IGNORED

CHI Friday - Companion gathering to Chicago TI World Faire

OLD CS1

Friday is still mostly unorganized, but the idea for at least one programming clinic has been bandied about and if it solidifies there will be a formal announcement.

Would be great to see other "clinic" sessions on Friday, as well. We have plenty of room for it and having them available might help draw more attendees. Even something like SMD soldering or using PCB layout programs (KiCad, etc.) as, while not inherently TI, are skills from which some of us could benefit. In terms of programming, live follow-along demonstrations of things like using cross-assembly programming tool-chains for the TI (assembly, C, etc.) I have a few loaner laptops I rent to customers I could make available for such use.

Friday would be a great day for "do and learn." Given the amount of time available, someone could do minor repairs for people, too.

I am planning to make large poster boards for the event and any sessions will be prominently displayed.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to bump this back up to remind everyone of our plans. Everything is arranged with the hotel and I am starting to work on the display board -- sadly, they do not have a digital board so it will be one of the cheesy easels with a foam board.

I would like to encourage anyone who is interesting in doing a presentation or clinic to get in touch and we can plan things if there is something you need, like laptops, screens, etc.

Otherwise, we are looking forward to people just showing up and doing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not even a beta?

Sorry no presently.

For a week I get GROM ERROR loading a GRAM Object file in Classic99.

Last time it took me weeks to track down a CONTROL CHARACTER hidden in the TEXT FILES.

Finished REA 2018 but changes forced problems in GROM 3 (>6000 to >7FFF) and looking for the error source.

After that I need to make the demos and videos then work on the documentation with all the changes.

So to sum up yea I am way off for even Beta release. I might even have to go for RXB 2019 instead.

(Not to mention working on F18 support too.)

I will be driving down to Chicago (from Canada) on the Thursday and was wondering about the Friday event. I am willing to contribute for the conference room (on the PayPal pool) but I am not clear on which hotel it will be held in. Can someone please state clearly the Hotel name and address, plus the conference room name and the times the get together will take place.

I won't be staying at the hotel but as I will have my car with me, I'll be able to get there with little inconvenience.

I do want to attend the pre-Faire pub meal on Friday evening and hope this meal will be taken into account for the Friday event.

I do not have anything to contribute to the proceedings but am always interesting in learning something new...

Edited by 9T9er
  • Like 1

I will be driving down to Chicago (from Canada) on the Thursday and was wondering about the Friday event. I am willing to contribute for the conference room (on the PayPal pool) but I am not clear on which hotel it will be held in. Can someone please state clearly the Hotel name and address, plus the conference room name and the times the get together will take place.

I won't be staying at the hotel but as I will have my car with me, I'll be able to get there with little inconvenience.

I do want to attend the pre-Faire pub meal on Friday evening and hope this meal will be taken into account for the Friday event.

I do not have anything to contribute to the proceedings but am always interesting in learning something new...

Good point. The booking link has the hotel details but since you will not be booking:

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

1818 Maple Avenue, Evanston, Illinois, 60201, USA +1-847-475-6400

The meeting room is listed as "Salon C" and we have the room from 8am until 11pm Friday, November 9. Regarding the Friday pub meet, the event as of now is free-flow so attendees will be able to come and go pretty much at leisure.

The PayPal contribution pool can be found here: https://locu.li/CHIFriday

I completely forgot about the group page Hilton offers us. I will work on that over the next week. Look forward to having you there and we definitely appreciate any contribution to the pool.

• Like 1

Good point. The booking link has the hotel details but since you will not be booking:

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

1818 Maple Avenue, Evanston, Illinois, 60201, USA +1-847-475-6400

The meeting room is listed as "Salon C" and we have the room from 8am until 11pm Friday, November 9. Regarding the Friday pub meet, the event as of now is free-flow so attendees will be able to come and go pretty much at leisure.

The PayPal contribution pool can be found here: https://locu.li/CHIFriday

I completely forgot about the group page Hilton offers us. I will work on that over the next week. Look forward to having you there and we definitely appreciate any contribution to the pool.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

See you at CTI Friday.

Steve

I'm considering whether I can attend. If I make it there, I would like to share my hardware + FORTH project on Friday.

I have only been to the Saturday Faire once in 2012 to show Bubble Plane. Also one rainy Friday night at the Legion where I met Berry Harmsen.

Bubble plane? I don't remember that game...

I booked today at the Hilton Garden Inn link.

Arriving Thursday, leaving Sunday (I'll actually stay in Chicago Sunday night, visiting UofC.)

I would like to give a workshop Friday on FORTI-2, building hardware on the side port, interfacing PMODs to the 4A with low level access in FORTH.

We will see all the digital signals back and forth on the side port, on the PMODs, and maybe create something new.

I will travel with just enough hardware (4A/F18A, laptop, sidecar FORTI-2 proto, 32k, nanoPEB, logic analyzer). Leaving soldering gear home.

A FORTI music demo would be appropriate for the Saturday Faire.

-Erik

• Like 5

Confirmed I can't make it this year either... they moved me from one big task right onto another, and I just don't have the vacation days to force it. I hope you guys will stream though, cause I want to at least check in. ;)

Too bad... They do drive you hard, don't they...

Confirmed I can't make it this year either... they moved me from one big task right onto another, and I just don't have the vacation days to force it. I hope you guys will stream though, cause I want to at least check in. ;)

Awwww, man! That sucks. Hope to see you next year.

I have not set any provisions for streaming for Friday.

Will there be access to a PEB with 32K and RS232 on site?

Something that large I will have to rely on people close by or driving to bring.

So far I will be packing a couple of laptops and a set of desktop speakers. Will will need a couple of VGA monitors if anyone can bring them. I will be able to bring a 15" VGA as well as my small 4" and 5" LCDs with composite input, and a 7" with HDMI/VGA/Composite.