IGNORED

Lynx exhibition at RetroMadrid 2018

Juan José Torres

RetroMadrid, one of Spain's oldest and most important retrocomputing fairs, took place this past weekend. One of the exhibitions on display in the fair was completely dedicated to Lynx. The exhibition consisted of several Lynx I's and II's, as well as a full array of accesories and games (all 71 titles which were officially released between 1989 and 1995 with Atari's explicit consent and supervision), samples of Lynx publicity by Atari subsidiaries around the world, limited edition pin coffret, Japanese edition Gates of Zendocon and Blue Lightning Demo cart among other things.

The exhibition drew the attention of many visitors and it sparckled interest in the console. I personally had an amazing time talking to several persons who were interested in the history and details surrouding our beloved console.

I even got to talk to former Atari España employees who shared with me incredibly interesting information about the inner workings of the company at the time the Lynx was being distributed in Spain.

I also had the chance to talk to the current editor in chief of the Spanish edition of Retrogamer, who was also working back then at the first Spanish magazine dedicated to gaming consoles, Hobby Consolas. He was enthusiastic about Lynx and shared with me some stories from back then.

Setting up this exhibition has been a marvelous experience that I hope to be able to repeat next year. I'm already starting to consider ways to improve on this year's exhibit.

As a treat, I'll leave here some pictures and a video of the exhibition so you can get an idea of what it was like.

post-61426-0-99877700-1525481341_thumb.jpg

post-61426-0-36443800-1525481363_thumb.jpg

post-61426-0-99766100-1525481477_thumb.jpg

post-61426-0-69559700-1525481494_thumb.jpg

post-61426-0-91235600-1525481504_thumb.jpg

post-61426-0-91861500-1525481517_thumb.jpg

post-61426-0-59630900-1525481525.jpg

• Like 3

That's awesome. I often find that introducing people to what are, to the wider public, more obscure game consoles like the lynx often makes new fans. I am an organizer for a fund raiser/retro game show over in the states, and we've done similar museum exhibits. They always end up with a bunch of people running back to the vendors to find one to buy and play.

The lynx, in particular, is a pretty easy sell. There are just so many great late 80s arcade ports and original titles on it.

Love the classy glass matching display cases.

I said it already on Facebook, but it's worth repeating: that is such a gorgeous display and much better than anything I've seen in the States. Those display cases really make this look professional, like something you'd see in a museum.