Photo

Am I Sick, in Need of Electro-shock! Ben Where Are You?

4 replies to this topic

#1 gilsaluki OFFLINE  

gilsaluki

Dragonstomper

• 717 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:53 PM

Several years ago I was having a challenge to get audio out of an old monochrome monitor, with no speaker.  I remembered reading in one of the old Atari Classics or Antics where Ben Poehland figured a workaround.   Ben was prolific in the A8 field.  He and the 1200XL Bob dude kept the Atari Classics Magazine going for a long time.  I was always thankful for his technical knowledge of video and sound for the 8 bits.  I found his home address somehow on the net, he never left his hometown, and wrote him for suggestions.  He emailed me that he was not in the 8 bit field any longer and had long since given away or sold off his collection and moved on to the Bill Gates Land of Microsoft.  He said he dumped all of it, tons of documentation, paperwork, engineering stuff, etc.  I was kind of shocked.  He was shocked that people still used Ataris, but was happy to learn they did. 

Well, this all hit me hard.  How could someone like Ben, so vested in Atari 8 bits, just dump it all.....just like that?  It gave me pause for thought.  Am I an idiot for hanging on to an obviously dated system.....arrested development?

Wow.  I have loved my Atari for over 35 years now.  Still I like getting new stuff for it, discovering what it can do.  Sure, it amounts to a toy, a hobby now..but it's part of my history, my family.  I cannot get myself just to dump it. 

Maybe I am a hoarder and just don't want to admit it.

I may need professional help.

#2 gilsaluki OFFLINE  

gilsaluki

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 717 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:55 PM

Ben...Frazier, PA.... Still there, I bet.

#3 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,518 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:55 PM

Hello gilsaluki

Sure sounds like you need therapy.  Atari 8 bit therapy.  I'm recommending something like this.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS next years summer therapy will last a week.  If that doesn't help, take smaller dosages, more often.  We usually have two sessions in the spring.  That, plus the summer session, should work.  If taken enough times.

#4 Atari030 OFFLINE  

Atari030

Space Invader

• 31 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 PM

Pretty sure most of us will fall into the weirdo obsessive OCD category. Beats being normal imho.

You are only hoarding if you don't use them. Viva La Atari.

#5 Stefan Both ONLINE  

Stefan Both

Moonsweeper

• 342 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:30 PM

It's easy to get tired of a thing,
if it's your profession...
A hobby can last forever.

Stefan

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users