IGNORED

Was there a TSR program for Atariwriter 1 that added spell checking?

ACML

I'm talking about the Atariwriter cartridge, not Atariwriter Plus. I seem to recall that there was a version of Atspeller maybe (???) that loaded as an Autorun.sys file with the Atariwriter cartridge and it added a spell check option to the Atariwriter menu. Am I imagining this? I know Atspeller runs on its own, but this application appended itself the to Atariwriter cartridge. Maybe I'm just not remembering this right.

Edited by ACML

B&C Offers it at $9.95, as does Best.

AtariWriter Proofreader with 36,000 Word Dictionary (English Language), Spell checking program for above AtariWriter RX8036 Cartridge program only. Proofreader gives the cartridge based AtariWriter Word Processing program extra capabilities! There's no excuses for excuses. Because Atari Proofreader Catches Every Spelling Error and highlights it Unmistakably in your documents. You can create and supplement the Proofreader Dictionary with your own personal dictionary with unique or specialized words to your work, business or profession too. Proofreader menu options: Spelling options, Correct Errors, Highlight Errors, Print Errors, Dictionary Search, Lode Personal Dictionary, Return to Atariwriter and Save Personal Dictionary. Proofreader Program and Dictionary Diskette and 20 Page Manual (D) (32K Min. Computer required). AX2033 $19.95 Special Buy !! $9.95 Now an inexpensive accessory that Every AtariWriter cartridge based Word Processor Owner should have!

• Like 1

B&C Offers it at $9.95, as does Best.

Thanks for the information. My problem is that I have not owned a real disk drive in a while. I use SIO2SD and didn't look back. I actually found the dictionary ATR, just not the program.

Edited by ACML

I know, but that's what was mentioned in the initial posting.

I remember using Atspeller when it came out, and for some reason, I thought the Atariwriter amended one was based on Atspeller. Then David_P's post identifying it as Atari Proofreader clicked and I remember having it as well. I found the dictionary disk for Proofreader, but do not have the program ATR. A nice follow on you can use with your original Atariwriter cartridge. Does anyone remember if the Atari Proofreader disk was copy protected? I would think someone has it as an ATR.

Edited by ACML

Does anyone remember if the Atari Proofreader disk was copy protected? I would think someone has it as an ATR.

I know I have it somewhere on a disk, as a copy. Always used Happy and Speedy disk drives so copy protections were never a problem and no idea if it has one. Also no idea where to start looking for that disk.

I'm planning to put an order into best today, I'd be willing to add this disk to my order to image if it's not available anywhere...

Nezgar,

That is very generous of you and would be greatly appreciated. I'd get one, but I no longer have any disk drives to convert to an ATR. Give it a few days if you can wait, someone probably has a copy in ATR format somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember using Atspeller when it came out, and for some reason, I thought the Atariwriter amended one was based on Atspeller.

On the last page of the manual previously linked to by David_P, is confirmation that Atari Proofreader is based on APX Atspeller. The 1985 XE era box even bears the same APX product # AX2033

post-53052-0-67413800-1524980987.jpg

• Like 2

Got the Atari Proofreader with my order from BEST last week. the DX5073 disk is copy protected - missing sectors 1-8 on track 4. I've attached an ATR with those sectors missing, but the protection would have to be removed or re-created for it to be useful. (Or order it for yourself from BEST :) )

Screenshots from the Speedy Disk Mapper showing the missing sectors on the original disk.

The DX5074 Atari Proofreader Dictionary is not copy protected, and a link to an image was found previous in this thread. What I found interesting, is that the proofreader disk is the same disk I already have with with my AtariWriter+ Disk.

post-53052-0-82524700-1524984226_thumb.jpg

DX5073 Atari Proofreader.atr

post-53052-0-47953400-1524984257_thumb.jpg

post-53052-0-35856900-1524984272_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Got the Atari Proofreader with my order from BEST last week. the DX5073 disk is copy protected - missing sectors 1-8 on track 4. I've attached an ATR with those sectors missing, but the protection would have to be removed or re-created for it to be useful. (Or order it for yourself from BEST :) )

Screenshots from the Speedy Disk Mapper showing the missing sectors on the original disk.

The DX5074 Atari Proofreader Dictionary is not copy protected, and a link to an image was found previous in this thread. What I found interesting, is that the proofreader disk is the same disk I already have with with my AtariWriter+ Disk.

