IGNORED

Leaving the Scene

plbyrd

Lame deleting all your stuff. You could have just turned it over to a third party and been done with it but you seem to feel good about denying the community of your work. Good riddance then, way to go out as a jerk.

Edited by norm8332

Hello King Durin / plbyrd-- I believe we met at an ECCC / VCF in Chicago a few years ago. You seemed like a pretty decent guy, and I totally empathize with you in this decision.

The CSDb will never let your releases go, so purging your stuff from the Internet is entirely impossible. If you still have your active account on the database, just try to delete your stuff. It'll come back like a bad penny.

The Commodore scene is full of the worst of the worst people-- the same people in this thread calling you a "whiner" and a "jerk" times 100. The majority of the Commodore "scene" are in their 40s and 50s now days, and they *still* can't resist calling names like 8th graders and playground bullies.Tsk.

I was on the receiving end of it for too long. Never again.

Don't let these entitled people bring you down. I would say to not let them chase you from the "scene," but the modern C64 scene is like a sandbox full of turds and really not worth the time and headaches to develop software for. I am probably one of the few people who think you are doing the right thing in halting your development for the system. It's your work, your time, and your altruism. It's really amazing that so many people feel entitled to your labors simply because it exists on their favored platform. You owe them nothing.

If you ever get bitten by the retro bug again, I suggest looking in to developing on the Apple II line ( E / GS) or for the Atari 8 bits. I walked away from the Commodore 64 a few years ago and have been developing for other 8-bit hardware, and the difference between users of the Apple II and the Commodore 64 is VERY stark. The people and users of my software on the Apple II line are helpful and thankful, and I really enjoy talking to people in those communities. They are active on Reddit, Usenet, and Facebook community pages, and I finally remembered what it felt like to be part of a fun, positive, and exciting computing community like I did back in the '80s. Perhaps that's what you'll need after you step away for a while. A breather can be very therapeutic, after all.

Either way, the best of luck to you! If you happen to make it out to ECCC again this year, send me a PM and I'll buy you a beer. Take care--

• Like 1

Lame deleting all your stuff. You could have just turned it over to a third party and been done with it but you seem to feel good about denying the community of your work. Good riddance then, way to go out as a jerk.

Feel free to make an offer, or explain why you think you're entitled to schwag from a party you have no business dealings with.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

The Commodore scene is full of the worst of the worst people-- the same people in this thread calling you a "whiner" and a "jerk" times 100. The majority of the Commodore "scene" are in their 40s and 50s now days, and they *still* can't resist calling names like 8th graders and playground bullies.Tsk.

Don't let these entitled people bring you down. I would say to not let them chase you from the "scene," but the modern C64 scene is like a sandbox full of turds and really not worth the time and headaches to develop software for. I am probably one of the few people who think you are doing the right thing in halting your development for the system. It's your work, your time, and your altruism. It's really amazing that so many people feel entitled to your labors simply because it exists on their favored platform. You owe them nothing.

If you ever get bitten by the retro bug again, I suggest looking in to developing on the Apple II line ( E / GS) or for the Atari 8 bits. I walked away from the Commodore 64 a few years ago and have been developing for other 8-bit hardware, and the difference between users of the Apple II and the Commodore 64 is VERY stark. The people and users of my software on the Apple II line are helpful and thankful, and I really enjoy talking to people in those communities. They are active on Reddit, Usenet, and Facebook community pages, and I finally remembered what it felt like to be part of a fun, positive, and exciting computing community like I did back in the '80s. Perhaps that's what you'll need after you step away for a while. A breather can be very therapeutic, after all.

Either way, the best of luck to you! If you happen to make it out to ECCC again this year, send me a PM and I'll buy you a beer. Take care--

What a bunch of bull. If plbyrd was really sincere about all this, he would have just quit, without this post. He obviously wanted some fanfare on his leaving.

There are loads of great people involved with the Commodore community. There are a few jerks in every retro computer community, and the Apple eight bit is not immune.

• Like 2

There are loads of great people involved with the Commodore community. There are a few jerks in every retro computer community, and the Apple eight bit is not immune.

Sooooo many people today have lost the art of compartmentalizing. I find this entire thread sad.

• Like 3

What a bunch of bull. If plbyrd was really sincere about all this, he would have just quit, without this post. He obviously wanted some fanfare on his leaving.

From what I can tell, you are an end user rather than a producer. You have no entry on the CSDb and nothing on here or Lemon indicates you are anything more than a platform enthusiast. This is fine, but perhaps you and I ran in different circles. Get back to me when you start coding, writing music, or pixeling for the C64.

I have programmed for many, many platforms since 1982-- computers, consoles, whatever. The worst-- WORST-- community by FAR is the Commodore 64. Nothing else compares to it.

If I had done what Durin did here on any of those other platforms, I would have received a "sorry to see you go, thanks!" and it would have been done. I could do that in my A2 communities today and would receive that. But the thing is, I don't think I'll ever have to. While there might be "jerks" in those communities, I have yet to encounter them in nearly ten years of programming and participation. I have spent ten minutes on this subforum-- this THREAD-- and have encountered a half a dozen. From my 35 years experience in Commodoreland, I doubt that is selection bias on my part.

