Photo

Jumpman Junior Super Game Prototype Cartridge?

88 replies to this topic

#26 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 26,896 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 PM

Not a prototype.  A real Coleco prototype would have 2-4 EPROMs in it not just one. That looks more like a homemade copy.  Then again I'm not a Colecovision prototype expert so I could be wrong.

#27 ColecoGamer OFFLINE  

ColecoGamer

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 444 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 2:22 PM

Not a prototype.  A real Coleco prototype would have 2-4 EPROMs in it not just one. That looks more like a homemade copy.  Then again I'm not a Colecovision prototype expert so I could be wrong.

I appreciate the feedback. The work on the board looks real sloppy too. I’m not an expert on these things, though.

#28 rodge2001 OFFLINE  

rodge2001

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 PM

I was looking at this item for past few days but was hesitant to purchase.  I even just yesterday posted my own comment under Auction Watch regarding this very same thing...

From my research I've found nothing indicating any kind of Jumpman Junior "Super Game" for ColecoVision.  I know that the Junior was added to distinguish it from the original Jumpman so maybe that's what was meant by whomever wrote the label; the ColecoVision version might as well be considered superior to the others. 

The original Jumpman has different levels than Jumpman Junior on ColecoVision and Jumpman Jr. on Commodore 64.  I think a ColecoVision version of Jumpman with its different levels would be awesome.  Has anyone considered making a hacked Jumpman Junior to be like Jumpman?  

Jumpman Junior is one my favorite ColecoVision games and one of the best on the system in my opinion despite being rather difficult; I can rarely get past level 4. 

I've bought from seller before and he's upfront about what they are which are all from what I can tell homemade copies of mostly homebrew type ROMs but a few it seems are bootlegged official releases.  I wouldn't take it out on the seller who it seems only acquired the lot from the person who actually made these which prior to AtariMax SD carts and such may have been the only way to play these on original hardware as opposed to PC emulation.  Of course official releases should have been sought in place of pirating but prior to the internet, eBay, etc. I wouldn't even know where anyone would have found official releases after stores stopped selling them. 

I wish it was something else; like I said, I'd love to see a Jumpman Junior Part 2 but with the levels used in Jumpman original and possibly taming the difficulty a bit.  I think having two speed options would do the trick: one speed for player movement but a separate speed option affecting the moving hazards. 

Edited by rodge2001, Thu May 10, 2018 2:49 PM.

#29 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,545 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 3:11 PM

Are you able to dump the ROM from the cart?  If so, I can do a detailed bit by bit comparison against the clean ROM I dumped for the CV ROM Update Project.

Edited by Ikrananka, Thu May 10, 2018 3:13 PM.

#30 ColecoGamer OFFLINE  

ColecoGamer

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 444 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 3:26 PM

Here are pictures of the game running on my stock Coleco. Some things to note:

1. The game title reads JBulman Junior

2. Part of the game selection screen is written in French.

F4781F21-878E-410F-A27F-1FE8C7690C74.jpeg

CE63A926-A22B-4ECD-BE1D-159FE843D086.jpeg

79FE9AD7-7A4C-4BF7-8AB0-0408B37CF68E.jpeg

#31 ten-four OFFLINE  

ten-four

Dragonstomper

• 899 posts
  • Here i am... again!

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 3:27 PM

I think this Jumpman Junior game is just a normal Jumpan Junior game for ColecoVision, and "Super Game" is equal to "Great Game".

It is just a label with text a (any) person can make money of.

EDIT: Right! it was a "French/English" version from our Daniel Bienvenu.

Edited by ten-four, Thu May 10, 2018 3:30 PM.

#32 youki OFFLINE  

youki

River Patroller

• 2,310 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 3:31 PM

Did you notice that the screen displays  ©1997 Daniel Bienvenu.

You should ask him directly  (newcoleco here on atariage) to know what it is exactly  a hack or an homebrew or else... :)

#33 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,545 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 3:36 PM

This is a known hack by Daniel Bienvenu.  So certainly not a "Super Game" and certainly not a prototype.  Just a homebrew hack.

Edited by Ikrananka, Thu May 10, 2018 3:37 PM.

