IGNORED

New Nintendo 3ds?

Video

Just a question, what exactly (outside of the inclusion, or exclusion of 3d obviously) is the difference between the new 3ds, and new 2ds?

My day one 3d's is dying and it's time for a new one, but the 2d one is like $100 less. I love the glassesless 3d experience, but Don't know if I really want to pay an extra $100 for it.

And, outside of an extra analog stick, anything really different from the original? Are there any games that will only work on the new ds systems, and for my crusty old games, do they benefit in any way from the new system?

Oh, is it still ds compatible?

Thanks for any info.

This is from 2015 but it summarizes the changes to the New 3DS and lists some games (at that time) that took advantage of some of those changes: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/games-that-are-better-on-the-new-nintendo-3ds/1100-6425283/

This list shows more of the New 3DS exclusive games (which won't work on the original): https://www.neogaf.com/threads/games-that-are-exclusive-enhanced-on-the-new-3ds.1177455/

Supposedly the 3D tracking is better on the New 3DS as well because of the extra camera; I've never had the illusion break while playing on mine. I've heard that can happen more often on the original.

Here's a comparison on Nintendo's site between the New 2DS and New 3DS: https://www.nintendo.com/2ds/features/compare

Everything I've read says they're exactly the same, featurewise, except for the 3D. There are some minor differences in design and look, but nothing functional that I know of.

Those who are really into the 3DS can comment on the screens, because different 3DS/2DS models have different screen types and I'm not sure how to guarantee you get the "good" screens. I'm pretty sure my New 3DS has TN screens for both upper and lower, but some have TFT, and some have one TN and one TFT. I'm not sure what the 2DS has but someone else might.

Edited by spacecadet

The short of it the New3DS has boosted hardware with the CPU speed, RAM, other things. It has vastly improved 3D as it head tracks you so it stays solid without scattering the image if you move ever so slightly left/right while playing. Also adds a little nub that works like a second joystick on a normal game pad for camera view. I don't think much of anything else really is worth that big of a reason to read into, though some of the boosts have also allowed the features of the system in places to run nicer like faster pop through screens/menus and the browser isn't so chugging slow too for websites.

The system does in fact improve the ability of some games to run better, faster, less load screens(or far less time on them) with stuff developed around the time it arrived (SMash Bros, Hyrule Warriors), and after.

By the way my suggestion is to just go all in and get the New 3DS XL. The 2DSXL is fine and all, but if you want 3D it's pointless. The normal New 3DS is fine, just smaller.

I would strongly suggest a comfortable grip if you play for little bit longer periods though with the big XL version -- https://www.amazon.com/CYBER-Rubber-coated-grip-New-3DS-Red/dp/B013JDHA0M

I had this repeatedly thrown at me as a must own if you end up having sore backs of your hands after a bit, especially from L/R button use. Those grips are stunningly comfortable, very good grip on them, and make the system as comfy as using one of NIntendo's console pro controller type gamepads.

Edited by Tanooki

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j6MygV8FODU

I think this pretty much covers it. (Remember that he asked for the difference between the New 3DS and New 2DS!) I like that the micro SD slot is easy to reach, because having it resting inside the system as it is with the New 3DS is just annoying. Don't like the perportedly duller colors on the New 2DS screen, though.

I have the New 3DS XL and don't feel the need for a side-grade, buuuut if you're new to the whole 3DS thing, the New 2DS seems like a fair choice. I don't use the 3D on my system... it's kind of a nuisance, and I wouldn't miss it that much if I didn't have it.

As an owner of every generation of 3DS and a huge fan of stereoscopic 3D gaming, I can honestly say that it's an absolutely night and day difference between playing games in 3D on a New 3DS / XL and all the previous generations of 3DS systems. The big game changing factor is that the New 3DS systems have a head tracking camera and IR sensor built into the top screen that tracks the position of your head while you play to keep the 3D effect perfectly aligned to your eyes and always in focus while you play.

No more trying to keep the system centered in a sweet spot to keep the 3D effect in focus and no more eye strain, headaches, or motion sickness from the 3D effect going out of focus every time you move the system or your head while playing. The New 3DS keeps the 3D in focus so you don't get those unpleasant side effects anymore and can just enjoy playing your games in 3D. On the older 3DS systems I could only turn the 3D on for 15 or 20 minutes at a time before I got a headache and my stomach started feeling a little wobbly, but now with the New 3DS I leave the 3D on 100% of the time and can play it all day long with no ill effects at all.

