IGNORED

New Case for TIPI and 32K Sidecar Memory Expansion

COREi64

Alright guys. Here's what I've come up with so far. Still have to fine tune, and get the internal support structures done, but I'm getting close.

LED's on this case shine through the side of this case. There is no option for an LED through the lid. As with the 32K case, heatsets are used to attach the base to the lid from the back. Finger grips are integrated into the sides of the case to allow for a firm grip when plugging in or pulling the device off your TI99.

An adjustable "Thumbscrew" foot has been integrated into the lid. I did this because, with the two cards now, the case had to become pretty beefy, and as such, hangs pretty far off the side of the machine. I felt it prudent to incorporate some sort of support to take the pressure off the edge connector. I plan on printing this weekend, and with luck, if my measurements are good, I should have something to show to you very soon.

For the time being, have a look at the renders. I did them in black and silver like I've been printing the 32K cases. I plan on doing the same with this new case, but of course, any color combination will be offered.

Thomas

COREi64

post-45854-0-60714000-1525493931.jpgpost-45854-0-53335600-1525493932_thumb.jpgpost-45854-0-50055400-1525493933.jpgpost-45854-0-29853700-1525493934.jpgpost-45854-0-23359300-1525493935.jpg

• Like 8

Awesome! I was going to design one myself, but glad someone beat me to it. Your renderings look much better than anything I would have come up with :)

If you need an additional tester, I have a FlashForge Creator Pro (3D printer), 32k+TIPI and can print/test here. Not sure if you intend on selling these or publishing on a site like thingiverse.com. Either way, I'd be happy to try it out on my printer and provide feedback when you're ready. If you intend to sell them, I'd buy one from you as well. Feel free to PM me if you want help testing it out.

Thanks for your comments.

I plan on selling these cases. Won't be releasing the STLs however, as a general rule, I don't do that for my designs. First one is on the printer right now, will see what needs to be tweaked...

Thomas

COREi64

• Like 4

Printed it today to test fit the boards. Pleased to report a perfect fit. The only changes I need to do is for aesthetics. A little fillet alteration on the TIPI LED area, and a minor change on the text/logo on the cover. Otherwise the case is done.

Designed the spacers, and will print them tomorrow. Once those are perfect, I'll print one in black and silver. Rest assured, I won't be forcing a RED case on anyone. Just used that color for development... The red doesn't show off the case that well, nor does the lighting do it any favors that I have in my office. But you get the idea, and can see that the case now exists outside of the virtual world.

After this, I'll be developing a matching Raspberry Pi case, with an integrated window option for those who want to use that Adafruit display. My display is supposed to be here by Wednesday next week, so it should be perfect timing for my available time.

Thomas

COREi64

post-45854-0-34155800-1525588663_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hmmm, let me see,,, If the line starts at the first request, that puts me on top right?

So the rest of you guys can get in line BEHIND ME! :P Nyah! (just having fun)

Omega..... +1

Schmitzi.. +2

Airshack.. +1

jonecool.. +1

Seriously though, 5 holds already, good job!

BTW, Thomas, I like the extra thought you put into the thumbscrew foot.

• Like 1

I do have one question. This new case does not appear to have a pop-out like the 32K case did.

Are you planning to offer a cover with a pop-out so people can hook up their P-Boxes?

Some people do not have RS-232's in their P-Boxes, but do have legacy format disk drives. The TIPI will enable people to copy things over to those old drives from the Internet and also use whatever other hardware they have as well.

Other people may later go to the internal TIPI... unless they are out of room to stick another card, so this might come in handy too.

post-35324-0-91344000-1525649082.jpg

I do have one question. This new case does not appear to have a pop-out like the 32K case did.

Are you planning to offer a cover with a pop-out so people can hook up their P-Boxes?

Some people do not have RS-232's in their P-Boxes, but do have legacy format disk drives. The TIPI will enable people to copy things over to those old drives from the Internet and also use whatever other hardware they have as well.

