IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

NEVER MIND!

Can this topic be erased?

Though you cannot erase the topic, you can completely change it to a different topic by editing your opening post in the full editor. If you decide to do that, @Willsy and I can change our responses to something that makes sense with the new post.

...lee

I'll take advantage of the topic.

new Apple IOS 7.0 gui sucks! What the hell is with this new affection for the "FLAT" F'ING UGLY LOOK???? First time I've seen Apple blatantly steal GUI from Windows, wow, totally bummed. Bring Steve back please!

Seriously, if I wanted a chiclet keyboard (TI content) and flat 8-bit clown colors, I'd stick with my old technology period.

However, I hate chiclet keyboards and I hate flat 8-bit colors on new shiny stuff in this modern world of HD UHD retina displays, etc etc.... Why is the technology world catoring to no one but themselves? It blows me away that we have this modern hi-horsepower stuff only to waste it with stupid animations and useless eyecandy that actually detracts from the work or task at hand. If I wanted stupid animations and useless eyecandy, I'll sit down and play a game, that's what a game is all about. But, if I'm answer emails, phone calls, text messages, trouble-shooting.... I don't need those stupid things slowing me down. Faster processors, longer batter life, awesome screen displays only to be ruined by deliberate slow downs, using more power, and wasting precious screen realestate. WTF?

But then, I actually like to use my hardware for doing "stuff" and friviolous stuff that gets in the way of "doing" things irritates the hell out of me.

Thanks for reading my rant! It has both TI content and is on topic. ;-) LOL

-Dano

• Like 7

Off Topic Dumping Thread!!!

Kevan's Super Exciting Demeaner

Every posting appears to either have !s, colors, some excitement or some zany aspect to the posting.

At first I thought this guy was too much. I have grown to like him though.

Don't take it wrong anyone. I have been wanting to get this out, and finally found the perfect thread.

• Like 2

Off Topic Dumping Thread!!!

Kevan's Super Exciting Demeaner

Every posting appears to either have !s, colors, some excitement or some zany aspect to the posting.

At first I thought this guy was too much. I have grown to like him though.

Don't take it wrong anyone. I have been wanting to get this out, and finally found the perfect thread.

You know, I have heard the phrase many a time, "mad hatter" but, never really knew what "it" meant. Good opportunity to learn it, I say.

Snippet's from Wiki:

"Although the name "Mad Hatter" was clearly inspired by the phrase "as mad as a hatter", there is some uncertainty as to the origins of this phrase."

"Mad as a hatter" is a colloquial phrase used in conversation to refer to a crazy person. In 18th and 19th century England mercury was used in the production of felt, which was used in the manufacturing of hats common of the time. People who worked in these hat factories were exposed daily to trace amounts of the metal, which accumulated within their bodies over time, causing some workers to develop dementia caused by mercury poisoning (called mad hatter syndrome). Thus, the phrase became popular as a way to refer to someone who was perceived as insane."

So, there ya have it. It's on the Internet it must be true. ;)

-Dano

• Like 2

Check out MIKSOFT's Mobile Media Converter (www.miksoft.net). It is free and works wonders with the same ffmpeg engine most utilities use as well as mencode. I use it to convert files from many different sources and formats to mp4 and 3gp, including DVD and VOBs, for use with my Sony Ericsson phone, including ripping sound from videos. I also has a built-in YouTube downloader. 3g2 (Samsung Restore Video) is listed as an option, but not with a default profile (you will have to set one up.)

Check out MIKSOFT's Mobile Media Converter (www.miksoft.net). It is free and works wonders with the same ffmpeg engine most utilities use as well as mencode. I use it to convert files from many different sources and formats to mp4 and 3gp, including DVD and VOBs, for use with my Sony Ericsson phone, including ripping sound from videos. I also has a built-in YouTube downloader. 3g2 (Samsung Restore Video) is listed as an option, but not with a default profile (you will have to set one up.)

Thanks for the info! :)

I'll give it another shot later on this the week to try to figure out how to set one up. I tried downloaded it and gave it a shot (rather quickly) before work. I found a 3GP format, but the phone would not recognize it. I'd like to be able to convert a few things to stick in the phone besides .MP3's and JPG's.

Hell, if anyone has one they want to send me "for testing", I'll give it a shot to see if it works. ;) Wetransfers work great...

Thanks for the info! :)

I'll give it another shot later on this the week to try to figure out how to set one up. I tried downloaded it and gave it a shot (rather quickly) before work. I found a 3GP format, but the phone would not recognize it. I'd like to be able to convert a few things to stick in the phone besides .MP3's and JPG's.

Hell, if anyone has one they want to send me "for testing", I'll give it a shot to see if it works. ;) Wetransfers work great...

What kind of phone is it? I can set up parameters for a profile for you sometime tomorrow. I just tested MP4 encoding in a 3gp container for my SE (seems the h263 codec doesn't like a 16:9 screen ratio) and it worked great. The specs for the phone should be enlightening as to what container and codecs it can play.