There are other little benefits to the New 3DS like the ZL and ZR buttons and C-Stick for games that support the Circle Pad Pro accessory (they're basically just a Circle Pad Pro built into the system) as well as a faster processor for speedier load times and faster downloads and a built in NFC reader in the lower screen for Amiibo functionality, but the head tracking 3D is really the main selling point for the New 3DS line. If you're into playing games in 3D then the New 3DS / XL is the only way to fly. :)

P.S.: If you do end up looking more into getting a New 3DS system you'll likely stumble across some discussions online about how some New 3DS systems have IPS screens and some have TN screens. This was an issue when the New 3DS first launched because the color temperatures of the screens weren't very well calibrated at that point and the ones with IPS screens had a significantly better picture quality than the ones with TN screens, but for the last couple years Nintendo had since moved on to producing all their New 3DS systems with very well calibrated TN screens. These new better calibrated TN screens generally look just as good if not better than the early IPS screens, so don't stress out over the screens. If you walk into a retail store and buy a current production New 3DS XL you will get one with great looking screens in it.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

Cool, I figured they were basically the same. My screen is going out so I need a new one. I really like the 3d, and the new3ds xl is $200 and the smaller new 2ds is like $80. Of course, I play enough if appreciate a bigger screen, not sure the various types of screens will matter to me, heck, I still regularly play my dmg with its low res vomit green screen.

Anyhow, thanks for the info guys. Probably get one next week.

• Like 2

Cool, I figured they were basically the same. My screen is going out so I need a new one. I really like the 3d, and the new3ds xl is $200 and the smaller new 2ds is like $80. Of course, I play enough if appreciate a bigger screen, not sure the various types of screens will matter to me, heck, I still regularly play my dmg with its low res vomit green screen.

Anyhow, thanks for the info guys. Probably get one next week.

Don't confuse the *new* 2DS XL (about $150) for a regular 2DS (about $80). There's only about a $50 price difference between the *new* 2DS XL and a *new* 3DS XL. If you enjoy the 3D, then you probably want to spend the extra cash (and the 3D on the *new* 3DS XL is excellent compared to the original 3DS). If you don't care for the 3D and also don't mind the loss of the clamshell design, then maybe the cheaper $80 *regular* 2DS will be fine for you. I have found the regular 2DS, while considerably cheaper, is not nearly as comfortable on my hands as the clamshell versions are.

• Like 3

I just upgraded to a Pikachu New 3DS XL from the older model in blue and I'm very happy I did. I loled the 3D but never used it before as I'm a very antsy person and it never stayed in focus with all my shifting about. This is rock solid except when my cat hops on my lap. I also really enjoy like the other minor modifications to the design like removal of the sliders on the side of the lower shell. I totally recommend if the cost isn't a factor.

Also really tickled at the appearance of this particular model. My wife got the Galaxy one and feels similarly.

Don't confuse the *new* 2DS XL (about $150) for a regular 2DS (about $80). There's only about a $50 price difference between the *new* 2DS XL and a *new* 3DS XL. If you enjoy the 3D, then you probably want to spend the extra cash (and the 3D on the *new* 3DS XL is excellent compared to the original 3DS). If you don't care for the 3D and also don't mind the loss of the clamshell design, then maybe the cheaper $80 *regular* 2DS will be fine for you. I have found the regular 2DS, while considerably cheaper, is not nearly as comfortable on my hands as the clamshell versions are.

Yeah, all that ... AND the build quality of the "New 2DS" is not nearly as nice as that of the "New 3DS."

I thought I'd "sidegrade" to the "New 2DS" when it came out -- I don't really care about 3D, I liked the slimmer, lighter design in photos, and I pretty much only play games from the microSD so I didn't care about the cartridge slot. I got one on launch day and did the (lengthy, tedious) System Transfer. Then all the little annoyances started to get on my nerves. The speakers on the New 2DS are of much lower quality, they fuzz out and distort if you turn up the volume more than halfway, which isn't as loud as the New 3DS. The hinge is much floppier and looser than that of the New 3DS. The lighter plastic is OK, but feels "cheap" in the hand.

Gamestop wouldn't take back an open system (I didn't know this when I bought it) and Nintendo made me wait a week before I could reverse the System Transfer. I ended up flipping it on eBay which was a small loss after shipping, fees, etc. but at least I didn't have the less-than-great thing in my possession any longer.

So choose wisely, as you'll be stuck with it. That extra $50 is worth it in my opinion.

• Like 1

Yeah, all that ... AND the build quality of the "New 2DS" is not nearly as nice as that of the "New 3DS."

