IGNORED

Favorite sports game?

Opry99er

I am a sports game nut. When I lived in Elizabethtown Kentucky, we had a place called Cherry Bomb games (amazing retro game shop) and they had all sports games for a buck a piece or less. Some were 3 for $1 (like Madden '97 and NHL Hockey '95). I would go through and buy every sports game I could because they were cheap and I enjoyed them.

I particularly love All Star Baseball '99 on the N64 and NHL '94 on the Genesis. Super Pro Football and World Series Baseball on the Intellivision are also favorites.

Now that I am playing my Atari more and more, I realize that I have never really fallen in love with an Atari sports game.

What are your favorites? Which would you suggest I pick up?

• Like 1

I too love sports games. Really enjoy the designers' interpretations of the particular sport.

Activision's Tennis is a fantastic game. Though my favorite would indeed be Football. Just played so much of that game as a kid. As well as Basketball.

Ice Hockey also from Activision is a dandy as well..

You already know mine:) One bad thing about 2600 sports games was the AI if it's even an option was usually pretty weak. I enjoyed Super Challenge Football and Realsports Football. The kids next door had a 5200 and Realsports Baseball on that system was one of the greats.

Now that I am playing my Atari more and more, I realize that I have never really fallen in love with an Atari sports game.

What are your favorites? Which would you suggest I pick up?

None Atari sports games just plain suck. Almost all retro sports games completely suck. I would have to say the first sports games I liked were from Accolade: Hardball and 4th and Inches on the Commodore 64.

Home Run

Football (2-player only)

Basketball

Video Olympics ("sports" may be a stretch here, but it stands)

Indy 500

Golf

Track & Field

Tennis

Enduro

Realsports Tennis (essentially Activision Tennis but better)

Super Football

California Games

...I'm a sucker for the really early ones. :-D

Honorable Mentions:

Pete Rose Baseball

Winter Games

Summer Games

Skateboardin'

Mogul Maniac

...these are all excellent and technically some of the best, but I have to be in the mood for these more than the other ones.

I particularly love All Star Baseball '99 on the N64

I played a ton of All Star '99. A friend and I spent a chunk of the last day of 1999 finishing our season. You know, just in case...

Basketball and Ice Hockey are the most fun 2600 sports games, especially 2-player. Pete Rose Baseball is really good once you get the hang of it (it suffers from some wonky defensive controls) and accept the fact that the computer is always going to hit a home run whenever it needs to in 1-player games.

Had a great time with Decathlon back in the day. Plenty of 4 player sessions on that. Not sure it has aged well though, Atari Basketball was a great laugh back in the day too but similar ageing problem I'm guessing.

Realsports Volleyball is underrated.

Really enjoyed Fishing Derby - still do.

The Activision and Realsports Tennis games are excellent too.

Edited by davyK

I played a ton of All Star '99. A friend and I spent a chunk of the last day of 1999 finishing our season. You know, just in case...

Basketball and Ice Hockey are the most fun 2600 sports games, especially 2-player. Pete Rose Baseball is really good once you get the hang of it (it suffers from some wonky defensive controls) and accept the fact that the computer is always going to hit a home run whenever it needs to in 1-player games.

Just in case. :)

Yep, I remember staying up til midnight half expecting the power to shut off and planes to crash and whatnot. I knew it wouldn't, but "What if?"

Good times

Yeah, Ice Hockey and Tennis are great. Fishing Derby really is a fun game, and if Enduro counts as sports then that is probably the best one.

I didn't see Video Olympics mentioned - pretty fun. There's also Sky Diver which is way more fun than it should be.

If we count Enduro then how about Indy 500?

[Edit I see BassGuitar mentioned some]