• Like 1

What kind of phone is it? I can set up parameters for a profile for you sometime tomorrow.

Thank you very much! The phone is a "Samsung Montage". I probably should have bought a smartphone, but I rarely talk more than 3 hours a month on the phone and I do most of my Internet stuff on my laptop. I do a boat load of text messaging though and the slide-out keyboard drew me in, as well as the price (only $40.00). It also fit's my requirement of remaining small enough to not be too noticeable in my pocket.

Again, I really appreciate the help!

35409770-2_620x443.jpg

Edited by Kevan

Smart-phones are not such a big deal. I am using a Sony Ericsson C905a, and have a couple of spares in reserve. It is fun to hack and customize, and it provides all of the functionality I need. The built-in browser does a fair job with most sites, Opera Mini handles most of the rest, though there are some sites which just will not function. It has IMAP4-based email, is ActiveSync-compatible (in case I want to use it with Exchange,) and can synchronize with my webmail system using SyncML. I can "teather" my laptop using Bluetooth or USB at 3.6Mb/s 3G (though limited to 3Mb/s over Bluetooth) and my data plan is unlimited for $15/mo. It takes very nice pictures with its 8mp camera, though the video is limited (not that it matters.) It does Bluetooth music, has 802.11g wireless, GPS and A-GPS functionality, etc. etc. I love this phone and have no worries about the OS spying on me.

I will look up the codec specs and have a whack at creating a profile you can use tomorrow.

Personally, I have very little use for most of the features of a smart phone aside from calling (of which I do very little), and texting (because inexplicably my kids will not answer calls but WILL answer text messages...). Web browsing is only for emergencies when I need some basic but critical info fast and don't have access to a computer, but otherwise it's too limited and crowded to be fit for routine use. Everything else on my phone is fluff: phone games are too limited or simply too primitive and brain dead to be of any interest on such a platform, and the apps are too limited by the tiny screen real estate to be of real frequent use. Even email is uncomfortable for routine use.

Therefore, I keep transferring my upgrades to my kids and still have a 4 year old Droid phone to the dismay and puzzlement of the Verizon staff :)

On the other hand, I also have a Google Nexus 7 tablet, and that one is indeed much more useful, and sees a huge amount of daily use, both at work and home. Maybe I just need a phablet!

Edited by Vorticon

Smart-phones are not such a big deal. I am using a Sony Ericsson C905a, and have a couple of spares in reserve. It is fun to hack and customize, and it provides all of the functionality I need. The built-in browser does a fair job with most sites, Opera Mini handles most of the rest, though there are some sites which just will not function. It has IMAP4-based email, is ActiveSync-compatible (in case I want to use it with Exchange,) and can synchronize with my webmail system using SyncML. I can "teather" my laptop using Bluetooth or USB at 3.6Mb/s 3G (though limited to 3Mb/s over Bluetooth) and my data plan is unlimited for $15/mo. It takes very nice pictures with its 8mp camera, though the video is limited (not that it matters.) It does Bluetooth music, has 802.11g wireless, GPS and A-GPS functionality, etc. etc. I love this phone and have no worries about the OS spying on me.

I will look up the codec specs and have a whack at creating a profile you can use tomorrow.

I'd too would love love to be able to do a little customization on my phone, I even found a site that supposedly has downloads for free at: http://www.umnet.com/phone/5946-Samsung_Array_SPHM390 <---- (It say's Samsung Array, but it looks damn close to my Silver Montage so I'm assuming it's the same thing) but none of the files will directly download to my phone. When I download to the computer first, then use Bluetooth to transfer them to the phone, they still do not work. About the only things the phone WILL accept (when I use Bluetooth) are .MP3's and .JPG's.

Now I admit I've not had a lot of time to mess with it, since I have a lot on my plate right now, but one of my favorite functions is the instant notifications to my phone from the AtariAge site. :-D

I'd too would love love to be able to do a little customization on my phone, I even found a site that supposedly has downloads for free at: http://www.umnet.com/phone/5946-Samsung_Array_SPHM390 <---- (It say's Samsung Array, but it looks damn close to my Silver Montage so I'm assuming it's the same thing) but none of the files will directly download to my phone. When I download to the computer first, then use Bluetooth to transfer them to the phone, they still do not work. About the only things the phone WILL accept (when I use Bluetooth) are .MP3's and .JPG's.

Now I admit I've not had a lot of time to mess with it, since I have a lot on my plate right now, but one of my favorite functions is the instant notifications to my phone from the AtariAge site. :-D

Is your phone unlocked and/or de-branded? Some carriers block out certain functionality. AT&T, for instance, disables the C905a WiFi in their firmware. Several Sprint phones will not accept OBEX from other devices, and some have the Bluetooth locked down to nothing but an earpiece. In the Sony Ericsson's customization, you can restrict media types for play-back.