I thought I'd "sidegrade" to the "New 2DS" when it came out -- I don't really care about 3D, I liked the slimmer, lighter design in photos, and I pretty much only play games from the microSD so I didn't care about the cartridge slot. I got one on launch day and did the (lengthy, tedious) System Transfer. Then all the little annoyances started to get on my nerves. The speakers on the New 2DS are of much lower quality, they fuzz out and distort if you turn up the volume more than halfway, which isn't as loud as the New 3DS. The hinge is much floppier and looser than that of the New 3DS. The lighter plastic is OK, but feels "cheap" in the hand.

Gamestop wouldn't take back an open system (I didn't know this when I bought it) and Nintendo made me wait a week before I could reverse the System Transfer. I ended up flipping it on eBay which was a small loss after shipping, fees, etc. but at least I didn't have the less-than-great thing in my possession any longer.

So choose wisely, as you'll be stuck with it. That extra $50 is worth it in my opinion.

i'm glad to read of a real review of the New 2DS- i almost replaced my wife's aging regular 2DS with it but she wanted the 'galaxy' New 3DS instead. She's much happier with the bigger (more sturdy) device.

Well since my screen died, it's likely I'll want the better quality one. It's quite likely they were in the wrong slots at the local store, I figured that was a bit of a price difference for only the addiction of 3d.

I played the hell out of that thing and am surprised if lasted as long as it did, it the new one lasts as well its likely I'll never wear it out as the thing will be replaced or discontinued long before that happens. What is it, 7~ish years old now?

I played the hell out of that thing and am surprised if lasted as long as it did, it the new one lasts as well its likely I'll never wear it out as the thing will be replaced or discontinued long before that happens. What is it, 7~ish years old now?

March 2011 (3DS), August 2012 (XL), Feb 2015/Sept 2015 (New XL/New) and the non-XL New3DS was killed off in 2017.

Depending how you view the 3DS vs New3DS you're looking at a 7 year old or a 3 year old system. Kind of like old GB and GBC, same hardware but beefed up, some (like Nintendo) see them as different hardware, others jumble it together.

When I was looking to get back into 3DS gaming, I wanted a New 3DS but not the XL. I gound the LL Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer version for a good price but the guy behind the counter was very insistant that I get a New 2DS instead. I didn't like the size of the XL as it was a tad unconfortable. The LL was, like Goldilocks and baby bear's bed, "just right". Of course he had me try his, which I did but still declined.

When I went to upgrade my daughter's standard 3DS to an XL, again this dude tried to sell me up to a New 2DS. I told him she wasn't interested in the added power. I found a 3DS XL Zelda edition, which I got and my daughter loves.

After reading this thread, I'm glad I didn't go New 2DS if I was on the fence.

After reading this thread, I'm glad I didn't go New 2DS if I was on the fence.

It's not BAD, it's just not as nice as some of the others. I'm confused by your use of LL. I think that's just the Japanese name for XL?

My order of preference would be like this, from best to worst:

New 3DS XL (big loud, easy to see, fast)

New 2DS (good compatibility, can get in Dreamcast Orange)

New 3DS (hard to find, smaller in the hand -- customizable faceplates)

3DS XL (big, loud, everywhere)

3DS (original clamshell, shiny)

2DS (slab-shaped, cheap, ugly)

Did I miss any? I think anything would be an upgrade over the super-low-end 2DS.

It's not BAD, it's just not as nice as some of the others. I'm confused by your use of LL. I think that's just the Japanese name for XL?

My order of preference would be like this, from best to worst:

New 3DS XL (big loud, easy to see, fast)

New 2DS (good compatibility, can get in Dreamcast Orange)

New 3DS (hard to find, smaller in the hand -- customizable faceplates)

3DS XL (big, loud, everywhere)

3DS (original clamshell, shiny)

2DS (slab-shaped, cheap, ugly)

Did I miss any? I think anything would be an upgrade over the super-low-end 2DS.

Oops I meant plain New 3DS. I thought it was called the LL.

To me the biggest thing about the New 3DS XL is the FACE TRACKING for the 3D. That's usually downplayed by a lot of people or mentioned in passing because most don't care about 3D, but to me it's a pretty huge deal. For example playing Starfox 64 looks awesome in 3D but is essentially unplayable that way on older 3DS's. With the face tracking though it makes it 100% better.. if you play it in 3D that is. :)

(semi-unrelated pic of DS's for sale in shinjuku over the summer.. I didn't buy anything)

post-31-0-84054700-1524676475_thumb.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

To me the biggest thing about the New 3DS XL is the FACE TRACKING for the 3D. That's usually downplayed by a lot of people or mentioned in passing because most don't care about 3D, but to me it's a pretty huge deal. For example playing Starfox 64 looks awesome in 3D but is essentially unplayable that way on older 3DS's. With the face tracking though it makes it 100% better.. if you play it in 3D that is. :)

