IGNORED

SNK 40 Anniversary plug and play Neo Geo console announced

This may make a neat desk ornament, but for actually playing Neo Geo games, this mockup looks like one of the worst options you can pick.

Well it's hard for me to tell what type of port that controller port is, but I'd be surprised if you could only use their own NGCD style controller with this thing.

But also, I don't know why you'd assume even the *switches* would be the same on the new controllers. I'm sure these are an adaptation, not a recreation.

As for the controls on the system itself, it's clearly too small for a straight layout. I'm not sure some of you guys are totally understanding how small this thing must be if these photos and the screen size are true. A 3.5", 4:3 screen is only 2.8" wide. There looks to be about another 1/2" on either side for the bezels. It's got to be about 4" wide in total. You're just not going to be physically able to play with your hand spread out.

Bottom line for me is if you want everything to be exactly like an AES, go buy an AES. I never understand it when people judge something harshly because it's not exactly like some other thing they probably even already have. This isn't a re-release of the AES with all the games built in; this is a mini plug and play machine.

My thoughts...

Mini arcade cabinet looks interesting and sets it apart from other plug & plays out there, reminds me of those Coleco Mini Arcade games. Hopefully they'll release the candy red MVS version for Western markets in additrion to the Japanese style.

Good that it has HDMI output and USB controlers but this leads to me major grip. The face button placement is wrong...

NeoGeo CD:	Plug & Play:
----------	------------

C  D		A  C

A  B		B  D

A - Light Punch B - Light Kick C - Strong Punch  D- Strong Kick

Ok, the plug & play's arrangement would work for fighting games since it resembles Street Fighter buttons (minus ones for heavy attacks) but it would be awkward for other types of games like shooters. Your thumb would have to be diagnoally downward from A to B, which is the style for SNES & modern console games but not for those used to using NeoGeo controllers.

But other than that it looks interesting...

Bottom line for me is if you want everything to be exactly like an AES, go buy an AES. I never understand it when people judge something harshly because it's not exactly like some other thing they probably even already have. This isn't a re-release of the AES with all the games built in; this is a mini plug and play machine.

You're right, it isn't modeled after the home console. It's modeled after the Japanese arcade cabinets, and that button layout is not remotely conducive to even replicating the MVS experience.

What's the point of having an anniversary edition if it doesn't even remotely come close to replicating what you're trying to celebrate? One of the reasons the SNES classic was so well received is because Nintendo gives you controllers that are 1:1 to the original. It feels like you're playing SNES.

What if instead Nintendo issued you surplus IR dvd remotes for controllers. I then told you shouldn't judge it harshly because it isn't exactly like some thing you probably already have.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

I posted this on the Neo-Geo thread . Thought I share it on here from this YouTuber with his personal views towards the leaked info.

Anthony

I saw this episode last night. I agree with some of his points, especially with Football Frenzy being in place over Baseball Stars 2 and/or Super Baseball 2020 and too many KOF and Metal Slug titles. Still, no matter how you slice it, this looks to be one pretty cool retro device. However, time will tell once SNK officially reveals the device. Heck, they might have leaked the information themselves just to see what people say and determine what titles to ultimately include/exclude. But, to call out-and-out bullsh*t on this is a little off in my opinion.

I think what we're getting so far perhaps is a mix of truth and troll bait. The hardware mostly makes sense, but the button array I think could cause some problems, especially in their known staple of fighting games. The buttons should have in that space been aligned like a neo-geo gamepad layout at least. And yes the candy cab would confuse the average non-Japanese because those who aren't SNK nuts wont' know about those candy cabs and just think of the big red cabinets instead but that's just a plastic molding they could change too (like Nintendo did with SNES-US vs SFC-JPN markets for the classic edition.)

And the game list just has a lot of problems where it seems setup by trolls to get a reaction. I mean if it's real, it's stupid in ways and not in others.

• Like 2

I think what we're getting so far perhaps is a mix of truth and troll bait. The hardware mostly makes sense, but the button array I think could cause some problems, especially in their known staple of fighting games. The buttons should have in that space been aligned like a neo-geo gamepad layout at least. And yes the candy cab would confuse the average non-Japanese because those who aren't SNK nuts wont' know about those candy cabs and just think of the big red cabinets instead but that's just a plastic molding they could change too (like Nintendo did with SNES-US vs SFC-JPN markets for the classic edition.)

And the game list just has a lot of problems where it seems setup by trolls to get a reaction. I mean if it's real, it's stupid in ways and not in others.

That very well could be. Right now this information is not even official from SNK. All we have is the reported leak. Time will only tell what is real and not real. However, if the official reveal comes close to this, along with a reasonable price, it should be a hot ticket item.

I dislike rumors, but we know something exists, just not what so we go by that. But if all the stories are accurate to a degree, one could perhaps assume most of that game list is right, the shell for Japan/Asia is right, and that the so-called $100USD~ price may be right too. If it is of a quality enough build, has that price point, a decent list of titles, and it runs solidly unlike the Tommo mess I'd buy it.

• Like 1

I dislike rumors, but we know something exists, just not what so we go by that. But if all the stories are accurate to a degree, one could perhaps assume most of that game list is right, the shell for Japan/Asia is right, and that the so-called $100USD~ price may be right too. If it is of a quality enough build, has that price point, a decent list of titles, and it runs solidly unlike the Tommo mess I'd buy it.

Agreed. This looks like a good, borderline great mini console. However, we will just have to see what the official product is.

SNK confirmed it.

