IGNORED

Does anyone, at all, actually like Rampage?

Atarifever

Does anyone actually really like Rampage? Not the 7800 port, which is a fine enough translation, but I mean the game anywhere, as a whole? I never bought Rampage new or for too high a price on any system I own, have owned, or rented it for (NES, SMS, some computers I believe, 7800). I have played some really bad games, and have even paid for some really bad games. However, I feel like if I bought this game new on any system for full price, I'd have felt more ripped off than on any of the other games. This game is just so boring. It's just over and over and over forever doing the same thing, in most every translations for an absurd number of levels. In the 7800 there are 132 cities to destroy. Please God that doesn't mean when more than one level has the same name, they only count as one city. Anymore than 132 screens and I think insanity would have to set in. Does anyone really, genuinely like Rampage (any version) as anything other than a momentary distraction you put in for 20 minutes every year or two?

Admittedly, I don't play it a lot either, but I definitely like the games. Have it for the 7800 and the PS2. Had World Tour when I had an N64 BITD and enjoyed that well enough, but you're right... usually just beat a few cities at a time, and I'm done with it for a while.

I rented the NES version as a kid and I found it repetitive but it was fun to play with my younger brother.

In those days you rented a game and that was your weekend you make the best of it lol.

My brother and I played through all 50 states at the time.

Now days I might stick the 7800 version in time to time for just a couple minutes.

I guess it’s just for remembering the past but it was never in my top games ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you. I kind of like the game, especially the SMS port which is amazing for an 8-bitter, but the gameplay is really dull. There's not much skill involved, and not much you can do to get better at the game. It's a war of attrition of quarters. I don't generally like that school of arcade game design. On the plus side, there are funny moments and it's satisfying to bring down buildings. It's not a terrible game, imho, but not in my top 20 arcade games... maybe not even top 50.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I rented the NES version as a kid and I found it repetitive but it was fun to play with my younger brother.

In those days you rented a game and that was your weekend you make the best of it lol.

My brother and I played through all 50 states at the time.

This is one of the things I think people miss when they talk about how "expensive" games were back in the day when inflation is taken into account. Whenever someone says "Genesis games used to be $150 adjusted for inflation" or whatever, I say, "yeah, that's why we only got one for Christmas and then rented every other game we ever played for $3 a weekend." Now, when renting barely exists, you need things like digital sales, demos, etc. to take up all thew slack that rentals used to cover. I miss those weekends of renting games and playing them with friends all night long in order to "get our money's worth."

As for making the most of bad ones, I had a lot of those experiences, especially on NES games.

• Like 1

It's not a terrible game, imho, but not in my top 20 arcade games... maybe not even top 50.

That's about my placement as well. The only reason it might be in my top 50 is because I'd have trouble naming another 50 arcade games I really spent enough time with to place relative to it. I imagine a real top arcade game list would have trouble fitting it in the top 100 (surely the NeoGeo has enough better games to fill the list ahead of it by itself).

• Like 1

It's very much an easy pick up and play kind of game. There's something that can be satisfying about smashing things. Despite being a frustrating game from time to time, it always helps me relieve some frustration. I always tend to get sucked in. I think I'm just going to play a couple of cities and turn the game off, but I end up telling myself "just one more city!" I played some in the arcade and on the Lynx (which is a great version), but most of my building destruction days were done on the 7800.

I basically agree with you.

I remember it came out in arcades, and it had its 5 minutes of fame. I saw it; thought that looks neat. Played it once...then one more time. Lost interest. Then my best friend got it for NES. I tried playing it once, then thought it was awful. Now I have it (arcade version) along with a lot of good games on PlayStation 2 (?) and I played it one more time...

OK, I've had my fill haha...

I like it for about ten stages. Then I'm ready for something else.

I think I slogged through the NES version of Rampage back in the day. There were what, 128 stages? It wasn't even one of the better conversions, so it was like two solid hours of mind-numbing mediocrity.

• Like 3

Is there any gameplay difference from choosing different creatures?

Not that I'm aware of. I will never understand why Ralph the Wolf is in this game. Surely Lizzie is Godzilla and George is King Kong, but why did they then go with giant werewolf? If they were going for the Drive-in Monster Movie kind of wolfman, why use Godzilla and King Kong and not The Mummy, Frankenstin's Monster, or Dracula? Clearly the right third choice to match the other giant monsters would have been a giant robot or the 50 foot woman. Or The Blob. The Blob would have been cool.

Edited by Atarifever
  • Like 2

I never bought it back in the day, but it was a good party game and quarter muncher

I have bought it on NES fairly recently and played it on various computer ports, it fun for a little bit, but not to bother trying to complete

I used to play the hell out of the 7800 version hoping for an ending. It was only after beating all the cities a few times over that I realized it wasn't gonna end. Not having a proper ending was a major let down. I enjoy the 7800 version very much so aside from that. If an ending was tacked on after beating all the cities that would have made for a much greater sense of accomplishment playing the game.

I played it on the arcade back in the 80s, and liked watching better players do their thing. It was quite good and one of the memorable classics. Didn't play any port, though. To this day, I only play it occasionally on MAME.

-dZ.

My kids could play it INDEFINITELY. I mean, I've actually been like "ok kids time to turn this off" before they got bored, because I got bored of them playing it. They think it's a hilarious game and the laughs keep coming. Of course, they are 6 and 10.

I thought the N64 Rampage with the "bounce" move really picked up the pace and made it a more enjoyable game.