(semi-unrelated pic of DS's for sale in shinjuku over the summer.. I didn't buy anything)

attachicon.gif2017-07-10 12.47.35.jpg

My thoughts exactly! Also, if it wasn't for the region locking I would totally go for one of those lavender colored Japanese 2DS systems. I actually find the slab form factor really comfortable to hold and it would be a nice compliment to my Galaxy Style New 3DS XL for games like Pokémon Ultra Sun / Moon, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, and Super Mario Maker that don't use the 3D feature at all. Who knows though, maybe some day Nintendo will do a software update to remove region locking on 3DS / 2DS systems.

WGVFs71.jpg

Edited by Jin

I find the slab as you call it comfortable for a little while, but on games that need more than just the few face buttons or just extended play it starts to get a little painful on the back of the hand tendons.

That's why I suggested this: https://www.amazon.com/CYBER-Rubber-coated-grip-New-3DS-Red/dp/B013JDHA0M (and that is the previous box art model, it's still sold despite amazons dumb link) and it feels so pro controller comfortable now I just leave it on there. It does surprise me still at times how powerful the New3DS is given the type of hardware it is sporting as it seems to come up fairly well close to what the old Wii was possible with given the performance of stuff like Xenoblade and Donkey Kong which were both ported/converted.

It would be nice if they killed the region lock, there are a few Japanese games I'd so go for but it's just not going to happen as it's too much of a barrier in their minds given the eshop and stuff they did get touchy over. I still can't believe I'm actually enjoying a pokemon game again after so long. I've got like 14hours into Ultra Sun so far, just got the waterium-z piece and wandered on down to the opening to where the battle arena spot should be next. Oddly finding it not hard to commit to putting an hour on it at least most nights. It has to be the whole new format where it's very JRPG story heavy so you don't just get bored doing some wash rinse repeat boring grinding of catch, level and or release (to the box) just for badges alone.

• 2 months later...

Well I picked one up. It's a galaxy one, like the purple color, but uh, the image on the cover is some printed thing, so how long will that last? I do actually carry my handhelds around a lot so it's likely to get trashed LOL.

Where is the sd card at? I see nowhere obvious, I was just going to put the 16 gb card from my original 3ds in it, since the included card is only 4gb.

I get it home, charge it and start it up and was like "holyshit, this screen looks terrible." I poked around a bit and found it was in some power saver mode and turned that off. Why the nasty colors in that mode anyways? It looks like you covered the screen with yellow cellophane or something. Anyhow, looks great now it's set up properly.

I did not like the auto tracking 3d thing, it would just go out of focus constantly, but it's great turned off. I wasn't aware I moved so much, but apparently I have an easier time keeping the 3d working than the system does.

The extra shoulder buttons are kinda weird. Unusual using them side by side rather than top to bottom like most controllers. Not really a problem so far, just weird.

My only real gripe is, the buttons, c stick, and hinge are all to close together. I'm sure I'll get used to it as time goes on, but at the moment I constantly hit one of the buttons when I'm going for the stick. Also, I hope that thing loosens up with use, it's stiff as hell at the moment. I think I delaminated my thumbnail the first day trying to use it.

Now I just need to pick up some games. Due to lack of shooters and adventure types, I haven't bought a new game in years outside of the odd ds game.

The memory card hides under the bottom panel. 2 screws hold it in place if I remember right towards the back (card slot side) and it just slides away once those are taken out. The New 3DS XL much like the canceled New 3DS can replace the rear plate easily like that, just not the top one. I'm surprised you had trouble with the 3D being on because the head tracking is very reliable. The little c-stick though I do agree about, it is kind of tough feeling and just a little too close to the hinge which even Nintendo knew putting that little indentation there. I don't use my nail but the top/front part of the thumb tip pad instead which worked out better. I tried the nail but it didn't feel right.

I hated power save too as it washes stuff out and it barely saves battery anyway. I do not know your tastes but there are two great Final Fantasy and one Hatsune Miku music games that work. If you like brawler types but with some RPG elements to make it more interesting kind of like how Dragon's Crown did it there's Code of Princess from Atlus. The old PS2 game Tales of the Abyss has a really beautiful release for a standard more or less type RPG. Most the licensed Adventure Time games weren't good but the very first was great and was a clone of Zelda 2. And then on Steam there is that 2D Castlevania game, it came originally from 3DS and it's worth a look as it's like a mix of Castlevania 3 and SOTN.

