Photo

Does the Atarimax 128-in-1 flash multicart work with Windows 10?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Spector OFFLINE  

Spector

Dragonstomper

• 662 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 2:19 AM

Atarimax now make the SD multicart, but I still have the 128-in-1 USB cart they made ten years ago, and I can't get it to work with my Windows 10 PC. The PC simply doesn't recognise the cartridge is connected when I plug in the USB cable. Is this because it doesn't work with Windows 10?

#2 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,952 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 4:48 AM

Are you using the AtariMax software that's designed to interface with the 128-in-1?

#3 Spector OFFLINE  

Spector

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 662 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 8:13 AM

Are you using the AtariMax software that's designed to interface with the 128-in-1?

Yes, I'm using the original installation software CD that came with the cart when I bought it in 2006, and it worked on my old computer back then.

#4 R.Cade OFFLINE  

R.Cade

Stargunner

• 1,190 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 8:15 AM

It probably only works on Windows XP, but that's just a guess based on the time it was released.

#5 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,017 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 8:33 AM

It probably only works on Windows XP, but that's just a guess based on the time it was released.

Nope... it works with multiple versions of Windows and it should work with Win-10.

#6 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,017 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 8:36 AM

Spector... does the 128-in-1 still work properly on your CV? If so, then we ruled out one possibility.

#7 Spector OFFLINE  

Spector

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 662 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 8:38 AM

Here's the update - it appears the forum on the atarimax site has a link to device drivers that will make it work with Windows 7:

https://www.atarimax...c.php?f=8&t=888

I've got a Windows 7 laptop I could use this for. But I can't download the 64 bit drivers. I don't have an account on the atarimax site, and when I tried to sign up, they said my IP address was blocked because its reputation is "poor"!!!!  :grin:  Well well well!! I knew I argued passionately at times, but wow!! 

I can't get the device drivers for Windows 7. I need them. Somebody please help me.  :)

#8 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,630 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 8:42 AM

It's working for me fine in Windows 10.  You probably haven't installed the USB driver that's needed.  These are the instructions I use when setting it up on my Win 10 64-bit PC.  Are you using 64-bit Windows 10?

1. Download the attachment to this post and extract it's contents to a convenient location, e.g. C:\Users\[User]\Documents
  2. Connect 128-in-1 dumper cart to your PC.
  3. Open Device Manager and navigate to “Atarimax USB Cartridge Interface” which is shown as an “unknown device”.
  4. Right-click on it and do a manual search for drivers.
  5. Navigate to where you unzipped the USB driver in step 1.
  6. Click on OK.  The device should now be recognised and no longer shown as unknown.
  7. Verify it is working by connecting cart dumper to the PC and opening the ColecoVision Multi-cart studio software.  It should show “CARTRIDGE CONNECTED” in a green filled box in the lower left of the window.
  8. You can now delete the USB driver files that you extracted earlier, but keep a copy of the zip file in case you need to reinstall in the future.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files

Edited by Ikrananka, Sat May 5, 2018 8:44 AM.

#9 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,630 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 8:48 AM

Here's the update - it appears the forum on the atarimax site has a link to device drivers that will make it work with Windows 7:

https://www.atarimax...c.php?f=8&t=888

I've got a Windows 7 laptop I could use this for. But I can't download the 64 bit drivers. I don't have an account on the atarimax site, and when I tried to sign up, they said my IP address was blocked because its reputation is "poor"!!!!  :grin:  Well well well!! I knew I argued passionately at times, but wow!! 

I can't get the device drivers for Windows 7. I need them. Somebody please help me.  :)

The USB driver attached to my post above is the one you're looking for.  This works for 64-bit Windows 7 and 10.

Edited by Ikrananka, Sat May 5, 2018 8:49 AM.

#10 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,630 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 8:54 AM

Make sure that you download and install the latest (final) version (v1.4) of the AtariMax Multicart Studio Software from here : https://www.atarimax...s/usbcoleco.exe

Install this BEFORE following my instructions above.

#11 Spector OFFLINE  

Spector

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 662 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 9:37 AM

Make sure that you download and install the latest (final) version (v1.4) of the AtariMax Multicart Studio Software from here : https://www.atarimax...s/usbcoleco.exe

Install this BEFORE following my instructions above.

When I try installing that, it says "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account."

#12 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,630 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 10:15 AM

When I try installing that, it says "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account."

