IGNORED

New Nintendo 3ds?

Video

Ask anyone and I am HARDCORE retro, but I love my "New" 3DS. The games are fantastic really love Mario Kart 7, and the addition of Captain Toad's Treasure Trove which just came out. I only played the demo so far. Literally one of the best games I have ever played. I really give it to Nintendo for having a great line up of 3DS games.

• Like 2

my wife and i both own 'New 3DS XL' units and we LOVE them. I've owned probably every Nintendo handheld in some iteration except the Game Boy Micro and it's probably the best one in terms of features and ergonomics they've put out.

That being said, I haven't used the 3D features a whole lot except for the Sega 3D games- those you have to play in 3D at least once to see it! The 3D kind of gives me a headache after a while, but it's neat to select it when you want.

Ask anyone and I am HARDCORE retro, but I love my "New" 3DS. The games are fantastic really love Mario Kart 7, and the addition of Captain Toad's Treasure Trove which just came out. I only played the demo so far. Literally one of the best games I have ever played. I really give it to Nintendo for having a great line up of 3DS games.

The new Wario aware comes out soon, too. The demo is sublime. If that and Toad Tracker were it for 3DS, it still had one of the best lineups ever, but I hope it's not finished yet.

That's another thing I love about the 3DS, playable demos from the eShop! I've been convinced to buy loads of games over the years thanks to playable demos, as far back as the shareware DOS version of Doom really, and it seems like Nintendo is the only company that still offers free demos on their online store.

Got a couple new (well, to me) games. New yoshis island. Awesome, just like the snes classic. Mario's crying is annoying as ever :P like the giant egg. Just like the original, or Nintendo s other modern platformers, it's easy to beat, but it ramps up quick if you try to get all the loot. Love the art style on this one.

And castlevania mirror of fate. Don't know how I missed this one. I love the old school games, this plays a bit different. You go from area to area and have scripted fights rather than the free for all cluster f@#$ that most the other games are. You explore an area for a key item to get to the next area. Loving it so far, but it's a bit different from other castlevania games. I like it, but others may not. Pseudo adventure, great imagery and like the different playstyle.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're into it alright. That Castlevania game is shockingly good, hate that it gets overlooked. There was a HD bump up for PC etc and it's solid on there as well, but almost feels like it loses a little charm for me. It's like Castlevania 3 stages and design mashed in with SOTN wider layout, and then a dash of the old 1-3 of god of war with the power up boxes and combo hits.

I wish I could get myself playing mine again but it's so rare and random. I still would like Tokyo Rumble kunio game and Yoshi Wooly World, but seeing I didn't get super deep into Metroid and Mario+Luigi from last year and barely touch Pokemon Ultra Sun like 1-2x a month it's just not happening. I play mostly every couple or so days, and I have Ys8 on Switch occupying me for now.

Are they ever going to make another New 3DS XL in a color scheme other than Galaxy?

I would love to get one to add to the stable but i'm just not into the Galaxy theme...any rumors or is that the last hardware variation?

I have the Gold Triforce Zelda 3DS XL, but didn't like the Majoras Mask Themed NEW 3DS, to flowery in design. I guess I could just find a NOS Black NEW 3DS XL.

Wario Ware Gold today. Probably the last big game on the platform. I brought mine to work today. ;-)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/warioware-gold-a-fine-example-of-nintendos-weird-end-of-life-history/

I don't quite understand the obsession with cosmetic variants. I got a shiny red one in 2015, it's great. The inside is what matters to me.

There are bunches of these out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_colors_and_styles

https://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-new+3ds+xl,28zu0

• Like 1

Wario Ware Gold today. Probably the last big game on the platform. I brought mine to work today. ;-)

I brought my Gameboy Color to work today! I'm guessing my 3DS will be in the rotation for a looooooong time :)

Man the Zelda NEW 3DS color schemes are so fugly... Why couldn't they just have done a nice gold with a tri-force like previous gens. I am a big fan of those and have several gens of Nintendo handhelds in that gold color scheme.

Edited by travistouchdown

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I saw the snes styled 3ds. If I hadn't just got my galaxy, I would have been all over that. It WAS on sale for $150 too. I almost got one anyways LOL.

Got a few more games I'd missed.

Sonic generations. I know I said I'd never get another sonic game about a decade ago, due to being burned by to much crap up to that point. I figured it was just the genesis sonic games for 3ds, so might as well. Played it and HOLY S#!7 BALLS. This is what sonic should have been trying to be all along. It's basically to sonic what new super Mario is to old school mario. Just a ramped up version of the original and I'd even say goo ~~I mean great!