Nezgar,

Thank you very much for providing the image an information. I'm surprised in all these years that this application hasn't been cracked. It is beyond my capabilities that's for sure. I took an assembly language class on the IBM 370 mainframe, but never picked up 6502 assembly. Maybe someone on AA will take a crack at it (pun intended).

Got the Atari Proofreader with my order from BEST last week. the DX5073 disk is copy protected - missing sectors 1-8 on track 4. I've attached an ATR with those sectors missing,

Find attached a cracked image which starts into the Atari Writer menu if DOS 3 is selected. I have no idea how to verify if Proofreader actually works or you only have access to Atari Writer.

BUT

The image does not work at all if DOS 2 is selected; even if the needed sector is missing. It loads until sector 120 and then crashes.

Can you please verify if the original disk shows the same behaviour?

DX5073 Atari Proofreadercr CSS.atr

Find attached a cracked image which starts into the Atari Writer menu if DOS 3 is selected. I have no idea how to verify if Proofreader actually works or you only have access to Atari Writer.

BUT

The image does not work at all if DOS 2 is selected; even if the needed sector is missing. It loads until sector 120 and then crashes.

Can you please verify if the original disk shows the same behaviour?

DjayBee,

Thank you for cracking. I found the same as you. It will boot to modified Atariwriter menu that now includes "check spelling" only if you select DOS 3. The "I" disk index does not work. Says device not ready. I'm trying to read a DOS 2 disk with Atariwriter files on it. I did type my own letter using "Create" and ran the spell check option and it worked. Just need to figure out why "Index" or directory doesn't work and why it can't load under the default for DOS 2. Great work!!!!

post-27335-0-20314600-1525133251_thumb.jpg

Edited by ACML

DjayBee,

Thank you for cracking. I found the same as you. It will boot to modified Atariwriter menu that now includes "check spelling" only if you select DOS 3. The "I" disk index does not work. Says device not ready. I'm trying to read a DOS 2 disk with Atariwriter files on it. I did type my own letter using "Create" and ran the spell check option and it worked. Just need to figure out why "Index" or directory doesn't work and why it can't load under the default for DOS 2. Great work!!!!

attachicon.gifatwriter with spell.jpg

Index of disk files error using a DOS 2 formatted disk. It will show the directory of a DOS 3 disk though.

post-27335-0-89558000-1525138990_thumb.jpg

To be honest I never actually tried to boot the software on the original disk before I imaged it. :) I'll give the real one a try and report back.

I believe to have found the problem:

Sector 81 did not make it into your dump.

Proofreader embeds a standard DOS 2.0A and this is the starting sector of it - actually the boot sector of a standard DOS 2.0A disk.

So it was easily replaceable.

Find attached the result including the dictionary disk.

@Nezgar:

Since you seem to have a Speedy 1050, you might send a physical copy of the disk to somebody with a Kryoflux or SCP for dumping.

Proofreader (1985)(Atari)(US).zip

• Like 2

I believe to have found the problem:

Sector 81 did not make it into your dump.

Proofreader embeds a standard DOS 2.0A and this is the starting sector of it - actually the boot sector of a standard DOS 2.0A disk.

So it was easily replaceable.

Find attached the result including the dictionary disk.

@Nezgar:

Since you seem to have a Speedy 1050, you might send a physical copy of the disk to somebody with a Kryoflux or SCP for dumping.

Just checked it out using an old letter from the 80's. Seems to work, even with DOS 2 now. Thank you for doing this!

I finally got a chance to re-run a sector copy off of the original.

For some reason, both stock 1050 and Mini-Speedy 1.7 error/skip sector 81 when using MYCOPY. I used a happy, it gave me sector 81.

I guess compare if this (uncracked) ATR from the happy sector 81 matches what you replaced.

DX5073 Atari Proofreader - Pass 2 (Happy).atr

• Like 2

I do have a collection here I plan to send to Farb at some point! I'll endeavour to include this with it.

For some reason, both stock 1050 and Mini-Speedy 1.7 error/skip sector 81 when using MYCOPY. I used a happy, it gave me sector 81.

I guess compare if this (uncracked) ATR from the happy sector 81 matches what you replaced.

Yes, it matches. :thumbsup:

It's weird that Speedy's disk map (according to your screenshot above) shows sector 81 as good but the sector copier then skips it.