IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Thank you so much, guys...

Ok, while I need to make some adjustments (corners slightly raising while printing), this cartridge case design works well, and fits in the 7800 nicely too...

- Moved screw holes to the bottom, and made 4 of them - similar to another design I saw. However, two of the screw holes no longer get in the way of the larger 7800 boards.

- Kept the label indentation for both the top and side labels.

- Made the cartridge door pins as part of the case (instead of a separate piece - that always annoyed me)

- Put the logo that was designed for me on the bottom of the case.

I am currently printing a case with a raft, as to hopefully prevent the corners from raising.

This is where I am so far. I hope to be able to print these:

- Pink

- Light Blue

- Glow-In-The-Dark Green

- Glow-In-The-Dark Blue

- Silver (to reflect the pinball aspect) - this is the one I am doing for myself.

- Clear

I was also going to do Wood (it's PLA with wood particles in it... when you are printing it actually smells like wood is burning), but the label adhesion was atrocious. They would fall off almost immediately.

Glow in the dark example (but unfortunately with the raised corners):

post-1787-0-93952100-1555252888_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-70641400-1555252918_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-38705000-1555252949_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-97847700-1555252983_thumb.jpg

Thanks, guys

Bob

*EDIT - Just had an idea - if I can get the 'two-color' mode working on this printer (it has two extruders), I may make the 'PacManPlus' logo another color (yellow?)

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 18

Sorry Guys, I probably shouldn't have posted the pictures. I can't get a single clean print without corners lifting, or sides not binding correctly, or supports not coming off cleanly, etc.

We will have to wait until Al is able to put them in the store.

I've wasted a *lot* of filament trying to get this going, sorry about that.

• Like 9

Sorry Guys, I probably shouldn't have posted the pictures. I can't get a single clean print without corners lifting, or sides not binding correctly, or supports not coming off cleanly, etc.

We will have to wait until Al is able to put them in the store.

I've wasted a *lot* of filament trying to get this going, sorry about that.

Don’t be sorry, Bob. Really appreciate you trying.

Thank you.

• Like 7

Ok, so those of you who have known me over the years know, that as soon as I say 'I quit' on something, I get another idea on how I could get past whatever issue I am having...

Having said that...

post-1787-0-48387100-1555467776_thumb.jpg

Something I should have known: PLA filament absorbs moisture. All of the filament rolls that I have were opened as soon as I got them. That probably was not a good idea.

This silver roll is brand new. It is laying as perfectly and as smoothly as can be. I still don't have the two color thing down pat, but I'm getting there.

My problem now is that when it switches extruders, it doesn't push out enough of the other color before it starts printing again (so it still prints mostly in the first color).

Anyway, let me see how this one works out, and I will put it back in the zip lock back it came in when it's done.

A lot of little things to learn, and things that I never realized, having worked with these things for over 3 years now.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 14

No, it didn't even occur to me that I needed one of those. :(

The two-color section (i.e. the PMP logo) on the bottom came out ok, but not great. The rest of the cart case came out as expected, finally. I've increased how much filament gets fed to the 'priming tower' that gets created when printing two-color objects, so hopefully two color prints will get better now.

I just need to smooth down the rounded edges and screw holes. I started the 'top' printing just before I left for work; this is the part I'm worried about. That big area for the label indentation is always an issue, but I want it in. It's not even a consideration to remove it, as I *really* didn't like the other cartridge model that's out there that didn't have one.

I know there is support filament that dissolves in water (or other solutions), but I didn't want to get into that. Plus I've read many issues of the filament not dissolving totally, and you end up having to dig it out anyway.

So, I'll see how the 'top' print went when I get home.

Thanks guys,

Bob

• Like 6

Success. Finally.

Three things:

- As I said above, I believe I resolved the 'not feeding enough filament when switching extruders' issue. Although I won't know for sure until I print another one.

- The supports were a PAIN to get off. There has to be a better way. I may try printing them vertically again.

- There are three 'lines' on the back, next to the bottom part of the mouth of Pac-Man. Every other place, the filament retracted when moving. Why it didn't just for these three movements is beyond me.

post-1787-0-50808500-1555534857_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-28668000-1555534861_thumb.jpg

I tried the cart in my 7800, and it fits great. This cartridge is going to Crossbow, for fixing my CCII.

I'm going to test print a few more with different filaments, and make sure things are consistent.

Thanks, guys

• Like 19