I don't want to recommend easy first party stuff, but if you got bored of pokemon being the same so much that latest game ultra sun and moon that one plays like a normal JRPG with an actual story and not the usual replay of the same 20 years of games, not that it dumps the training, random trainer battles and basic mechanics but it adds a lot.

I did not like the auto tracking 3d thing, it would just go out of focus constantly, but it's great turned off. I wasn't aware I moved so much, but apparently I have an easier time keeping the 3d working than the system does.

Same here. To be honest I never had any problems with the original model, although it took me some time to adjust with the new 3DS. I guess I don't move that much. :grin:

But I hate the auto tracking thing because it makes the screen flicker a little, which is really distracting - my computer LCD did the same thing just before it died. :( I read somewhere that it doesn't work very well if you wear glasses, so I turned it off since I almost never lose 3D anyway...

However I use the power save function and I've never seen my battery lower than half. :) I know it's quite horrible when you activate it because everything turns yellowish, but you forget about it very quickly - your brain somehow does the white balance. As a matter of fact my new glasses also have a UV filter than turn everything slighty yellow as well, but since I wear them all the time, I don't notice it at all.

Edited by roots.genoa

Same here. To be honest I never had any problems with the original model, although it took me some time to adjust with the new 3DS. I guess I don't move that much. :grin:

But I hate the auto tracking thing because it makes the screen flicker a little, which is really distracting - my computer LCD did the same thing just before it died. :( I read somewhere that it doesn't work very well if you wear glasses, so I turned it off since I almost never lose 3D anyway...

However I use the power save function and I've never seen my battery lower than half. :) I know it's quite horrible when you activate it because everything turns yellowish, but you forget about it very quickly - your brain somehow does the white balance. As a matter of fact my new glasses also have a UV filter than turn everything slighty yellow as well, but since I wear them all the time, I don't notice it at all.

I loved the new "glasses 3D" function built into the New 3DS xL. I do wear glasses but I have found it only really impacts the tracking when using the system in the dark. There is an infrared emitter mounted beside the camera. The infrared emitter is refracted by our eyes, same as normal visible light, but unlike visible light, the IR is almost completely reflected back out through the pupil. This is why we get "red eye" in flash photos. The sensor detects the bright dots of focused, and reflected, and refocused light in our pupils. Glasses are highly reflective to infrared light causing a secondary reflection that confuses the sensor.

Because I am naturally near-sighted, and my corneas have not yet hardened from age, I am able to use the 3DS without eyeglasses. The New 3DS xL model's sweet spot is slightly farther back from my eyes than they are able to focus with pinpoint precision, but at 240p resolution I can still see the pixels clearly. It helps to use the N3DS xL in a brightly lit environment if you absolutely have to wear glasses while using it.

Hope this helps...

Cool, but this one is a micro, so I'll need a new card anyways. I'll either need to get a power pack, or handle or something. This system is uncomfortably thin. I was going to say thinner than the original, but I got a battery pack for it right off, so I likely never noticed how thin it was.

I don't wear glasses when playing handhelds, my distant vision sux though :P but it's ok just in standard mode. Like most tracking devices, it has a laser or something next to the camera, and that turns off too when you turn off the tracker. Why do devices have these? I didn't like the bright red laser on the various Kinect things either, and that one went through a filter so it rippled while you moved.

I've got Pokemon x, or why but that was a first gen 3d's game. Despite not being 3d it was still a lot of fun. Thinking about getting the new one. I bought Mario maker, but smoke blew out of my ear on that, no idea what I'm doing. And I wanted a good, er, I mean playable handheld Minecraft so I got that, but it's not 3d unfortunately (yes I need help, thought about joining ma, but it sounds like it could be for quitters)

The selection of games at local stores is rather small, I've got most of what is available, I'll need to look online for some more stuff. Of course mario, and it's playable again, since I've got the whole screen again. I haven't kept up with the 3d's scene for years, so I'll just have to see what's out there.

After going through a few charge cycles, this thing has much better battery life. I'm probably getting 5-7 hours out of it. That's the same as my launch system WITH its extended battery.

Awesome, I'm glad that Nintendo took advantage of the systems larger size to put a better battery in, maybe they listens to peoples bitching about the originals 3~ ish stock battery life.

I do think the c stick is loosening up a bit, or in getting more used to it. It's certainly easier for me to use now.

Anyhow. Awesome system, kinda wish I'd gotten it earlier, especially since I've got some games already for it. Maybe I'll find a "new" specific title for it I'll play a lot (besides minecraft) but for now, it's awesome to play Mario again in proper colors and functioning 3d.