IGNORED

SNK 40 Anniversary plug and play Neo Geo console announced

Well, I guess I'll be curious what the emulation quality will be like and what controllers they plan on using. Anything else, I just think to myself, "Didn't they do this a few years back?" (and that one was portable too). Although my guess is this upcoming one will be considerably cheaper.

• Like 1

I'm guessing the article's right and it'll be another android-based software emulator-thing.

That kind of lazy is right up SNK's alley. SNK's standards for how their classics play has gotten comically low, somehow even worse than Nintendo or Sega.

It's sure to please their fanbase, who is similarly well known for not demanding the best possible gaming experience. [/sarcasm]

My guess is they'll bundle together their current batch of crappy android ports and hope that putting them into a pretty box tricks the normies into buy into it (for whatever reason). Even their steam ports are trash, so a decent pc-based box wouldn't be a safer bet. I can't imagine what SNK must think of their customers these days. Well I can--I just shouldn't say it here.

Edited by Reaperman

Even if it's well done, it's almost certainly going to have a lineup like SNK Arcade Classics 1 did. A few select highlights like 1 or 2 Metal Slugs, one entry of each of their big fighting series, Shock Troopers, etc.

With all the emulated Neo Geo rereleases, I imagine everyone in a community like this one has those highlights pretty well covered with things like Virtual Console downloads, PS2 era compilation discs, etc.

Arcade Archives is getting into interesting territory though, with Neo Geo games I never thought would see the light of day again appearing with semi-regularity.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Tommo got bootstomped by SNK hard over the NGX so instead of being rude and down over it, and given Nintendo forcing others to bring their A game after their 2 consoles so far we're into a whole new realm of demanded quality and with a higher price point. While SNK did have the price point, they had the hardware and emulation fail values of a Jakks TV game plug and play going on there. That was years ago, this is now and odds are they won't be using flaky hardware and stolen earlier glitched out versions of emulators to run their games because they'd get raked over the coals harder than anyone after that last attempt as the community and public in general hate them and lost their trust over it.

I'm taking a wait and see. If that drop cloth means anything, this could be some 10-12" tall MyArcade wannabe copycat of those multicades for the DataEast and soon Namco releases of theirs. If SNK hit that same supplier using those parts and straight running arcade ROMs there's a possibility of it being pretty good.

Hi guys,

This certainly captured my attention as well. Really want to see what they have to offer because I'm glad SNK wants to be a main player again in the market after years of struggling after their bankruptcy.

Anthony...

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "main player"? This is just a standard classic re-release of some form like the NES/SNES/Genesis/etc. Mini's, not a new system. It's probably designed to sell in the hundreds of thousands for a reasonably low price and perhaps be an annual type of release.

• Like 2

That teaser image makes me think it might be some kind of table top MVS form factor.

large.jpg

That would be the most exciting thing they could produce I would think, but it could also just be a regular plug and play and the bulge could be an example TV. I'm hoping not. (of course, in looking at it closely, it DOES look boxy like a tabletop arcade, so there's definitely hope there)

The Neo Geo X actually had quite a few apologists for it. I guess some people were too proud to admit that $200 was a waste, and they'd been had. Quite an amusing read as they spun it into a quality product. I'm not ashamed to say I bought one, then promptly disposed of it after seeing how poor the emulation and build quality was. That input lag too.

There were some apologists, but there were also those were weren't pitch fork mob me to whiners either who saw what the hardware was under the SNK case work and did stuff with it that made it far better than what those clowns at Tommo fouled up. The year it came out it was a relatively decent for the time Dingoo handheld chinese emulator device and it could run quite a few 8bit console, handheld and some arcade stuff quite well, a few 8/16bit stuff choices as well. You really had to not just think but play outside of the box and then it was a decent thing to have, but the horrible output of the TV dock had no redemption value. If hacked the NGX was a decent device, but on its own, even after a few band-aids in that one firmware update, it just wasn't going to be great any way about it how it was so poorly setup.

Again showing your bias, read what I said, not what you want to interpret it as so you can rant against the device. I said if you put your own stuff on it, not used what Tommo supplied which was broken. The dingoo model under the SNK shell is fine, if you use proper emulators that weren't coded piss poorly. I'm not saying it's the best possible solution overall, but it is a small low profile device that can run quite a lot of older games great if you use your own tools. And seriously I'm so fed up with everyone and their used a hacked PSP argument about every handheld device they're not happy with. Get an original line already. Don't like there's no SNES one, get a PSP. Don't like the atgames stuff for years, hack a PSP, hate the nGX use a PSP, etc. Boring.

I don't need an original line, because the hardware was cheap garbage. Just because "hacked PSP" is a common answer to the question, doesn't make it wrong. What a dumb non-argument. So if everyone you asked how to get to Europe said take a plane, you'd say "get an original line already". :roll:

From the screen to the joystick and buttons to overall construction of the Neo Geo X. Crap. Doesn't matter what software you put on it. The supplied arcade sticks were also junk compared to the originals.

You aren't the Neo Geo expert you think you are.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

The supplied arcade sticks were also junk compared to the originals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But it would probably cost $60 - 160 US dollars to make a modern Neo Geo Stick alone that wasn't junk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But it would probably cost $60 - 160 US dollars to make a modern Neo Geo Stick alone that wasn't junk

Tommo tried to copy the design of the original console controls, and failed. They actually had to fab up the mechanical parts.

It would be better for everyone if the new device used readily available actual arcade hardware from the likes of Sanwa or Seimitsu. Considering the shape of the thing looks like a barcade style countertop unit, would make more sense.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

No the dumb argument is to fall back on a long dead handheld with an old emulator to cure all the problems of portable game emulation on the go. It's a stale argument. The fact you don't like my pointing that out shows you got no better suggestion or card to use than that played out years old argument. I know you're just a buffoon who goes on and on about stuff here, can't let anything slide if it's not something you dislike so going back and forward on this would be pointless. I never said you had to use the lousy dock or the usb sticks, just spoke about the general usage of the dingoo handheld they rebranded, that's it, and you're going off on lame tangents about bad accessories that were already covered.

I know you're just a buffoon who goes on and on about stuff here,

Coming from you, that's freaking hilarious. :lol:

I didn't say the PSP is still the best option, genius. I was referencing at the time of the Neo Geo X's release, which was 2012. But, if only given the option between just those two hardware items, the PSP is STILL the better option.

Edited by keepdreamin

The Neo Geo X actually had quite a few apologists for it. I guess some people were too proud to admit that $200 was a waste, and they'd been had. Quite an amusing read as they spun it into a quality product. I'm not ashamed to say I bought one, then promptly disposed of it after seeing how poor the emulation and build quality was. That input lag too.

I paid $100 for it and thought it was a waste. Really poor build quality, and that's not touching on the software issues.