IGNORED

Doing a 180

mr_intv

Ive always loved the intellivision but back in the 1980s it was at times frustrating at the lack of arcade ports compared to Colecovision and Atari consoles. We had a few but not many. Fast forward to today and I now love the fact at how many original intellivision exclusive games there were/are. I applaud everyone involved in the new homebrew games but are there any original homebrew games coming down the pipe?

• Like 5

Totally agree with the 180 perspective.

I think Intellivision Burgertime is better than the original, and I enjoy the Venture port for some of its oddness. When I was an Intellivision kid, the lack of arcade releases was kind of a drag, but that was before we could get the real thing. Long-form "smarter" games are what the system is about.

I should lock myself in with the Intv Flashback sometime and do nothing else for a long time. Total immersion!

• Like 2

Back in the 1980s I had locknchase, burgertime, and bumpnjump; we all wanted to play arcade games at home. The reality was, eventually I'd stop playing those games completely; and that was true for shark shark too. The games I always went back to were Space Battle, AD&D, Sub Hunt, the sports games, and even Star Strike and Bomb Squad. Having said that I still like seeing quality Intellivision conversions of classic arcade games.

I still like arcade conversions but its the other titles that keep me going on the system. Ive always liked Lock N Chase and had no clue it was an arcade game back n the 80s. I just thought it was Mattels answer to Pacman. :)

You should try Mouse Trap. It's actually pretty complicated and requires a bit of strategy. I always thought it was Coleco's answer to Pacman :D

I think the general consensus* is that original games have held up better over time, because now with emulation anyone can play the original games. So the Colecovision's claim to fame with having a good port of for example Time Pilot or Congo Bongo doesn't mean much in 2018 because the arcade version is actually the best. But get an original game from 198x like Utopia or Dungeons & Dragons and you have something that continues to play well.

For 21st century original stuff, check out what's published by Intellivision Revolution or Naberhood Games or Left Turn Only as your first move. Originals!

I understand that the jokers at Intv Prime are grinding away at an RPGish (ish) type of game as well. Originals!

*consensus in my head.

Ive always loved the intellivision but back in the 1980s it was at times frustrating at the lack of arcade ports compared to Colecovision and Atari consoles. We had a few but not many. Fast forward to today and I now love the fact at how many original intellivision exclusive games there were/are. I applaud everyone involved in the new homebrew games but are there any original homebrew games coming down the pipe?

• Like 1

I think the general consensus* is that original games have held up better over time, because now with emulation anyone can play the original games. So the Colecovision's claim to fame with having a good port of for example Time Pilot or Congo Bongo doesn't mean much in 2018 because the arcade version is actually the best. But get an original game from 198x like Utopia or Dungeons & Dragons and you have something that continues to play well.

There is something flawed about the "golden age" arcade game style. Two things can happen with players. They would master the game and get board or they would hit a wall and get frustrated. With some Intellivision and other home games e.g. AD&D, unless you're one of the rare few that have mastered them you can select a skill level that limits you from getting frustrated or bored; this happens because the game has a winnable ending. Generally arcade gameplay is addictive, only a small fraction of arcade games developed, that passed strict field testing, would get manufactured. But they also had a short life in the arcades. In 1982, kids like myself would never spend enough time in the arcade to hit the frustration mark; but if we had the game at home, it wasn't long before we did; or with other kids, mastered the game. Arcade regulars, those that put serious money into them, would have similar results and the machines would stop making money. An original home game that was arcade style, e.g. Shark Shark, would have the same problem; it's still a new game for many people. So in my opinion it's not just being original, but it's the style of game that gives it replay value.