In this thread alone, Durin was called names, shamed, and had his motives and sincerity questioned by people like you. Please tell me why you had anything other than "Okay, sad to see you go."

Do you feel like you're part of the problem yet? Do you feel like your attitude could be part of the problem? I assume not, which I think is really sad. At your age, you should be a little more situationally aware. Hang out on the CSDb for a while to get your finger on the pulse of this crap. Read the forums and look at the "feedback" on releases. See how the voting system there is weaponized against people they don't like or don't know. See how people treat one another there. It's really, really sad, and it's been that way since it was created.

For whatever reason, the C64 community fetishizes driving people away, gatekeeping, and maintaining those ludicrous cliques from the '90s instead of having fun and creating awesome things. Durin is the most recent in a very, very long line of people who have left due to the toxicity of this "community," I am absolutely certain he won't be the last.

I have programmed for many, many platforms since 1982-- computers, consoles, whatever. The worst-- WORST-- community by FAR is the Commodore 64. Nothing else compares to it.

There are communities I'd consider far worse personally, some of the reactions I've received over the years as a C64 bunny at forums for the Sinclair Spectrum, Amstrad CPC and even here in the Atari 8-bit section are far worse than I've experienced in C64 circles; I have nearly walked away from this forum a few times and needed to step back and calm down on far more occasions than I care to remember...

In this thread alone, Durin was called names, shamed, and had his motives and sincerity questioned by people like you. Please tell me why you had anything other than "Okay, sad to see you go."

Some of it will be because people don't like to see hard work destroyed or are upset at the idea of a part of the C64's history or indeed someone's legacy essentially being erased as they leave. And taking a public and indeed abrupt "scorched earth" exit strategy like that is inviting questions, the first being "what the hell happened to cause this?". If I ever end up in the headspace required to do something that destructive then I hope people don't just shrug and say "sad to see you go".

• Like 4

Hello King Durin / plbyrd-- I believe we met at an ECCC / VCF in Chicago a few years ago. You seemed like a pretty decent guy, and I totally empathize with you in this decision.

The CSDb will never let your releases go, so purging your stuff from the Internet is entirely impossible. If you still have your active account on the database, just try to delete your stuff. It'll come back like a bad penny.

BS, who made you the "god" of the Retro community? And I'll call whoever I think is a jerk a jerk and just because you're acting like a butt kisser doesn't make me feel bad about it.

@keepdreamin - You are entitled to your opinion - But I have contributed to this community and would never consider taking it all down. And that "schwag" was released publicly. Once I release something publicly and free, I consider it community property. All removing it now is doing is making it harder for future enthusiasts to find. BTW, I never said I was entitled to anything.

Edited by norm8332

That is not what he did. He did not say, "Hey, guys, I gotta duck out because all this retro stuff is interfering with my family life. So long, and thanks for all the fish." Maybe that is part-and-parcel to the C= community as opposed to the A2 community, but it the comparison of the communities is irrelevant given the circumstances as, irrespective, if you lob a shit bomb you have to expect to get a little splattered.

Having been on both sides, I understand what happens when a hobby takes over one's life and takes them away from people. Is easy enough to bow out gracefully and give a nod to those who appreciate your work, but to treat everyone as assholes is uncalled for. The assholes know who they are. This goes in any hobby: if you are the top dog in the Geocaching community and decided it was taking away from your family, it would be just as absurd to say, "I'm out, everyone are jerks, and don't touch my caches because I'm done with this community."

The notion is just ridiculous on its face.

• Like 1

From what I can tell, you are an end user rather than a producer. You have no entry on the CSDb and nothing on here or Lemon indicates you are anything more than a platform enthusiast. This is fine, but perhaps you and I ran in different circles. Get back to me when you start coding, writing music, or pixeling for the C64.

You should never make such broad assumptions. To assume I don't code, or write/play music is just short sighted. I guess there's a lot of that going on here.

Check the Amiga scene before passing judgement.

I have programmed for many, many platforms since 1982-- computers, consoles, whatever.

Your credentials are impeccable.

• Like 1

I can understand people leaving a scene, there are so many reasons, all of them valid.

What I don't understand is why somebody would absolutely want to take their artifacts and remove them? This is a concept that is _very_ alien to me, as virtually everything I have ever worked on, that wasn't explicitly forbidden to publically distribute (e.g. artifacts for a commercial entity), I have put somewhere so that others can benefit from it.

-Thom

• Like 2

As noted, his works will be re-uploaded to the same and different sites even if he removes it. I don't know if hiring a lawyer helps in this case, and I doubt he would be interested in spending money on that anyway since it is not software he makes money on having the sole distribution of. Sure, he can be bitter and dislike the community even more for not obeying to his desires, but as far as I can tell, that is about all that can happen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried to leave. It’s just not worth it. I’d be in the loony bin without the scene. I don’t fully understand people being in or out of something that is purely extracurricular. Of course my parents divorced when I was very young, so I have detachment issues.(tmi, oh well)

• Like 1

I tried to leave. It’s just not worth it. I’d be in the loony bin without the scene. I don’t fully understand people being in or out of something that is purely extracurricular. Of course my parents divorced when I was very young, so I have detachment issues.(tmi, oh well)

No worries. Does, however, cause me to wonder what makes me such a pack-rat.

• 2 months later...