IGNORED

Original XBox Game on 360 Will Not Update

StephenJ

Hey everybody,

I just picked up and original Xbox game (Links 2004) to play on my 360.

The game installs, and plays, fine...but will not update.

Every time I start the game, I am notified that there is an update.

When I click to install the update, I get a progress bar for the download.

When it reaches 100%, the screen goes blank and the 360 locks-up.

At that point, the only thing I can do is restart the 360.

I have verified that my 360 has the latest update...and has a solid internet connection.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the game...no change.

Could use some help.

Thanks,

Stephen

Edited by StephenJ

Original Xbox games can't be installed. They're played directly off the disc on the Xbox 360.

You used to be able to download the backwards compatibility update and burn them to a disc (A USB stick also works for OS updates and might do the trick for the BC files as well, if you don't have a cd/dvd disc burner). Xbox.com doesn't seem to host the files these days, but maybe you can track down the last update from 2007 from an alternate site and try that method, circumventing downloading from Xbox Live?

Edited by Atariboy

Atariboy,

"...Original Xbox games can't be installed. They're played directly off the disc on the Xbox 360..."

Understood. The game seams to run fine. I was mostly interested in the update in case there were addition courses, characters, etc..

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

All the best,

StephenJ

If you were expecting additional content, it sounds like you may of gone into the menu option where you'd of originally been able to purchase and download the add-on courses for Links 2004. Sadly though, no original Xbox patches, associated downloadable content, matchmaking functions, and so on for original Xbox titles are hosted by today's Xbox Live. So it's just a dead end in the game menu today.

Ever since Xbox Live services for original Xbox titles was discontinued as of April 15th, 2010, the only things left are downloads of retail Xbox games on the Xbox 360 (And now the Xbox One) that can be purchased and played via backwards compatibility, and the associated software that enables backwards compatibility with select discs.

And even when you purchase an original Xbox game digitally off the Xbox store and download it, it's sans any patches and downloadable content that they originally received (like Crimson Skies).

Edited by Atariboy