Photo

My Dad and the TI-99/4A Home Computer

19 replies to this topic

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 12,798 posts

Posted Tue May 8, 2018 6:15 PM

When I was a kid, my Dad and I had nothing in common.  It was not until I became an adult did we finally have something in common in which to bond with... the TI-99/4A Home Computer.  The TI gave us something to talk about, hardware wants, software wants, computer desk design and even programming, (yes I can program somewhat, but only in BASIC).  

With our computers we communicated over the BBS, got together and delved into other stuff.  Over the years, it was flying and Amateur Radio among  other things, but if it were not for the TI, I would never have gotten to really know my Dad.  

Today my Dad passed away at 86 years and a month to the day.  I wish I could have shared the resurgence of the TI with him, we both would have enjoyed that time together.

Rest in peace Dad, I'll miss you.

#2 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,173 posts

Posted Tue May 8, 2018 6:19 PM

So sorry to hear Omega, and my condolences.

#3 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,797 posts

Posted Tue May 8, 2018 7:48 PM

Sorry to hear that, bud. Sending prayers for your family.

#4 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,780 posts

Posted Tue May 8, 2018 8:17 PM

My condolences--every minute of time counts when we are alive, as we never know when our time will be up. The memories of those good times are what helps us keep pressing on too--so make lots of good memories with those you love. They will really appreciate it when you're gone. I am really glad you were able to find something good in common with your dad while he was still with us, Omega. Not all of us get that opportunity. . .

#5 HOME AUTOMATION OFFLINE  

HOME AUTOMATION

Star Raider

• 93 posts

Posted Tue May 8, 2018 9:55 PM

I'm afraid the story about the TI-99/4A Home Computer, my dad(deceased) and myself contrasts yours somewhat.

I wish it had been otherwise...

...relish the hearty moments

Maybe that's what realy counts.

In his final year my father made a list of mostly two word expressions we believe he identified with, one of which was,
"BE HEARTY!"

Be Hearty Omega!

Alex.

#6 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,418 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Tue May 8, 2018 11:43 PM

My thoughts and condolences go out to you and your family my friend.

It is good that the TI brought you and your Dad close together and the memories you have of that time are priceless and tell your memories and stories to your family and friends.  I know doing that myself has helped me with the loss of my parents and my brother.  Remember everything, all the good times will always outweigh others.

#7 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,780 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 5:11 AM

i'm always never really sure what to say that accurately conveys what i feel i want to say- my condolences to you and your family.

There's a passage from Fellowship of the Ring, book 2, chapter 3 that I really like:

"I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
in autumns that there were,
with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair.

I sit beside the fire and think
of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring
that I shall ever see.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring
there is a different green.

I sit beside the fire and think
of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know.

But all the while I sit and think
of times there were before,
I listen for returning feet
and voices at the door."

#8 ti99iuc OFFLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,514 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 5:54 AM

Hello Omega,

I am very Sad to read your message, feel condolences to you and your family.

#9 Count9929A OFFLINE  

Count9929A

Star Raider

• 73 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 6:02 AM

My condolences to you and your family, Omega.

May your dad rest in Peace

#10 RickyDean ONLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 951 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 6:10 AM

Sorry for your loss, I can feel for the lack of connection. My Dad passed last year, and I was there for his passing, but did not go to the funeral, as he did not leave behind many good memories for us. He did a lot of bad things in life, and in the 90's did not agree with my commitment to learning about the TI or any computers, for that matter, until he needed someone to learn AutoCad to design for his machine shop( sorry will stop ranting). If you had a good time with your Dad in the end, then that helps in these days. God Bless you and your family.

#11 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,514 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 6:51 AM

My most sincere condolences to you Omega. So sorry to hear about your loss. Glad you have fond memories to share.

#12 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• 645 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 7:17 AM

My condolences Omega.  May your father rest in peace.

Beery

#13 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,798 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 7:37 AM

Hey guys, thank you so much for all your kind words of support.  Even when you know it's coming, it hits harder after the fact. 

#14 Arnuphis ONLINE  

Arnuphis

Moonsweeper

• 345 posts
  • Loading...Please Wait

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 7:42 AM

My deepest sympathies for your loss. I'm glad you have the cherished memories of your TI bond.

#15 kl99 OFFLINE  

kl99

Dragonstomper

• 844 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 7:59 AM

I feel sorry for your loss.

#16 Lee Stewart ONLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,754 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 8:21 AM

My condolences, Kevan.  The death of someone you love is never easy.

I lost my dad at 73 in 1989.  A handful of years before, I had set him up with a TI/99-4A, PEB, 2 diskette drives, a printer and TI Writer so he could publish a bulletin for the small church he pastored.  I did not get to work with him very closely because he was 185 miles away.  When he did have difficulty, I could sometimes help over the phone, but it was difficult looking over his shoulder that way.  He was pretty resourceful, but it was new technology to him.  I do miss him an awful lot!

...lee

#17 iKarith OFFLINE  

iKarith

Moonsweeper

• 351 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 5:08 AM

Omega, I'm so sorry that I only just learned of your sad news.  I am sure your father would have loved to see what's been happening to this old computer in recent years, and I'm sure that he must see now how much you cherish your memories of getting to know him through this quirky little black and silver box.  I didn't have the chance to get to know my father, but even at my relatively young age, I know all too personally what it's like to be looking at the end of your life and asking yourself if you have any regrets.  Never really knowing your son must surely be such a regret for any man worthy of being called a man, much less a father.  I'm sure he cherishes that time together as much as you do, if not more so.

May his spirit find easy rest and be always there to watch over you and those you love until you meet again in a better world.

#18 cbmeeks OFFLINE  

cbmeeks

Moonsweeper

• 311 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 6:53 AM

Sorry for your loss.

#19 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,303 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 AM

Sorry for just seeing this. My deepest condolences to you. May he rest in peace.

#20 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,798 posts

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2018 10:57 PM

Thanks to AirShack, I was able to relive some of the feelings of going over to my Dad's on those weekends oh so long ago.  I usually took him copies of my latest software acquisitions and to 'kick butt' in Parsec.  This was my "PPB", or pre P-Box phase.

The first non-cartridge program I ever remember buying was B1-Bomber.  It was kinda fun to relive the TI 'Program Recorder' and all the memories of using it.  Anyway, it's a short video, but I needed it make it.  I hope you enjoy it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users