So, why isn't the Lynx more popular?

28 replies to this topic

#26 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 12,085 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 5:42 PM

And THAT's why people like you and me buy all sorts of stupid $hit now that we can, even when we don't need to. 

#27 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,921 posts

Posted Wed May 16, 2018 1:30 PM

I've noticed, over the years, that the Lynx tends to get the least attention than any other Atari system. Despite the fact that it sold better than the Jaguar (if Atari's sales numbers are to be believed), it's last place in terms of popularity compared to all the other Atari consoles. Just look at the forum post count for each Atari sub forum. The Lynx has the least.

Which I have always found odd. I get the 2600/Atari 8-bit lines being the most popular, they had the most market penetration and popularity (and therefore, nostalgia). Yet, the Lynx never gets the attention even the 5200 or the Jaguar get.

I've always found this strange. They Lynx library is excellent, and it has *vastly* more good titles than the Jaguar library has, and the 5200, due to basically being a dressed up Atari 400 with wonky 1st gen analogue controls, plays poorly even if it has some great 8-bit games.

I mean, the Lynx is *really* fun. It's got the best home ports of all of Atari's late 80s Arcade titles (Xenophobe, Rygar, Klax, Xybots, Roadblasters, Paperboy...) and a bunch of really good original games. It beats the pants of the 7800's original library too (not counting the amazing homebrew selection, and I'm saying this as a huge 7800 fan). It gets a lot of positive press from retro articles on major game websites as well.

So... why isn't it more popular among Atari fans?

I think it's kind of the hidden gem of consoles / systems to be honest!   Many systems have games that are hidden gems, but the Lynx itself is a hidden gem.  Often overlooked due to the GameGear and GameBoy!

#28 Serguei2 OFFLINE  

Serguei2

Dragonstomper

• 685 posts

Posted Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 PM

But Lynx is not remembered as the first color portable in the world?

#29 keepdreamin OFFLINE  

keepdreamin

Stargunner

• 1,319 posts

Posted Wed May 16, 2018 4:16 PM

As a kid in the early 90s, a main selling point for the lynx and game gear for me was that you could game in the dark with them, like, in your bed after your parents thought you were asleep. 

Didn't need a lynx or gg for that.

17020120004.JPG

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users