Photo

Games that won't fit in the Atari 400's cartridge port?

Atari 400 Cartridges She cant take no more captn

9 replies to this topic

#1 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 3,169 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 AM

Being a relatively new Atari 400 owner I've been hunting around for lots of Atari 8-bit computer game cartridges lately, and today I  got a couple games in the mail that surprised me in that they simply would not fit in the Atari 400's cartridge port. The cartridge shells are too wide to make it more than halfway down the cartridge port and they snag up on the metal shielding rather quickly. 

THyun75.jpg

R41twGt.jpg

Has anyone else experienced problems like this, and are there any other games known to not fit in the Atari 400's cartridge port? Specifically I'm wondering whether or not there are issues with any of the Parker Bros. and Activision carts, since those are the main third party games I'd like to play. 

#2 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,270 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:50 AM

Nothing to add, really, but I have a similar issue, albeit I only have an Atari 800 left in the 400/800 series. It's frustrating that you can't sometimes use the older machines because of that. It would be nice if there was a database that listed what fits and what doesn't.

#3 R.Cade OFFLINE  

R.Cade

Stargunner

• 1,309 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:10 AM

That cart says 400/800, so it's odd that it won't plug in. It's from 82- there were no other Atari computers in 82.

Edited by R.Cade, Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:11 AM.

#4 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 AM

I've never had that problem.  I grew up with an Atari 400 and had no problems with any game.  I didn't have Thorn EMI carts, but I had tons of 3rd party games including Activision and Parker Brothers and those worked just fine.

#5 Lord Thag OFFLINE  

Lord Thag

River Patroller

• 3,598 posts
  • We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:25 AM

Thorn EMI and Synapse carts have issues with some of the 400s, and I have a 1200xl that has issues with them as well. Those two brands are the only ones I've had issue with, and even they still work with a little coercing. 

#6 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,270 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:28 PM

Thorn EMI and Synapse carts have issues with some of the 400s, and I have a 1200xl that has issues with them as well. Those two brands are the only ones I've had issue with, and even they still work with a little coercing. 

I have one of those two slot cartridge port extenders for my 1200XL. The slot is too much of a pain to try and work with otherwise. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a similar solution for the 400/800.

#7 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• Topic Starter
  • 3,169 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 1:33 AM

As an update to my original post, when I discovered that the two Thorn EMI games wouldn't fit in my 400 I decided to sell them as a set for $10 to someone who could make better use of them. It's been a couple weeks though and the set never sold, so tonight I decided to break out the hobby files and see if I could shave enough material off the corners to make the Submarine Commander cartridge fit. It took about half an hour of slow careful sanding on each corner, but it does fit in the cartridge slot and play fine now. The cartridge may not look quite as pretty, but hey, at least it plays. :)

5CheHrL.jpg

#8 Fox-1 / mnx OFFLINE  

Fox-1 / mnx

Stargunner

• 1,557 posts
  • What is your Alternate Reality?

Posted Sun May 6, 2018 7:35 AM

Files are invaluable when talking Atari.  Even the Falcon needs them when you want to exchange the battery...

Falcon RTC Bat 03_S.jpg

Falcon RTC Bat 07_S.jpg

#9 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,589 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Sun May 6, 2018 1:48 PM

That's insane!  But it's a Falcon, it deserves to remain working.

#10 carlsson ONLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,822 posts

Posted Sun May 6, 2018 2:35 PM

Although I'm familiar with the concept of single-filed or one-filed games, I never considered them to look like that. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atari 400, Cartridges, She cant take no more captn

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users