IGNORED

1030 & 212 Power Supplies

gilsaluki

Question: Can a power supply from the SX212 power the 1030 modem safely? I don't have a PS for the 1030. Sources say the 1030 had its own unique 9VAC/600mA PS. The SX212 is rated at 9VAC/500mA, also can be used with the 2600. The plug is the same. Will I do harm to the 1030 using the SX's PS?

Also is there any Dial-up BBSs left to call?

Question: Can a power supply from the SX212 power the 1030 modem safely? I don't have a PS for the 1030. Sources say the 1030 had its own unique 9VAC/600mA PS. The SX212 is rated at 9VAC/500mA, also can be used with the 2600. The plug is the same. Will I do harm to the 1030 using the SX's PS?

Don't use a 9VAC PS with a 2600. The VCS needs 9VDC.

Don't know about the modems but before you try make sure both are AC (or both are DC).

To make the story complete, in this 9 VDC case:

• 500 mA = 4.5 W = 4.5 VA
  • 600 mA = 5.4 W = 5.4 VA

This is the max. a PS can deliver, so, using a 600 mA PS with a 500 mA device is o.k. The remaining 100 mA is just not used.

With a 500 mA PS and a 600 mA device you're 100 mA short. This just works in most cases but isn't recommended for extended use because a PS is a pretty stupid thing and tries to deliver the extra 100 mA anyways with the result that it's getting hotter and the risk it'll just break.

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx
  • Like 1