IGNORED

My Dad and the TI-99/4A Home Computer

Omega-TI

When I was a kid, my Dad and I had nothing in common. It was not until I became an adult did we finally have something in common in which to bond with... the TI-99/4A Home Computer. The TI gave us something to talk about, hardware wants, software wants, computer desk design and even programming, (yes I can program somewhat, but only in BASIC).

With our computers we communicated over the BBS, got together and delved into other stuff. Over the years, it was flying and Amateur Radio among other things, but if it were not for the TI, I would never have gotten to really know my Dad.

Today my Dad passed away at 86 years and a month to the day. I wish I could have shared the resurgence of the TI with him, we both would have enjoyed that time together.

Rest in peace Dad, I'll miss you.

• Like 18

My condolences--every minute of time counts when we are alive, as we never know when our time will be up. The memories of those good times are what helps us keep pressing on too--so make lots of good memories with those you love. They will really appreciate it when you're gone. I am really glad you were able to find something good in common with your dad while he was still with us, Omega. Not all of us get that opportunity. . .

• Like 2

I'm afraid the story about the TI-99/4A Home Computer, my dad(deceased) and myself contrasts yours somewhat.

I wish it had been otherwise...

...relish the hearty moments

Maybe that's what realy counts.

In his final year my father made a list of mostly two word expressions we believe he identified with, one of which was,
"BE HEARTY!"

Be Hearty Omega!

Alex.

• Like 1

My thoughts and condolences go out to you and your family my friend.

It is good that the TI brought you and your Dad close together and the memories you have of that time are priceless and tell your memories and stories to your family and friends. I know doing that myself has helped me with the loss of my parents and my brother. Remember everything, all the good times will always outweigh others.

• Like 1

i'm always never really sure what to say that accurately conveys what i feel i want to say- my condolences to you and your family.

There's a passage from Fellowship of the Ring, book 2, chapter 3 that I really like:

"I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
in autumns that there were,
with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair.

I sit beside the fire and think
of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring
that I shall ever see.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring
there is a different green.

I sit beside the fire and think
of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know.

But all the while I sit and think
of times there were before,
I listen for returning feet
and voices at the door."

• Like 2

Sorry for your loss, I can feel for the lack of connection. My Dad passed last year, and I was there for his passing, but did not go to the funeral, as he did not leave behind many good memories for us. He did a lot of bad things in life, and in the 90's did not agree with my commitment to learning about the TI or any computers, for that matter, until he needed someone to learn AutoCad to design for his machine shop( sorry will stop ranting). If you had a good time with your Dad in the end, then that helps in these days. God Bless you and your family.

• Like 1

My condolences, Kevan. The death of someone you love is never easy.

I lost my dad at 73 in 1989. A handful of years before, I had set him up with a TI/99-4A, PEB, 2 diskette drives, a printer and TI Writer so he could publish a bulletin for the small church he pastored. I did not get to work with him very closely because he was 185 miles away. When he did have difficulty, I could sometimes help over the phone, but it was difficult looking over his shoulder that way. He was pretty resourceful, but it was new technology to him. I do miss him an awful lot!

...lee

• Like 1

Omega, I'm so sorry that I only just learned of your sad news. I am sure your father would have loved to see what's been happening to this old computer in recent years, and I'm sure that he must see now how much you cherish your memories of getting to know him through this quirky little black and silver box. I didn't have the chance to get to know my father, but even at my relatively young age, I know all too personally what it's like to be looking at the end of your life and asking yourself if you have any regrets. Never really knowing your son must surely be such a regret for any man worthy of being called a man, much less a father. I'm sure he cherishes that time together as much as you do, if not more so.

May his spirit find easy rest and be always there to watch over you and those you love until you meet again in a better world.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to AirShack, I was able to relive some of the feelings of going over to my Dad's on those weekends oh so long ago. I usually took him copies of my latest software acquisitions and to 'kick butt' in Parsec. This was my "PPB", or pre P-Box phase.

The first non-cartridge program I ever remember buying was B1-Bomber. It was kinda fun to relive the TI 'Program Recorder' and all the memories of using it. Anyway, it's a short video, but I needed it make it. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRyHO1qT0M&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1