Sounds a lot smaller than I think many people were hoping it would be, so I wish if I were buying this that there was a 2nd choice for a cheaper dedicated console version meant strictly for connecting to a television.

The NEOGEO mini, a video game console celebrating the 40th Anniversary of SNK’s brand is announced!
40 legendary NEOGEO titles will be included!

The NEOGEO mini is a video game console, which will include 40 nostalgic titles from the NEOGEO system, which made its debut in 1990. This console will feature a 3.5 inches display, meaning the games can be enjoyed with no need to connect to a TV or monitor! The size of the NEOGEO mini means it fits perfectly in the palm of one’s hand. The NEOGEO mini will be available in two different designs, one for the Asian market and the other one for overseas markets (for North America, South America, Europe and other regions). With its design in black, white, and red, the Japanese version of the NEOGEO mini will faithfully reproduce the original NEOGEO arcade cabinet that was introduced in Japan in 1990. The overseas version will be a simple and modern design in black, white and blue.

We hope you look forward to enjoying the NEOGEO mini along with its legendary and popular NEOGEO titles.
For more details such as the release date and title lineup, please stay tuned for future announcements.

TITLE DETAILS:
■Product name: NEOGEO mini
■Number of titles: 40 titles
■Display size: 3.5 inches
■Size and weight: W135mm x D108mm x H162mm /600g
■Accessory: Power supply cable (AC adaptor will not be included)
■Connection terminals: HDMI terminal (Input for TV monitor), headphone terminal, 2 external controller terminals

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/994399824362393600

32105567_631346187207705_383417050260412

32231591_631346283874362_488844575240722

Edited by Atariboy

What a damned joke. I wouldn't buy this crap for 50 bucks, and yet, for some reason I doubt it's going to be this cheap. Clearly this is targeting people who are looking for a shiny collectible over people who want to play Neo Geo games. To each their own I guess.

The japanese model is at least a Replica of a cabinet they used to have. What is the western version? Some stylized representation of a middle finger?

Edited by leods
  • Like 2

What a damned joke. I wouldn't buy this crap for 50 bucks, and yet, for some reason I doubt it's going to be this cheap. Clearly this is targeting people who are looking for a shiny collectible over people who want to play Neo Geo games. To each their own I guess.

The japanese model is at least a Replica of a cabinet they used to have. What is the western version? Some stylized representation of a middle finger?

Agreed. I've never seen any Neo Geo cab in the US that looked anything at all like the International Version of the Mini. It's like if Nintendo made an NES Mini but instead of styling the exterior of the system to look like an NES they made it look like a miniature vaccume cleaner. Apparently it was too much to ask of Neo Geo to make the Mini actually look like a previously existing Neo Geo product.

Also, I find the lack of Bust-A-Move disturbing.

• Like 1

If that game list is still accurate, this thing is garbage regardless of shape. Top Players Golf instead of Neo Turf Masters? Are you freaking kidding me? :mad: Football Frenzy, Super Sidekicks etc... :thumbsdown: How about Ultimate 11 and Baseball Stars 2?

I realize no third party stuff, but Neo Geo isn't Neo Geo without Bust a Move, Windjammers, Magical Drop et al.

• Like 1

Well, the release didn't mention anything about pricing and/or titles. While the leaked game list might just be what we are all getting, I wouldn't be surprised if that changed. After all, AtGames updated their lists on the Genesis HD FB and Atari 8 HD Gold FB after their official announcements.

Well, the release didn't mention anything about pricing and/or titles. While the leaked game list might just be what we are all getting, I wouldn't be surprised if that changed. After all, AtGames updated their lists on the Genesis HD FB and Atari 8 HD Gold FB after their official announcements.

That's because people complained about all the crapware.

Wow because it looks like a candy cab it's a piece of crap. We know little other than how it plugs in, what the frame looks like, and how it is powered and that it will have some list of 40 games. We don't know the games, we don't know how comfortable or not it is, how it displays to a HDMI (or standard) TV connection, how well it plays that unknown list of games, and what the added cost and how comfy those neo-geo aes/cd controllers they'll use are either.

Yet again, it's a piece of crap. Typical retrogamer elitist attitude. If you don't want to play with the original expensive toys, it's not good enough.

I will jump on the it's not great bandwagon after the game list is truly disclosed, seeing how it functions alone also on HDMI, and the price point. Right now it's just close minded to go on the attack due to the way the exterior looks alone with the key parts of what this is not disclosed or even tried out publicly at all. If it is right I question even with Japanese interests being primary why Neo Turf Masters and either Baseball Stars are like 2 huge sports in Japan so it is confusing. NTM is the same maker as Metal Slug so they're licensed fine, but the others from stuff like Taito I could see that being excluded easily enough like it or not. I still wonder if it is troll bait because Football Frenzy makes no sense as the Japanese don't play it or even care about that sport so that's a huge red flag.

• Like 2

I think it looks great so far, and at least they're trying something a bit different with the form factor. As always, if you want perfection, get the original hardware. If it actually performs like it's supposed to, I'm definitely onboard with this.

• Like 2

I think it looks great so far, and at least they're trying something a bit different with the form factor. As always, if you want perfection, get the original hardware. If it actually performs like it's supposed to, I'm definitely onboard with this.

I don't follow.. The form factor doesn't fit the functionality of a proper bar top. The game list is severely nerfed to the point I'd say some of those games are not good.

Compare that to the SNES classic. Nintendo gives you proper controllers. All the games are quality. They realized some popular games were 3rd party and reached out to acquire the licenses for their inclusion.

SNK (or whoever they are now) has done NONE of that. So I don't understand how you could say it "looks great".

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1