IGNORED

Nintendo Switch - Hidden Gems - - Too soon?

Metal Jesus

I personally think the time is right to talk about some Hidden Gems on the Switch, because there are already 715 games in the North American eShop alone...and it's sometimes tough to find the good stuff. What do you think?

GAMES SHOWN:

ATOMIK: RunGunJumpGun
Earthlock
Skies of Fury DX
Mantis Burn Racing
Breakforcist Battle
Kona
Sky Force Reloaded
Toki Tori
Aqua Kitty UDX
What other Switch eShop games would you recommend?

Skyforce is an excellent game. This is a pretty old SCHMUP (I originally played this on the Tapwave Zodiac!) but I have great memories of this game. It is totally worth it in my honest opinion.

I suspect tons of spectacular games are going to fly under the radar and be missed over the years due to the "digital revolution". Long gone will be the days of finding some cool hidden gem at a yard sale or a Goodwill/Salvation army years after the system is retired.....or at least this is what I will suspect will be the future for these games on this machine.

For some reason, I find that I'm buying more eShop games than before... I think it's because the system is portable and it's convenient to have them on a SD card.

I have a personal eShop rule I live by. If it is a good game and under $10 I will generally buy it. Anything over $10 must be in physical form.

I have a personal eShop rule I live by. If it is a good game and under $10 I will generally buy it. Anything over $10 must be in physical form.

I'm kinda the same way when it comes to iPhone/mobile games... It almost feels like a movie rental at that point and I won't cry if it goes away

Edited by Metal Jesus

That's how any sane and informed person should feel. Game companies and more try so far to lie to the general public that you're BUYING something as in, you own it. But if you don't actually read the TOS/EULA only the day you sign up for a service (or if they run some update) you end up not knowing it's a rental buying limited time to use a product until they want it back basically. Back in this case would be end of service, end of system, end of system support, licensing battles, etc. It basically is encouraging a huge racket of underground theft and system hacking taking away physical eventually as people will want what gets removed and can never legitimately have again.

• Like 1

And in case people did not read the EULA regarding digitally purchased content:

8. Digital Items

As part of the Nintendo Account Services, Nintendo or third parties may make certain digital content or items available to you ("Digital Items"). If you buy or acquire any Digital Items, you obtain a limited license (as set forth in Section 2) to use such Digital Items in connection with the Nintendo Account Services. Other than this limited license, you have no right or title in or to Digital Items. Digital Items cannot be sold or transferred to a third party (unless a transfer is permitted within the Nintendo Account Services) and cannot be exchanged for or converted to cash or legal tender or for any goods or services outside of the Nintendo Account Services. Except as authorized by Nintendo or as required by applicable law, Digital Items are not returnable or refundable.

And section 2:

2. License

Subject to the terms of this Agreement, Nintendo grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to use the Nintendo Account Services solely for your personal and non commercial use. You are not allowed to lease, rent, sublicense, publish, copy, modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble all or any portion of the Nintendo Account Services without Nintendo’s written consent, or unless otherwise expressly permitted by applicable law.

For all that don't know, a "revocable" license in legal terms means that they can revoke your license (for your account, digitally purchased games, etc) with or without cause. In other words, when they cancel the eShop someday and you want to bitch and moan that you "owned" tons of games...you have no leg to stand on legally.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 4

Just because both of you roll over and don't care doesn't mean people shouldn't be informed they have no rights to what they spent their money on, especially in the case of stuff like online consoles where they'll charge the same price for a digital release as a physical one. One is unowned vapor that can get shut off for any whim, the other, do as you please until it dies or you care to sell it which you can't do with the other either.

Face it you're not enlightened to having lots of free space, you're convinced tools or don't care anymore. MJR/eightbit are right, after a certain low price threshold it makes no sense. Games when you have no rights need to be thought of as no better than an online streaming sub or maybe a redbox rental because that is what they are, borrowed and temporary.

• Like 1

Holy balls, give it a rest. We know some people like their physical media. Do we really need. All. These. Screeds.

Worrying about what Nintendo *may* someday do you you under the terms of their legal agreement when their system is no longer commercially active is keeping you from enjoying what's out there now.

Besides, MJ is talking about games, not licenses, and I don't recall him asking for anyone's advice about how to purchase his entertainment.

Holy balls, give it a rest. We know some people like their physical media. Do we really need. All. These. Screeds.

Worrying about what Nintendo *may* someday do you you under the terms of their legal agreement when their system is no longer commercially active is keeping you from enjoying what's out there now.

Besides, MJ is talking about games, not licenses, and I don't recall him asking for anyone's advice about how to purchase his entertainment.

I think we were just having a conversation is all. He mentioned hidden gems and mentioned that he is buying more eShop games due to convenience. I mentioned a game that I think is a gem, and mentioned that I live by a $10 rule because of the nature of digital content purchasing. Basically what I was trying to point out is that a lot of gems will be missed by me personally because it is my preference not to spent more than $10 on digital "goods", as well as the fact that someday these gems will be lost when people have no ability to buy them online.

That said, it was a conversation is all. Not meant to sway anyone one way or another....but definitely meant to keep folks informed. It's only Monday ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This little handheld hybrid has no shortage of awesome games for it $20 or less! Here are 10 games worth checking out on your Switch.

SWITCH GAMES SHOWN:

Immortal Redneck
Battle Chef Brigade
The Banner Saga
Night in the Woods
Framed Collection
Oxenfree
Death Road to Canada
Golf Story
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Cat Quest
  • Like 1

Golf Story keeps coming up and I just have no idea why I haven't given it a go yet. I will have to do this soon. I am already on a backlog of about 40 games that I own that I still haven't played!

One game that is not too "hidden" although ironically the people I speak to locally who consider themselves avid Switch gamers generally do not know about is Axiom Verge. So, that game is at least a hidden local gem for me. Such a fantastic game with one of the best soundtracks I can recall in recent memory, and believe it or not I have a hard time getting people to try it!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I think the Switch is seeing a pattern of success very analogous to the original NES.

1985 - Test market

1986 - actual launch, to a market that is surprised by the success.

1987 - period of slow releases as developers scramble to design games and get them out in 6-12 months

1988 - flood of releases as the core developers are suddenly joined by dozens of Johnny-come-latelys .

We're in the 1988 phase now, and just as a lot of hidden NES gems were 1988 releases, so too will a lot of hidden Switch gems be 2018/2019 releases.

• Like 1

"Hidden gem" is a kind of funny way to put it, though. Even though there are hundreds of games in the eShop, they're all ready to purchase and download, so long as you know where to look. Maybe "buried treasure?" I don't know.

I would call them "games I enjoyed that you might not know about." I don't know if that gets the clicks, though.