Other people may later go to the internal TIPI... unless they are out of room to stick another card, so this might come in handy too.

In my opinion, that little thing is a testing tool. It should be ignored from a production standpoint. It is too expensive to support every use case. And little doors and windows have no idea how big the thing needs to be that connects to the header... So accommodating it isn't likely to be helpful anyway.

That thing is also a good way to create bus errors. It doesn't fit correctly in the peb flex cable connector, and can easily short many pairs of wires. I would throw them away if you have them and are not a developer.

-M@

Almost done.

Printed it in black and silver with the minor adjustments that were needed. I'm happy enough with the case to call it finished. I printed the internal middle support pieces and they fit well. The top support piece needs a small adjustment and that's on the printer now. I expect by the end of the day to have some beauty shots posted.

Here's what it looks like so far.

post-45854-0-88018100-1525705367_thumb.jpgpost-45854-0-52763500-1525705389_thumb.jpg

Thomas

COREi64

• Like 4

Ok, this case is done. The spacers are now perfect. The board combination inside is rock solid, doesn't move AT ALL. Everything is nice and tight. There is no strain on the boards.

To insert the boards into the case (I will take some photos or a short video of how to assemble it), you insert the spacers between the 32K and the TIPI, then place the combination in your hand with the female edge connector up. Slide the bottom of the case over the entire assembly.

Then, place the spacer on top, place the lid on top of it all. Put the four screws in and tighten. I'm including the hex key tool with every case, so you don't have to try to hunt for one.

The support thumbscrew foot is already installed. Once you plug your 32K/TIPI in it's case into your TI, you'll just have to adjust the foot to your desk surface to support the case.

If you want one, you can order it here.

http://corei64.com/store/products.php?135&cPath=23_24

Once the display arrives that I ordered from Adafruit, I'll be coming up with a matching Raspberry Pi case with integrated display as an option that compliments this case design.

Here are some photos of the finished product.

Thomas

COREi64

post-45854-0-28527600-1525722076_thumb.jpgpost-45854-0-15983000-1525722093_thumb.jpgpost-45854-0-84917200-1525722100_thumb.jpgpost-45854-0-25182900-1525722118_thumb.jpgpost-45854-0-35804800-1525722140_thumb.jpgpost-45854-0-84337800-1525722164_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Thomas,

I just ordered one, then I noticed it looks like you have some kind of extension to the connector (or maybe I just can't remember what the connector looks like :) ). Is there anything else needed for this case aside from the 32k side car and the TIPI/Pi?

Ok, this case is done. The spacers are now perfect. The board combination inside is rock solid, doesn't move AT ALL. Everything is nice and tight. There is no strain on the boards.

To insert the boards into the case (I will take some photos or a short video of how to assemble it), you insert the spacers between the 32K and the TIPI, then place the combination in your hand with the female edge connector up. Slide the bottom of the case over the entire assembly.

Then, place the spacer on top, place the lid on top of it all. Put the four screws in and tighten. I'm including the hex key tool with every case, so you don't have to try to hunt for one.

The support thumbscrew foot is already installed. Once you plug your 32K/TIPI in it's case into your TI, you'll just have to adjust the foot to your desk surface to support the case.

If you want one, you can order it here.

http://corei64.com/store/products.php?135&cPath=23_24

Once the display arrives that I ordered from Adafruit, I'll be coming up with a matching Raspberry Pi case with integrated display as an option that compliments this case design.

Here are some photos of the finished product.

Thomas

COREi64

attachicon.gifIMG_3902.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3903.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3904.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3905.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3906.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3910.JPG

Edited by jonecool

Hi there. Thanks for your order.

Can't imagine that there would be that much heat generated that it would be an issue... Jedimatt could probably speak to that better, or those who have been using the combination for a while now.

