of the cart image (RXB, EA, etc..) that the FR99/FG99 needs to load in order to run the program

#5 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,296 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:49 PM

Well... until a better solution comes out by someone else, I decided to cheat.  It works, but...

#6 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,158 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:05 PM

I was thinking of making a GROM 0 OS that took up GROM 0, 1 and 2 in place of TI Basic as RXB 

can run TI Basic programs faster then TI Basic. It would list carts and disks and hard drive directories.

Originally this used GPL access to Joystick 1 as a mouse to run this.

RXB XB program DM (Disk Manager) demoed this and is included with RXB since version 2001 RXB.

I lost the GPL code when my SCSI hard drive crashed.

It was a close knockoff to SOB Board from OPA.

#7 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,296 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:18 PM

I'm surprised no one has asked how I did it.

• RXB likes this

#8 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,158 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:23 PM

I'm surprised no one has asked how I did it.

Ok I will bite.

How did you do it?

#9 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,296 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:45 PM

I took a sector editor to the file xbasicG and renamed the cartridge name to "9640 MENU SYSTEM" and then replaced

the string "DSK1.LOAD" with "DSK3.BOOS".  After that I renamed the Extended BASIC program called LOAD to BOOS,

I then edited line five of the loader from DSK1.BOOT to DSK3.BOOT.

I've never really used DSK3 for much, so I put those files in a folder called BOOT and in TIPICFG assigned DSK3. as

the BOOT drive.  Now anything I want to put on the TIPI is easily available from one button press from the FG99 menu.

Yeah I know, it's quick and dirty but it works.  I don't have the skill set to do what InsaneMultitasker described in

<< THIS POST >>, so I just did the best I could as a stop-gap measure.

#10 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,789 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:15 PM

Simple, hacky, and effective.
  • RXB likes this

#11 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:08 AM

I believe there is a need for a new FR99/FG99 image program for users that use BOOT or the 9640 Menu System (also called BOOT).  What is it?  A one button loader!

This program could reside on the cartridge with the name "MENU SYSTEM" once executed, it would simply load BOOT from DSK1, that's it nothing more.  It would be an awesome time saver!

I use to keep 4ADOS and JJ's SC version of BOOT, known as "Custom Menu" in the two 8K RAM Banks of my 80K GramKracker, but those two banks are no longer functional.  I don't know why, as I'm reluctant to open it and do more damage with my errant fingers.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users