Photo

Bill Rehbock Audio Interview - Producer of Doom, Atari Karts & More!

bill rehbock doom super burnout atari karts

12 replies to this topic

#1 Adriano Arcade OFFLINE  

Adriano Arcade

Chopper Commander

• 119 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:01 AM

Dear all

After I had the ultimate pleasure of talking with James Purple Hampton, I had the great honour of chatting with another Atari Jaguar legend - Bill Rehbock! 

Bill is probably best known for being the producer on some of the Jags best titles - these include Doom, Super Burnout, Atari Karts and Wolfenstein 3D. He also talks about his work on the Nuon console, Tempest 3000 and much more!

He shares some great stories about working at Atari, his honest views on the true power of the Jag and the people he worked with! Please see all the links below to listen to this true legend:

http://arcadeattackp...bock-interview/

https://itunes.apple...st/id1174983594

https://www.stitcher...-gaming-podcast

Please let me know what you thought of the interview and if you enjoyed the podcast feel free to subscribe for future episodes.

Kind regards

Adrian

#2 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,948 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:17 AM

Did you ask him about any of the claims he was supposed to of made at the time regarding in his opinion, Jaguar Chequered Flag was better than Sega's Virtual Racing and that it's exclusive 2D fighting games were more than a match for Acclaim not having the insight to bring MK II to the Jaguar?.

As i would love to know if they were true and if so he really believed that or was he just towing the company line?.

Also is there any talk of his visits to Japan where he was supposed to be trying to secure deals with the likes of Capcom for Jaguar support?.

He was also quoted regarding several lost Jaguar games at the time, talking of who was converting Rise Of The Robots and saying wrong p.r statement had been sent to the press regarding other titles which never appeared, so it would be nice to get a degree of closure on those if he talks about that side of his role.

#3 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,948 posts

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:56 AM

Started listening to it, though have been skipping parts as Bill does have a tendancy to take a long time to get to the point...

I really appreciate his honesty over his memory being hazy, his stories of working with the Tramiels etc.

The talk about I.D was most welcome as well. .Carmack having a love-hate relationship with the hardware, Bill appreciated work Dave Taylor *though he refers to him as John , put in on Doom, combination of lack of cart space and bandwidth for Jerry being reasons he believes Jaguar Doom had no music.

Very glad you asked about Jaguar Doom II..If Bill doesn't believe it was ever signed to Jaguar, it shouldn't really appear on any credible lost Jaguar games listing...certainly not as some coding started..code lost.

At this stage i'm guessing you didn't ask about Jaguar Quake? but maybe Bill had moved on by time it was annouced?.

Edited by Lost Dragon, Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:03 AM.

#4 Adriano Arcade OFFLINE  

Adriano Arcade

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 119 posts

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:34 PM

Thanks Lost Dragon for your kind words. Looking back at your first post, there are a number of questions I now regret not asking. Bill certainly goes into a lot of depth. He was a legend to talk to. I didn't ask about Quake! Doh! His talk on John Carmack was fascinating I do agree!

#5 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,948 posts

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:20 PM

Thanks Lost Dragon for your kind words. Looking back at your first post, there are a number of questions I now regret not asking. Bill certainly goes into a lot of depth. He was a legend to talk to. I didn't ask about Quake! Doh! His talk on John Carmack was fascinating I do agree!

Your more than welcome, i found the interview to be a great listen.

Don't beat yourself up over Q's you missed :-). Bill was kind enough to admit himself his memory is hazy..gets confused a few times..Dave Taylor refered to as John Taylor, his talk of ST Star Raiders veers into Star Wars, there was confusion over Battlesphere at 1 point and you had to jog his memory at times.

Completely understandable given years passed since the events.

It sounds like he had left Atari by time Quake was even annouced on PC and his comments about how Atari would of signed up Doom II had Carmack conjured it up are pretty telling..if I.D,having seen how poorly Doom and Wolfenstien sold on Jaguar, weren't willing to do Doom II for Jaguar..can anyone really see Quake being a commercial possibility?

Out of personal interest,it would of been nice to hear who he approached in Japan and what the reaction was, when trying to gain support for the Jaguar.

#6 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,948 posts

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2018 6:26 AM

Are you still in contact with Bill?

If so, would you mind asking him if he remembers anything about the presentation he gave to Interplay after he showed off the Jaguar Hardware and gangs, trying to sign them up as a Jaguar developer?.

This claim in particular:

"Atari had geared all its marketing resources and
development bucks on the Panther a few years ago, and were hoping for a big
Panther/Lynx debut. Well, the Panther died. So, the Lynx got shoved out in
the cold cruel world by itself."

Many thanks ☺

I wouldn't worry about Jaguar Quake. .i think I.D themselves answered that one:

"..We are not working on any more jag projects at the moment ( PC Quake is
taking up all my time). We gave Atari a lot of our time and effort,
and we are now in a “wait and see” mode. If they hit their sales
projections, we will probably do something else late next year. We
are probably going to license the jag DOOM code to some other
companies though, so you might see a similar game before that.

John Carmack"

Edited by Lost Dragon, Wed Aug 1, 2018 6:29 AM.

#7 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,638 posts

Posted Thu Aug 2, 2018 9:43 AM

I started listening to this last night and its been good so far. I live in the suburbs of Chicago so its neat hearing him talk about all the locations where things happened. I would have been 10-11 years old at the time.

#8 Jagosaurus OFFLINE  

Jagosaurus

Dragonstomper

• 516 posts

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2018 8:57 AM

I added your show on Stitcher app, but noticed some uploads are missing such as Episode 61 here (jumped from 52 to 60, then 60 to 62). Enjoying the listen via Youtube. Just a heads up there. Thanks! Very interesting at 28 mins in so far.

#9 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,948 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 8:28 AM

Would be fantastic to see a follow up interview sone with Bill...

Another potential question to put to him, would if he was trying to get Interplay to port Descent to the Jaguar?

#10 Adriano Arcade OFFLINE  

Adriano Arcade

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 119 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 AM

I added your show on Stitcher app, but noticed some uploads are missing such as Episode 61 here (jumped from 52 to 60, then 60 to 62). Enjoying the listen via Youtube. Just a heads up there. Thanks! Very interesting at 28 mins in so far.

Not sure what is up with Sticher. It seems ok now my end? Thanks for subscribing! I hope you enjoy! 

#11 Adriano Arcade OFFLINE  

Adriano Arcade

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 119 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:33 AM

Would be fantastic to see a follow up interview sone with Bill...

Another potential question to put to him, would if he was trying to get Interplay to port Descent to the Jaguar?

Thanks Lost Dragon. Will use these if a follow-up interview happens.

:)

#12 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,948 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 AM

Much appreciated.

I've a follow up question for your Rayman creator, if your still in touch with him?.

#13 Jagosaurus OFFLINE  

Jagosaurus

Dragonstomper

• 516 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:09 AM

Not sure what is up with Sticher. It seems ok now my end? Thanks for subscribing! I hope you enjoy! 

Awesome. Just double checked for you. All are now showing up in Stitcher.

I'm about halfway through the James Purple Hampton interview. Great stuff.

I also listened to the Saturn episode while driving to a customer site this week. That's a story that gets truncated often. Solid, comprehensive overview.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bill rehbock, doom, super burnout, atari karts

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users