IGNORED

Help with Sears games: Steeplechase, Stellar Track, and Submarine Commander

Random Terrain

Do you think knowing the release month is possible for any of those three Sears games?

randomterrain.com/rt-atari-2600-game-list.html#sears

If you know the first time they were listed in a catalog, can you post an image or a link to an image? If you know of any reviews or news about them from old magazines, newsletters, or newspapers, please post those too.

Thanks.

Update #1

I keep seeing 1980 as the year Steeplechase was released, but the manual and box have 1981 on them. The manual for Stellar Track also has 1981 on it.

I think Computer Entertainer or Electronic Games implied that Stellar Track and steeplechase hit around February 82, with Submarine Commander following in the summer... but I don't remember the details of where I saw it.

Pretty sure I've seen in developer interviews for at least one game that implied they were done way before they came out and Atari just didn't want to publish them.

Edited by ubersaurus
  • Like 1

I think Computer Entertainer or Electronic Games implied that Stellar Track and steeplechase hit around February 82, with Submarine Commander following in the summer... but I don't remember the details of where I saw it.

Pretty sure I've seen in developer interviews for at least one game that implied they were done way before they came out and Atari just didn't want to publish them.

So far all I have found are two things. There is a mention in Analog Computing (May/Jun 81 p25) ". . . and Steeplechase, which is based on their arcade game of the same name. The latter is available exclusively through most SEARS stores now, along with another game, Stellar Track."

And a review of Steeplechase from 1982 in Electronic Games (May 82 p73).

• Like 1

I have an older loose cart version of Steeplechase, it is a text cart variant so it is older and reads "6 Tele-Games". The program content is copyright 1980 and the serial number on the cart is 4975126 I hope that helps.

Just a heads up... that's not a serial number. At Sears, departments are divided up into 2 digit numbers. 49 is kids or sporting goods, 03 was home office, 09 is hardware, 20 is sewing and vacuum, 57 is TV & Stereo, etc. The 5 digits following the dept. number is the SKU/part number for their POS registers.

• Like 2

There's a Steeplechase prototype dated 04-15-1980, so I doubt that 1981 was the release year.

8)

When they reprinted manuals, did they keep using the copyright date that they originally used or did they change the date to match the year of the latest manual printing? If it always stayed the same, why would the manual have 1981 on it if it was sold in 1980? It usually goes in the other direction. For example, although the box, cartridge, manual, and copyright screen for Atari 2600 Pac-Man have 1981 as the copyright date, it wasn’t released until March/April of 1982.

Also, if Steeplechase was really one of Atari's iffy misfit games and not specifically made for Sears, it probably sat on the shelf for a while until they decided what they were going to do with it.

So what is your interest with the Sears exclusive games? What are you trying to glean from this information?

I'm working on Atari 2600 NTSC video game release date pages:

NTSC Game Index

NTSC Game List by Company

Activision Release Dates From the Archives

As I type this, I'm trying to finish the pop culture info for 1988 through 1991, then the history pages will be done, or at least the hard part will be done. I'll still have little fun things to add like popular TV commercials, popular toys, links to magazine ads, and so on.

• Like 1

Two questions, will you have at least the sub set Title, Publisher, date available for download in CSV?

Second

View this page and any external web sites at your own risk. I am not responsible for any possible spiritual, emotional, physical, financial or any other damage to you, your friends, family, ancestors, or descendants in the past, present, or future, living or dead, in this dimension or any other.

Is there a story behind that disclaimer?

. . . will you have at least the sub set Title, Publisher, date available for download in CSV?

I doubt it since I don't know what that is. I just looked it up. I have LibreOffice, but I rarely use it. If you feel like attaching an example file with one or two games on it, I could use it as a template.

Is there a story behind that disclaimer?

I needed a disclaimer for my web site back in 2001, so I came up with that in the hopes that it would cover just about everything.

There's a Steeplechase prototype dated 04-15-1980, so I doubt that 1981 was the release year.

