IGNORED

Atari 800/xl wifi modem questions, hook up, software etc.

tlgrooms

Hi all,

I've got several old Atari computers, 400,800,800xl that I'd like to get set up to play around with getting on BBS's with a WiModem 232.

I was always a Commodore guy, was cheaper in the day and I couldn't afford both so I don't know much about the Atari computers.

I have done a little research and purchased an 850 interface. i have a disk drive also. Not sure if it works because I don't yet have any

software on disk.

Anyway, my questions are:

Now that I will have the 850 interface, will a regular 9 to 25 pin serial cable work between the wifi modem and the 850? or do I need a

special cable?

Can anyone recommend the best terminal software for the old 8 bits? Is it all strictly 40 columns or is there anything that offers 80?

How is the best way to get downloaded software from the net to an Atari formatted floppy?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Now that I will have the 850 interface, will a regular 9 to 25 pin serial cable work between the wifi modem and the 850? or do I need a

special cable?

Can anyone recommend the best terminal software for the old 8 bits? Is it all strictly 40 columns or is there anything that offers 80?

How is the best way to get downloaded software from the net to an Atari formatted floppy?

For a modem you need to use port 1 but the 850 pins are a bit different. Here is an example for a null-modem cable. The info can be used to build a regular cable:

http://atari.fox-1.nl/atari-400-800-xl-xe/400-800-xl-xe-tools/null-modem-cable-wiring/

Bobterm is a great ASCII/ATASCII/VT52 40 columns terminal. It does 80 columns too but only on the external XEP80 interface.

http://atari.fox-1.nl/atari-400-800-xl-xe/400-800-xl-xe-tools/bobterm-1-21/

IceTerm is an 80 columns one and supports ANSI. Most versions require 128KB but there's a 64KB version too.

Easiest way to transfer software from/to PC/Mac is with a SIO2PC device. These can be bought cheap or you can build them yourself. USB and RS232 versions exists.

Another way is to do it with a null-modem cable between the PC and 850 and use a terminal for the transfer.

I

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...