Photo

Atari 2600 audio capacitors direct replacement.

atari 2600 capacitors 820pf

2 replies to this topic

#1 arkleyjoe OFFLINE  

arkleyjoe

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:53 AM

Hi,

I am looking to replace the audio capacitors in my Atari 2600.

The existing ones are 820pf Polystyrene and I am trying to find a direct replacement I can order from RS or Mouser here in the UK. Can anyone give me a some guidance on what I can use to replace them?

I have been told I can use 820pf MLCC but do not know any more about the specs / datasheet in order to decide which to order.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alternatively does anyone in the UK do these kits like console5? https://console5.com/store/atari-2600-total-refresh-kit-new-capacitors.html 

The postage to the UK just makes ordering from those guys way too expensive.

Joe

#2 Stephen Moss OFFLINE  

Stephen Moss

Stargunner

• 1,054 posts

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:36 AM

It is always best to replace like for like if possible so for a polystyrene replacement try this, you will need to check their T's & Cs but as far as I know they will still accept phone orders paying by card without having to have an account, postage for orders under £30 ex vat is £3.50.

For ceramic try the AVX "skycap" series, or any AVX series, I would go for the X7R dielectric over the NPO but either will probably do and any voltage of 16V should be fine. You will more likely get a 10-20% tolerance on a ceramic cap than the 1% you will get from the polystyrene, although there are some ceramic that are 5%, it is unclear if the wider tolerance and therefore value range of the ceramic will have any noticeable effect on the sound.   

#3 arkleyjoe OFFLINE  

arkleyjoe

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:54 AM

Stargunner thank you very much. TBH i did not think it was possible to get a direct replacement any longer. I will order the ones you have suggested. 

Thanks again.

Joe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atari 2600, capacitors, 820pf

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users