Have you tried right-clicking on the installer and then selecting "Run as administrator" ?

#13 Spector OFFLINE  

Spector

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 662 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 2:04 PM

That was pretty obvious wasn't it, I should have known about running it as administrator in the options. I've tried it all now, and it's not working I'm afraid. It's not even recognising that a USB device is connected, so I can't get past number 3 in your instructions. It makes me wonder if I've actually got a dodgy USB cable. It's not the one I got with the USB cart that I'm using, but I'm using another one I found that's male to male, and I take it that's right? How could it be anything else. Maybe it's the cable.

Edited by Spector, Sat May 5, 2018 2:15 PM.

#14 fiddlepaddle OFFLINE  

fiddlepaddle

River Patroller

• 2,462 posts

Posted Sat May 5, 2018 6:58 PM

I've had a USB port on my computer go bad, and then it works intermittently with some devices and not with others (possibly related to using a device that draws too much power through the USB port). After putting in a new USB card, no problems. Easy to do with most desktop computers (maybe not so easy with a laptop).

#15 ValkerieSilk OFFLINE  

ValkerieSilk

Stargunner

• 1,321 posts

Posted Sun May 6, 2018 11:37 AM

If you still don't have it working, make sure you have windows UAC enabled so you're prompted for local admin rights during installation.  Also, there is a compatibly mode in Windows that will allow you to run the .exe in Windows XP, 7 etc modes with various service releases which you can experiment with.  

#16 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,630 posts

Posted Sun May 6, 2018 12:41 PM

It's not even recognising that a USB device is connected, so I can't get past number 3 in your instructions. It makes me wonder if I've actually got a dodgy USB cable. It's not the one I got with the USB cart that I'm using, but I'm using another one I found that's male to male, and I take it that's right? How could it be anything else. Maybe it's the cable.

If you're not even getting it showing up as an Unknown Device in Windows Device Manager then it is either a faulty cable, faulty USB port or a faulty 128-in-1 cartridge.  The latter is a possibility, one of mine went bad after a few years and Steve from AtariMax kindly replaced it at no charge (I had to ship my faulty one back to him).

#17 Spector OFFLINE  

Spector

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 662 posts

Posted Sun May 6, 2018 3:26 PM

If you're not even getting it showing up as an Unknown Device in Windows Device Manager then it is either a faulty cable, faulty USB port or a faulty 128-in-1 cartridge.  The latter is a possibility, one of mine went bad after a few years and Steve from AtariMax kindly replaced it at no charge (I had to ship my faulty one back to him).

That's what I'm thinking too. It's not a faulty USB port, and the Atarimax cart works fine in the Colecovision. I've ordered another male to male cable; you never know.

#18 youki OFFLINE  

youki

River Patroller

• 2,371 posts

Posted Mon May 7, 2018 8:27 AM

Do you have only one USB port on your PC?

I add some similar issue , the cart did not work on my windows 7  with the 64bit driver...  and when i try on another USB port it works!     I think it could depend if your port are USB 1.0 , 2.0 or 3.0.

#19 Spector OFFLINE  

Spector

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 662 posts

Posted Tue May 8, 2018 12:14 AM

Do you have only one USB port on your PC?

I add some similar issue , the cart did not work on my windows 7  with the 64bit driver...  and when i try on another USB port it works!     I think it could depend if your port are USB 1.0 , 2.0 or 3.0.

Definitely not the USB ports. They all work with other devices, plus I've tried it on an older laptop with three USB ports too, and absolutely nothing. It's not a USB port problem. It's got to be either the cartridge or the cable.

Edited by Spector, Tue May 8, 2018 12:14 AM.

#20 Spector OFFLINE  

Spector

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 662 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 4:18 AM

Here's the update: it was the USB cable!!! It's connecting now alright. I'm just wondering as I can't remember, do I need to do anything fancy to insert a homebrew game in these 127 game slots? I see I've put a couple in there already so it couldn't have been that difficult. It mentions "202 ROM signatures loaded" and I'm just wondering what that's all about.

#21 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,017 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 7:12 AM

The Atarimax software allows you to add titles to the cart but I think you have to have the saved data file from when you put the roms on the cart initially. Been so long since I did it that I can't recall the procedure.

#22 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,630 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 7:38 AM

Glad you got it working.  The instructions for using the Multi-Cart Studio Software are here : https://www.atarimax...n/chapter3.html

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users