IGNORED

Capacitor replace from an electronics n00b

deepthaw

I don't recall exactly which caps they are, but I may need to replace one of the big green capacitors on the 5200 board (one of which is near where you'd do work for the power mod.)

What type of capacitor are they? I can get the values for the specific caps from the service manual, but they don't look like either the electrolytic or ceramic capacitors I'm vaguely familiar with. Can anybody give me some tips on what I'd need to order to replace them?

I don't recall exactly which caps they are, but I may need to replace one of the big green capacitors on the 5200 board (one of which is near where you'd do work for the power mod.)

What type of capacitor are they? I can get the values for the specific caps from the service manual, but they don't look like either the electrolytic or ceramic capacitors I'm vaguely familiar with. Can anybody give me some tips on what I'd need to order to replace them?

They’re polyester capacitors. Likely .22uF rated for 100V.

If you could supply the location identifiers I could confirm with absolute certainty. I’m fairly sure you’re describing these, which are decoupling capacitors for the voltage regulators (1 & 2).

Search for polyester “dipped” at .22uF 100V on Digi-Key or Mouser. They’re plentiful and cheap.

Edited by atari-dna

They’re polyester capacitors. Likely .22uF rated for 100V.

If you could supply the location identifiers I could confirm with absolute certainty. I’m fairly sure you’re describing these, which are decoupling capacitors for the voltage regulators (1 & 2).

Search for polyester “dipped” at .22uF 100V on Digi-Key or Mouser. They’re plentiful and cheap.

C44 & C43, I believe. One is in the back near you'd want to install the power jack, and the other is right by where you'd do all the work to run the new cables. I actually have a local electronics shop so I may be able to get them locally.

C44 & C43, I believe. One is in the back near you'd want to install the power jack, and the other is right by where you'd do all the work to run the new cables. I actually have a local electronics shop so I may be able to get them locally.

Confirmed, they are the ones I described, .22uF 100V polyester.

I have some in stock, if you need a couple.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confirmed, they are the ones I described, .22uF 100V polyester.

I have some in stock, if you need a couple.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer but I printed off the portion of the service manual that lists what components are which and handed it to the guy at the electronics shop so I'll assume I got what I needed.

I'm really surprised no one has made a "Cap Replacement Kit" for the 5200... or other video game machines for that matter.

Buy some capacitors, slip them into a little zip lock baggies with a slip of paper for instructions and sell them. The person selling them could make a decent profit as many people do not want, or have the time to source the individual parts or make multiple orders and pay multiple shipping fees.

1) Search Ebay -or- click on a referring link from AtariAge...

2) Click buy...

3) Pay with PayPal

-------------------------

DONE

• Like 2

I'm really surprised no one has made a "Cap Replacement Kit" for the 5200... or other video game machines for that matter.

Buy some capacitors, slip them into a little zip lock baggies with a slip of paper for instructions and sell them. The person selling them could make a decent profit as many people do not want, or have the time to source the individual parts or make multiple orders and pay multiple shipping fees.

1) Search Ebay -or- click on a referring link from AtariAge...

2) Click buy...

3) Pay with PayPal

-------------------------

DONE

Close but no 5200

https://console5.com/store/kits/console-cap-kits/atari.html

• Like 3

I never really thought about. He only added in the 7800 kit once I told him what the cap values were for it and since there are only like 3 caps...it was a no brainer on that one. Let me hit Luke up with a possible 5200 kit and see what can be done about that...

*Update*

Just got done speaking to Luke at Console5.com about this and he will be getting them bagged up and added to the site very soon.

See...you only have to ask?

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 3