8)

I think it was. Game development moved faster back then. 18 months for a game start to shelves is not unheard of. Apollo did it with Lost Luggage and Guardian. Atari famously gave less time for Pac Man and ET. Edited by up2knowgood

Do you think knowing the release month is possible for any of those three Sears games?

randomterrain.com/rt-atari-2600-game-list.html#sears

If you know the first time they were listed in a catalog, can you post an image or a link to an image? If you know of any reviews or news about them from old magazines, newsletters, or newspapers, please post those too.

Thanks.

Update #1

I keep seeing 1980 as the year Steeplechase was released, but the manual and box have 1981 on them. The manual for Stellar Track also has 1981 on it.

I'd go with the manuals, they're the last thing drawn up in the process before release. Programming probably finished in 80, but it took some time to draw up a manual.

Again, all guesswork, nothing concrete.

• Like 1

I'm working on Atari 2600 NTSC video game release date pages:

NTSC Game Index

NTSC Game List by Company

Activision Release Dates From the Archives

As I type this, I'm trying to finish the pop culture info for 1988 through 1991, then the history pages will be done, or at least the hard part will be done. I'll still have little fun things to add like popular TV commercials, popular toys, links to magazine ads, and so on.

Random question, does that mean that you're going to add 1989 for Secret Quest then? Or just put a footnote in for 1988, as I don't know how many other games were released that year, possibly none...

Random question, does that mean that you're going to add 1989 for Secret Quest then? Or just put a footnote in for 1988, as I don't know how many other games were released that year, possibly none...

The 1989 page has these games so far:

BMX Air Master

Dark Chambers

Double Dragon

Double Dunk

Glacier Patrol

Off The Wall

Radar Lock

Rampage

Road Runner

Secret Quest

Universal Chaos

I'm doing the pop culture stuff for that page now. Then I'll do the pop culture stuff for 1991. That page has these games:

Ikari Warriors

MotoRodeo

Sentinel

Xenophobe

I'll do 1990 last since no original NTSC games were released in that year by a known video game company. And if some weird rare game pops up one day for 1990, the 1990 page will already exist, so the game will be easy to add.

The 1989 page has these games so far:

BMX Air Master

Dark Chambers

Double Dragon

Double Dunk

Glacier Patrol

Off The Wall

Radar Lock

Rampage

Road Runner

Secret Quest

Universal Chaos

I'm doing the pop culture stuff for that page now. Then I'll do the pop culture stuff for 1991. That page has these games:

Ikari Warriors

MotoRodeo

Sentinel

Xenophobe

I'll do 1990 last since no original NTSC games were released in that year by a known video game company. And if some weird rare game pops up one day for 1990, the 1990 page will already exist, so the game will be easy to add.

Sweet! I know its often overlooked, and I dare say a lot of people will disagree with me, but I always enjoyed Secret Quest.

Oh, I thought Secret Quest was the last North American/NTSC game released, were those four also released in NTSC?

Oh, I thought Secret Quest was the last North American/NTSC game released, were those four also released in NTSC?

Looks like NTSC Ikari Warriors, MotoRodeo, Sentinel, and Xenophobe were released around March of 1991:

atariage.com/forums/topic/271599-did-you-get-ntsc-ikari-warriors-when-it-was-new/?p=3886986

atariage.com/forums/topic/271599-did-you-get-ntsc-ikari-warriors-when-it-was-new/?p=3882900

Extra sweet! Now I got to see about getting one of those so I can say I have the beginning and the end. :P

1977 to 1991 is super impressive too, just got to say.

• Like 1

So far all I have found are two things. There is a mention in Analog Computing (May/Jun 81 p25) ". . . and Steeplechase, which is based on their arcade game of the same name. The latter is available exclusively through most SEARS stores now, along with another game, Stellar Track."

And a review of Steeplechase from 1982 in Electronic Games (May 82 p73).

I wonder if old Sears catalogs might be helpful, then? I'm planning a trip to the Library of Congress later this month, so I'll see if I can find anything for you while doing my research - ads and such.

• Like 1