IGNORED

Flying Shark

Asmusr

For those of you who don't read the development forum, I'm happy to announce that after 6 months of development, version 1.0 of my remake of Flying Shark is now ready.

post-35226-0-01574200-1523903101.png

The game is provided as a 512K cartridge image for FinalGROM99/UberGROM/red boards and requires a 32K RAM expansion. It will not run from FlashROM99 or disk.

The game can be played using joystick 1 or keyboard (S, D, E, X, Space). If you start the game using the keyboard only the keyboard will be active and vice versa. Hold down fire/space a little longer to fire a smart bomb. Key M on the title screen turns off the music.

The graphics are based on the ZX Spectrum version of the game, and the music was recreated after listening to the arcade version. None of the original program code has been used for the remake.

The source code is available from: https://github.com/Rasmus-M/Flying-shark

Thanks to Tursi for the use of his music/sound player and to ralphb for his xas99 assembler.

flying-shark-v1.0-8.bin

flying-shark-v1.0.rpk

• Like 24

This Flying Shark game is one of those rare breed that STAY on the computer because it adds a level of play and enjoyment that never seems to grow old.

If this game had been around back in the day instead of Parsec, I bet an additional 1 million units would have been sold changing the history of the TI. Yes, I DO think it's THAT GOOD!

• Like 1

Does it only work on a F18A equipped console?

As Omega wrote, the game is written for the 9918A, but it does looks better on an F18A because there is no sprite flicker or color bleeding. If also works in MAME with the EVCP console emulation.

Edited by Asmusr

I get the title screen and nothing more (no matter what keys I press or which joystick I use) using the red board and a garbled screen display on the ubergrom. It apparently doesn't work on a 9938 system. Oh well . . .

I have no idea why it doesn't work on a 9938 system. It seems to indicate two things: a) the 9938 is not fully backwards compatible with the 9918A, and b) the EVPC emulation in MAME has some issues because here it's working fine. Any ideas anyone?

[Edit: I assume that color and pattern table masking works on an 9938.]

Edited by Asmusr

Excellent game... Wish I could get to Level 3, but 1 and 2 are superb. Thanks for this release!

If you find anything that seems impossible I will be happy to change it. Also, if you or Omega or anyone else want to do some testing of levels 2-4 just send me a PM and I will show you how to change the starting level.

If you find anything that seems impossible I will be happy to change it. Also, if you or Omega or anyone else want to do some testing of levels 2-4 just send me a PM and I will show you how to change the starting level.

Thanks! Ill pass on that though, since the game is complete... Now that its no longer BETA, I will just need to put in the work to advance...

I have no idea why it doesn't work on a 9938 system. It seems to indicate two things: a) the 9938 is not fully backwards compatible with the 9918A, and b) the EVPC emulation in MAME has some issues because here it's working fine.

No guarantees for the 9938 emulation (and no money back). :-D I never really looked deeper into its implementation, and some issues are already known (like unrealistic command performance).

Usually, the cause of failure on a 9938 is not setting the VDP registers to spec.i

I'm only setting regs 0-7. The only difference between the VDP regs on the title screen and the rest of the game is that VR3 is set to >FF (3 color tables) for the former and >9F (1 color table) for the latter. VR0 is set to >02 and VR1 is set to >E2 or >A2 depending on whether the screen is on or off.

Just a got a chance to try this out finally... WOW! With games like this, hard to believe you're playing a TI sometimes. :)

Especially like the music. Also occurs to me the irony of having background music + sound effects, when there are countless games for the Amiga and ST that have you choosing one or the other. Always hated that. :mad: :lol:

Game plays really well, but yeah - it's pretty tough. Need to remind myself to stay away from the sides!

• Like 1