IGNORED

Possible to add music to Dark Chambers?

Pac-Lander

Im amazed at some of the homebrew achievements that have been made with the beloved Atari 7800 library. Crystal Quest and Donkey Kong PK are specific standouts, and it shows how much of a difference sound and music can make, not to mention what the 7800 was capable of when utilizing the POKEY chip.

So, its led me to wonder - how hard would it be to add OMINOUS and creepy music to Dark Chambers? I think it would make a world of difference for an otherwise pretty good game. The lack of music and the average-to-less-than-average sound fx really prevent this game from being one of the better titles on the system.

There arent a lot of great top-down adventures for the 7800, especially in the D&D-esque aesthetic world that Dark Chambers is set in. Im no programmer, and this was just a thought...but if anyone would be capable of pulling of such a feat, I would be the first one to purchase a copy!

It is possible to use the audio input from the cartridge connector and play audio through it!

My idea would be to use the music from Ghouls & Ghosts and loop it and have it play in the background.

Or make some different tracks on a cd and play them randomly while playing.

Ha! Yes, I have done something similar to this :)

Although what I was referring to was actually adding code to the game and integrating POKEY sound effects and music, using a harvested Ballblazer POKEY chip.

I'm clearly a layman, so was just wondering if this is something that was possible....? I was inspired by tep392's work on Donkey Kong PK, and wondered if something similar (but different in that it's just tweaking the audio, and not the actual gameplay or visuals) would be possible on a programming level.

Thanks,

Aaron

I have always loved the intro music for Dark Chambers on the 7800 . And have always wished it had equally good in game music .

Exactly! Imagine this game with Gauntlet or Legend of Zelda (underworld) music.....it would really make a HUGE difference. And with the POKEY, it would be possible!