IGNORED

New life for my FlashROM 99 or something new for an UberGROM?

Omega-TI

I'm loving my new FinalGROM 99, but now my FlashROM is just sitting on the shelf, and it makes me wonder... is it possible to give it new life?

What I had in mind is an 'update' or replacement for it's firmware. What would be really neat is if there was a way to program it to BYPASS the title screen and immediately load a program off the SDcard.

This program could be 4A/DOS or a loader program for BOOT or whatever someone wanted. With it, there would be no more messing around with the title and selection screens every time you drop out of a program. For TIPI or disk drive users wanting a "DOS environment" of a quick access menu like BOOT or the 9640 Menu System this could be ideal.

Just an idea...

-- OR --

If that cannot be done, how about something with an UberGROM?

doesn't it do that already if the program is the only thing on the card? kind of defeats the purpose tho

No. What it does is eliminates the FlashROM selection screen, you still have to mess with the TI color bar screen and then press 2 at the menu to get into 4A/DOS, it just behaves like a single cartridge.

What I want is a cartridge that can intercept/bypass the color bar screen and auto-execute the program. It would make a lot more sense if one is running 4A/DOS to automatically end up THERE after exiting a program, instead of having to repetitiously press buttons to go there.

You need GROM for a power up routine, so the FlashROM 99 won't do it.

I kinda thought that, which is why I mentioned the UberGROM. I just happen to have an extra Atmega 1284P laying around with a bunch of 49F040's so if it ever came to be, I'm ready.

From an experienced programmers perspective it would probably be a piece of cake to take over the power up routine and run 4A/DOS from the 49F040. The CHARA1 file and any batch files would be on the DSK1. THAT would be blindingly fast.

Horizon RAMDisk.

Problem is Horizon RAM disks appear rare and seem rather expensive when they do come up IIRC.

I'm trying to exploit currently available and attainable stuff that the majority of others could as well, or re-task hardware they already own, giving it new life.

Since the arrival of the FinalGROM, I have more than a few cartridges sitting around doing nothing, FlashROM, UberGROM's, SuperCart, etc. Being able to use these cartridges for something else, which the FinalGROM is not ideally suited for is the goal.