The 32K card that I'm using to demonstrate with is one that follows the original design parameters. I know some builders of these boards have been taking the lazy route and simply soldering the connector to the board without the extension pins. That type of build, albeit being marketed cheaper as a "shorty" board won't work with ANY case. With those "short boards" the best you can hope for is a roll of electrical tape along with a prayer that none of the pins poke through the tape and short out on anything.

So, if you have a properly built 32K board, and Jedimatt's TIPI board, you're all set to fit it into the case!

Thomas

COREi64

• Like 1

I got mine from arcadeshopper, it doesn't look like the one you have pictured. Please cancel/hold my order for now (789) until I confirm with them regarding the extension.

Hi there. Thanks for your order.

Can't imagine that there would be that much heat generated that it would be an issue... Jedimatt could probably speak to that better, or those who have been using the combination for a while now.

The 32K card that I'm using to demonstrate with is one that follows the original design parameters. I know some builders of these boards have been taking the lazy route and simply soldering the connector to the board without the extension pins. That type of build, albeit being marketed cheaper as a "shorty" board won't work with ANY case. With those "short boards" the best you can hope for is a roll of electrical tape along with a prayer that none of the pins poke through the tape and short out on anything.

So, if you have a properly built 32K board, and Jedimatt's TIPI board, you're all set to fit it into the case!

Thomas

COREi64

Hi Jonecool...

If you bought your 32K recently from Arcadeshopper, then there's a high likelihood that it's one that cannot be cased (I've seen the ones that were on his shop recently). The ones that I build/sell all have the extension build in as per the original design spec.

I've gone ahead an cancelled your order. If you do find you have a compatible 32K card with the integrated edge connector extension, feel free to re-order if you'd like.

Thanks,

Thomas

P.S.

This is how the board constructed to the original design spec extension should look. Only boards constructed in this manner are compatible. It's not possible to case those boards without the extension.

post-45854-0-13346100-1525726866_thumb.jpgpost-45854-0-84211800-1525726882_thumb.jpg

Edited by COREi64

Thanks Thomas, yep I just checked my order history and it is stated as "Shorty" and can't be used with existing cases. However, being that I've been out of the TI Community for about 30+ years I took that to mean that a new case would need to be developed for it (not that it was impossible to put a case over it). Why make/sell a version that can't be cased is beyond my reasoning skills. Thanks for your help!

Hi Jonecool...

If you bought your 32K recently from Arcadeshopper, then there's a high likelihood that it's one that cannot be cased (I've seen the ones that were on his shop recently). The ones that I build/sell all have the extension build in as per the original design spec.

I've gone ahead an cancelled your order. If you do find you have a compatible 32K card with the integrated edge connector extension, feel free to re-order if you'd like.

Thanks,

Thomas

Edited by jonecool

Yes, I thought that exact thing when I see people selling these "short" version. WHY?

The problem is that when the connector is soldered onto the circuit board without the extension, it is simply SO CLOSE to the computer when plugged in, there is very little leeway for getting plastic between the board and the case. This is the problem with the NanoPEB device.

I could probably modify my design, but thinning out the back would take so much strength out of that area, I'm not confident that it would last long before it would crack from any pressure that would be applied. All I'd end up with would be unhappy customers, and it'd cost me a small fortune in re-shipments to replace broken cases. That's why I normally stay away from (from a case design standpoint) poorly build devices.

If you measured your memory expander between the body of the computer and the furthest protruding pin sticking through the back of the board when plugged into your TI, that would basically be the amount of space available for the back surface of the case. In the case of the NanoPEB (and I suspect your short board) it's less than a mm (the NanoPEB is particularly bad because of one of the connectors they use on the board. Usually I find that 10 layers (or 2 mm) is sufficient in making a solid back.

Thomas

COREi64

Thanks Thomas, yep I just checked my order history and it is stated as "Shorty" and can't be used with existing cases. However, being that I've been out of the TI Community for about 30+ years I took that to mean that a new case would need to be developed for it (not that it was impossible to put a case over it). Why make/sell a version that can't be cased is beyond my reasoning skills. Thanks for your help!

Edited by COREi64