OFF-TOPIC

2482 replies to this topic

#2351 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,781 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 6:41 AM

In Windows 7 I had a great little weather/clock gadget on the desktop.. I miss that in Windows 10.  :_(

They were dropped in a later release of 7 as a security risk (some of the widgets were natively vulnerable while the entire API was found to be sloppy and have holes.)  I am told, but cannot verify as I do not use the MS Store, that some widgets were replaced with Windows Application functionality.

Whatever happened to the Weather Channel desktop application?

#2352 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,176 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:12 AM

They were dropped in a later release of 7 as a security risk (some of the widgets were natively vulnerable while the entire API was found to be sloppy and have holes.)  I am told, but cannot verify as I do not use the MS Store, that some widgets were replaced with Windows Application functionality.

Whatever happened to the Weather Channel desktop application?

It still works on my Win 7 laptop, but the new one in the package linked above would not connect.  I've only had this new box for less than a day, so for all I know it could be the firewall stopping it, I've not checked yet.

#2353 chue OFFLINE  

chue

Moonsweeper

• 303 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:42 AM

Try the built-in Windows "Weather" app.  I have it pinned to my start menu and it works great.

Attached Files

Edited by chue, Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:45 AM.

#2354 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,176 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:51 AM

Yeah I have that too, but you have to bring up the start every time you want to view it.  I'd prefer to have it always on the desktop/secondary monitor so I can just glance at it when needed.

Attached Files

#2355 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,781 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 9:18 AM

I do not use Windows 10 frequently, let alone the apps.  Will this work for the weather app?

https://www.windowsc...kbar-windows-10

#2356 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,176 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 9:36 AM

I do not use Windows 10 frequently, let alone the apps.  Will this work for the weather app?

https://www.windowsc...kbar-windows-10

Hey, that sort of works.  It's getting closer.  Once it's open, I can just stick it on the left-hand monitor.  It does not auto update though, I have to manually hit refresh, but it's better than it was.  THANKS!

** EDIT **

Graphic updated, because of the cool attachment in the message below.  Thanks AMenard!

Attached Files

Edited by --- Ω ---, Fri Oct 5, 2018 12:07 PM.

#2357 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Dragonstomper

• 754 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 9:43 AM

Thanks Stuart, I'll check it out.  :thumbsup:

** EDIT / UPDATE **

Sadly the weather one would not connect, but the calendar and resources display work.  Thanks again.

For the most part, this install has gone fairly well.  I'm waiting on my new speakers to arrive, so during the wait I'm using the little Bluetooth speaker I usually pair with my cellphone.

The one thing that irritates me, is that I must have inadvertently tossed out my graphics/photo editor program CD when I cleaned house of extraneous stuff a few months back, because I cannot find my copy of Ulead Photo Impact 7 anywhere.  I'm lost without that program.... (sigh).

You can also use something like https://www.rainmeter.net/to customize Win10

#2358 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,176 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 9:59 AM

OH I LIKE THIS!   Awesome!  Installed (and keeping it!)  :-D  :thumbsup:

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!

#2359 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,781 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 10:01 AM

hrmmmm looks interesting.

#2360 Vorticon ONLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,458 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 10:02 AM

When I'm working on my TI, I just flip the VGA switch and I get a full screen weather update :) (I have a dedicated TI console with a NanoPEB running the wireless weather station 24/7 under the table supporting my full fledged TI system)

#2361 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,176 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 10:17 AM

Well, when it comes to the TI, Stuarts Internet Browser had a page you could link to getting that information.  When the TIPI version is released, I figure some new TI Internet APPS will be coming into existence.

#2362 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,176 posts

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2018 5:57 PM

BINGO!

Close enough for me!  :-D  :thumbsup:

Attached Files

• Attached File  Snip.PNG   103.32KB   3 downloads

#2363 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,176 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:18 PM

Somehow one of my 64GB USB memory sticks got write protected.  I'm unable to format the thing and am unable to figure out how to remove the protection so I can reformat it.  (sigh)

#2364 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Chopper Commander

• 175 posts
  • RUN "CS1"

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:17 AM

Somehow one of my 64GB USB memory sticks got write protected.  I'm unable to format the thing and am unable to figure out how to remove the protection so I can reformat it.  (sigh)

How old is it?

Don't memory sticks have a limited number of read/write cycles? If i recall correctly, when it reaches the last write cycle, the device goes into a permanent read only mode.

#2365 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

River Patroller

• 2,034 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 AM

other folks' mileage may vary, but it's been my experience once you have a drive that exhibits this behavior really the only workaround is to copy your stuff if you can and replace the drive.

#2366 Vorticon ONLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,458 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 AM

How old is it?

Don't memory sticks have a limited number of read/write cycles? If i recall correctly, when it reaches the last write cycle, the device goes into a permanent read only mode.

Good to know. I have a few stick that are over 10 years old, so I'll be looking closely for that behavior to emerge :)

#2367 RickyDean ONLINE  

RickyDean

Stargunner

• 1,006 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:06 AM

Some of the manufacturers guarantee their products for life, Sandisk comes to mind. It may be possible to save your data, then go to their site to troubleshoot. Sometimes they provide utilities to see if the problem can be eliminated, or to test for fakes.

#2368 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,176 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:33 PM

Yeah, it was only used for two years, although it was partially used in a READYBOOST configuration for my older laptop.  Oh well.  Thanks guys.

#2369 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,176 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:34 PM

For those of you only running emulators, here is a graphic to print up and slap on your PC's case.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Ii.png   50.05KB   2 downloads

#2370 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 4,170 posts

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:17 PM

#2371 Vorticon ONLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,458 posts

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:37 PM

Funny you posted that. I just finished watching that video :) I have a 13" TV in storage which I might just mod as well!

#2372 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,176 posts

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:07 AM

The new so-called 'upgrade' for Windoze 10 broke my audio and I just cannot seem to get it to work again.

Is there a way to rollback the upgrade?

UPDATE - It was weird, even after re-installing the driver it still did not work.  Only after physically unplugging and re-plugging the speakers back in did they start to work.

Edited by --- Ω ---, Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 AM.

#2373 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,781 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:54 AM

F*^K^!@ MICROSHAFT!  Their new so-called 'upgrade' for Windoze 10 broke my audio and I just cannot seem to get it to work again.

Settings > Updates and Security > Recovery > Get Started > Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows 10

Good luck.

#2374 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 4,170 posts

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 AM

The new so-called 'upgrade' for Windoze 10 broke my audio and I just cannot seem to get it to work again.

UPDATE - It was weird, even after re-installing the driver it still did not work.  Only after physically unplugging and re-plugging the speakers back in did they start to work.

#2375 Vorticon ONLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,458 posts

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:16 AM

Now that looked like a classic TI demo right there  :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OFF-TOPIC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users