Sega 3d classics. Yeah have of games usually have something worth playing even if you don't like most of the offerings.

Power drift, I remember playing this bitd, the pseudo 3d 2d engine is pretty cool looking. I suck at it, but like the art style so I'll likely play this till I get better.

Puyopuyo2 kind of like robots bean machine. It's japanese, but it's a basic puzzle so reading isn't to relevant. Pretty fun little game.

Sonic the hedgehog. Well, it's sonic the hedgehog. A good emulation. I like the old sonic games so this is great.

Galaxy force 2, segas answer to Nintendo's starfox? Pretty cool, but short game. Mostly a pseudo 3d game using sprites, but multi targeting enemies is a neat mechanic.

Thunder blade. I like the art style, but it should have stayed top down as when it goes 3d follow the copter mode, hit detection seems to go out the window. I get shot half way across the screen and often miss stuff I should be hitting. Maybe I just suck but I don't know.

Fantasyzone 2 bright and colorful. Stuff is hard to kill, but it seems the only goal is just to find the exit.

Altered beast punch and kick your way through the level and then into animals? Definitely different, not so sure about this one yet.

And maze runner and fantasyzone2 for mastersystem.

More good games than had games on this collection, or I like them anyways.

Mega man legacy collection. Fun but I forgot how bad I suck, suck, SUCK at this game. Well, collection of games. There's six anyways, but it's going to be a while before I finish this one. I'm definitely going to have to look up some hints for this one, I seem to remember it only being beatable in one order, or a small number of orders, and it's been WAY to long.

Fire emblem warrior. I haven't actually gotten to yet. I was looking at miitopia, and sounds right up my alley, but all the reviews basically said it was a light version of fire emblem, so they were the same price so I got this.

And final fantasy explorer. I like older ff games, this one sounds like it may be more adventury than the older games. I hope, but still it's final fantasy, so it can't be all bad right? Another one I've not yet gotten to.

If love an adventure type, so hopefully ff fits that.

Also, fps? Anything?? Is there really not one on 3ds?

• Like 1

Those are all great 3DS pickups! Sonic Generations is one that I've owned too and it's probably the best post-Genesis era Sonic game I've played, though I've yet to try Sonic Mania.

If you like the old NES Castlevania games then check out Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on the 3DS eShop. It's made by Koji Igarashi, the guy who made Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and all the GBA and DS Castlevania games, and it's basically a sequel to Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse for the NES. Same gameplay style and mechanics but with the difficulty toned down a little for contemporary audiences.

And again, if you're in need of some FPS action go check out Moon Chronicles and Dementium Remastered on the eShop as well. There's not many digital-only games I think are genuinely worth buying but Bloodstained and those two FPS games most certainly are.

I might do that. Games shouldn't be to huge on ds. I looked at the store and couldn't find Nintendo versions of digital purchase cards, so they not have them?

On the 3DS now they don't use point cards anymore, they just bill the cost of the game to your credit or debit card of choice so you can pay the exact cost of the game rather than messing around with points and whatnot. :)

• Like 1

Retailers still carry Nintendo points cards and the 3DS eShop still accepts them. I'm sure GameStop stocks these, you just had to ask.

I buy one from time to time, usually at Wal-Mart (Just did a week or so ago). I don't mind using a credit card though with Nintendo. I've never heard of Nintendo data breaches and they don't tie it to my account, so I'm more comfortable doing it with Nintendo than Sony or Microsoft where I use points cards exclusively.

Even that is pretty needless really. I'll use it at dozens of other retailers, but not trust my data with two of the biggest corporations in the world? Just a habit at this point and I suppose if nothing else, it makes me think twice about digital purchases off the Xbox and Playstation stores since something isn't just a couple of button presses away.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Retailers still carry Nintendo points cards. I'm sure GameStop does, you just had to ask.

Why would anyone use them though? Gift giving is about the only reason I can think of. If you're buying games for yourself you're better off just paying for the game using a credit/debit card within the eShop so you can pay the exact price of the game and not have to buy a $10 point card for a $7.99 game, as an example.

Eh, mostly bad experiences with Microsoft is why I wouldn't want to give a credit card directly. At the time they signed you up for things (like live) with zero option to opt out, despite already having years of live already. Been close to a decade, but I didn't want to do that again, it may be different now, but I don't know and don't want to find out.

Also last I heard Nintendo's online er, services are really fragmented and have major disadvantages like games being tied to the console rather than the owner, so physical theft could be a bigger issue than hacking. Maybe Nintendo is different now, that's also a bit outdated.

Granted a credit card direct could be handy, as if like to get some other stuff, like Mario games :P