Photo

Telegames questions

39 replies to this topic

#26 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• Topic Starter
  • 6,455 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 9:07 AM

That's a reproduction cart, not an original AtariSoft cart, but can't tell you who made it just from that one picture.. The original AtariSoft cart does not have a label that wraps over to the top... they are two separate labels.

That's what immediately gave away that something is off about this one. Clearly not an Atarisoft cart. Just asking if this is the work of Telegames--it looks like something they would do. :P
Especially since I'm almost positive that's a Telegames shell, especially judging by the back:

s-l1600.jpg

I've never heard of a Telegames version of Galaxian so I was curious. :)

#27 mumbai OFFLINE  

mumbai

Dragonstomper

• 724 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 9:36 AM

The seller offering this particular cartridge has a long track record of dumping reproductions on eBay. I wouldn't read much into the reverse of the casing.

#28 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,909 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 6:41 AM

Like Mumbai said.

That is a Telegames cart shell and it's definetely a reproduction that could have been made by Telegames, eColeco or numerous other people. The label suggests one of the first two and most likely Telegames.

#29 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Dragonstomper

• 865 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 7:13 AM

I don't know. Most of the Telegames carts on AtariAge's database use text labels. The database does show repo boxes, but Telegames added their logo to the boxes.

#30 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,909 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 7:25 AM

Initially Telegames UK produced some very professional looking labels for their reproductions, but in a case like this Galaxian, I doubt a definitive answer on it's origins will ever be had.

#31 mumbai OFFLINE  

mumbai

Dragonstomper

• 724 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 AM

That is a Telegames cart shell and it's definetely a reproduction that could have been made by Telegames, eColeco or numerous other people. The label suggests one of the first two and most likely Telegames.

That the seller lists it as a "novelty/repro cart" with label artwork so at odds with other Telegames releases suggests this is not original to Telegames. He/she took the effort to reproduce the manuals for the co-listed Bit/Telegames fakes (Tank Wars, Boulder Dash, Strike It, Cosmic Crisis) but not for this one, which is also cautionary. And strange, though I would imagine attaching a dummied Atarisoft manual to this listing would give the lie to the nature of this cartridge.

I'd strongly wager this is nothing more than a homemade fake. $70 + shipping is simply too ridiculous a price to pay to prove that incontrovertibly.

ETA: At least one person knows for certain what this is, but isn't saying: the seller. The outright CYA-ism of the one-line cartridge description reads that way to me. Perhaps I'm being unduly skeptical, but the offer strikes me as deliberately coy. The seller clearly knows which hard-to-find games to selectively market, while keeping mum about their origins in the hope potential buyers will supply their own wishful thinking. Maybe that's being too harsh about it.

Edited by mumbai, Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 AM.

#32 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,909 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 PM

You know what, I totally forgot about the collaboration between CBS Electronics, Telegames UK and eColeco that produced carts such as this patched version of Defender for ADAM and PAL CV owners. Notice the one-piece replica label with the addition of the word ADAM on it so as to note that this is the ADAM version....

Attached Thumbnails

• Defender (PAL & ADAM Fix) - Cartridge.jpg

#33 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• Topic Starter
  • 6,455 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2018 11:03 AM

You know what, I totally forgot about the collaboration between CBS Electronics, Telegames UK and eColeco that produced carts such as this patched version of Defender for ADAM and PAL CV owners. Notice the one-piece replica label with the addition of the word ADAM on it so as to note that this is the ADAM version....

Nice! I've never even heard of that before.

Is there a patched version of Defender for NTSC CV owners that makes the game harder? :P :-D

#34 Atari_Bill OFFLINE  

Atari_Bill

Stargunner

• 1,922 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2018 1:13 PM

That the seller lists it as a "novelty/repro cart" with label artwork so at odds with other Telegames releases suggests this is not original to Telegames. He/she took the effort to reproduce the manuals for the co-listed Bit/Telegames fakes (Tank Wars, Boulder Dash, Strike It, Cosmic Crisis) but not for this one, which is also cautionary. And strange, though I would imagine attaching a dummied Atarisoft manual to this listing would give the lie to the nature of this cartridge.

I'd strongly wager this is nothing more than a homemade fake. $70 + shipping is simply too ridiculous a price to pay to prove that incontrovertibly.

ETA: At least one person knows for certain what this is, but isn't saying: the seller. The outright CYA-ism of the one-line cartridge description reads that way to me. Perhaps I'm being unduly skeptical, but the offer strikes me as deliberately coy. The seller clearly knows which hard-to-find games to selectively market, while keeping mum about their origins in the hope potential buyers will supply their own wishful thinking. Maybe that's being too harsh about it.

I've been seeing a ton of listings from voltman lately that are EXTREMELY deceptive. Carts like tank command for the 7800 that look spot on but if you drill into the listing you'll see "Novelty Cart" mentioned. I've almost been taken in several times till I see its him. Very shady listings in my opinion. This seller has been pulling this crap for some years now.

Edited by Atari_Bill, Sat May 12, 2018 1:14 PM.

#35 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• Topic Starter
  • 6,455 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2018 2:17 PM

This thread about DINA contoller pinouts reminded me of something:

There are two unused IC locations on the DINA's motherboard. I suspected that they may have been intended for Colecovision controller ICs, except those are 20-pin chips and the unused IC locations look like they're for 18-pin chips (judging from slightly indeterminate photos online; I didn't think to check my own board when I had my DINA open the other day, d'oh!)

If those IC locations are not for Coleco controller ICs...what the heck are they for?

It would be really neat to be able to use all the Coleco controllers and peripherals on the DINA--and therefore have "100% compatibility," minus the handful of titles that seem to glitch out on the system--but I wonder if the presence of Coleco controller ICs, even theoretically, would mess with the native "joystick" and SG-1000 compatibility?

#36 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,909 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 PM

Is there a patched version of Defender for NTSC CV owners that makes the game harder? :P :-D

Try using this controller if you want to experience more difficult gameplay...

Attached Thumbnails

• Quickshot III Deluxe - CIB #03.jpg

#37 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• Topic Starter
  • 6,455 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2018 4:46 PM

Try using this controller if you want to experience more difficult gameplay...

I think I can one-up you there with the Wico Command Control joystick for Coleco (same design used for Intellivision II version):

colecovision%20controller%20wico%20angle

I have one.

I recommend it to no one.

And even with this handheld monument to masochism, Defender is still a complete push-over. :P

#38 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,909 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 10:16 PM

I think I can one-up you there with the Wico Command Control joystick for Coleco

Damn It!!! I was going to go with the Wico CC but then changed my mind. I'll give you this round, the Wico CC is worse.

#39 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• Topic Starter
  • 6,455 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 AM

I'll give you this round, the Wico CC is worse.

Well, it's not like anybody "wins" with either of these. :P

Call it a draw? :-D

#40 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,909 posts

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 5:56 PM

Well, it's not like anybody "wins" with either of these. :P

Call it a draw? :-D

Sounds good but I still gotta try to one up you so....

Hook up a 2-in-1 Y-Adapter and then the Quickshot and Wico CC to the Y-Adapter. You can choose what joystick and fire buttons to use but they can't be from the same controller. :P

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users