#34 rodge2001 OFFLINE  

rodge2001

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 4:43 PM

I'd say it's still a decent score for only $30 plus shipping and pretty neat to have a unique hack on a stand-alone cartridge.  Similar but still different from the official Jumpman Junior although it's already out there and playable on PC or AtariMax SD cart. 

#35 ColecoGamer OFFLINE  

ColecoGamer

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 444 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 5:08 PM

Are you able to dump the ROM from the cart?  If so, I can do a detailed bit by bit comparison against the clean ROM I dumped for the CV ROM Update Project.

I don’t have the equipment to dump the rom, but I’d be willing to send it to someone who can.

#36 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,545 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 5:24 PM

I don’t have the equipment to dump the rom, but I’d be willing to send it to someone who can.

To be honest, it's likely not worth it.  The ROM for this hack is already in the public domain (attached).

Attached Files

Edited by Ikrananka, Thu May 10, 2018 5:25 PM.

#37 ColecoGamer OFFLINE  

ColecoGamer

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 444 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 6:06 PM

Did you notice that the screen displays  ©1997 Daniel Bienvenu.

You should ask him directly  (newcoleco here on atariage) to know what it is exactly  a hack or an homebrew or else... :)

Thank you for the suggestion.

I just sent a PM to NewColeco containing a link to this discussion.

#38 newcoleco OFFLINE  

newcoleco

Stargunner

• 1,310 posts
  • Always Tired

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 6:46 PM

I haven’t tested the cartridge yet. I plan on doing that a bit later in the evening.

https://web.archive....vend/colem.html

Seeing these screenshots put me back in time. It's just slightly different graphics, the game is exactly the same and the ROM dump of Jumpman Junior made during that time and made available I believe through an FTP access from the same server as the website ColEm by Marat was hosted.

I can give you the context of why BULMAN if you insist, I've told ColecoGamer already.

And no, I've not done any cartridges with any of my hacks. I've never prohibited anyone to do it; I can't legally force anyone not to do it anyway. I share my stuff freely for you guys to enjoy, I'm sorry some people decide to abuse and get money from you by saying "rare prototype".

Edited by newcoleco, Thu May 10, 2018 6:52 PM.

#39 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• 1,844 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 6:57 PM

I can give you the context of why BULMAN if you insist, I've told ColecoGamer already.

Yes, please!  :) 

#40 ColecoGamer OFFLINE  

ColecoGamer

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 444 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 7:02 PM

https://web.archive....vend/colem.html

Seeing these screenshots put me back in time. It's just slightly different graphics, the game is exactly the same and the ROM dump of Jumpman Junior made during that time and made available I believe through an FTP access from the same server as the website ColEm by Marat was hosted.

And no, I've not done any cartridges with any of my hacks. I've never prohibited anyone to do it; I can't legally force anyone not to do it anyway. I share my stuff freely for you guys to enjoy, I'm sorry some people decide to abuse and get money from you by saying "rare prototype".

Wow. First, thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread, NewColeco. It really sickens me to know that someone is downloading your work and selling it on eBay to make a profit. I was going to leave well enough alone in regards to the eBay seller I bought the cartridge from, but after reading your response? Im inclined to file a dispute and leave negative feedback. This is bullshit. And to make matters worse, the seller in question has more of your games on eBay with prototype in their titles.

#41 ColecoGamer OFFLINE  

ColecoGamer

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 444 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 7:07 PM

The real question now is how do I explain this to eBays dispute team....

Edited by ColecoGamer, Thu May 10, 2018 7:07 PM.

#42 Bmack36 OFFLINE  

Bmack36

Moonsweeper

• 374 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 7:11 PM

That is easy. The listing says jumpman jr. The game is JBULMAN Jr. The listing makes no mention of it being a hack. Just make sure to send the above screenshot showing the title menu. Also note the condition as being very good which should include manual and box. You might have to talk to the seller first to try and resolve the issue first before going to ebay though.

#43 ColecoGamer OFFLINE  

ColecoGamer

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 444 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 7:40 PM

I just filed a ‘Item not as described’ dispute against the seller. Since the seller refuses returns, I have to wait until May15th to esculate the case to eBay’s dispute team.

I appreciate the help that everyone has provided on this topic.
  • TPR likes this

#44 newcoleco OFFLINE  

newcoleco

Stargunner

• 1,310 posts
  • Always Tired

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 7:41 PM

Yes, please!  icon_smile.gif

Mister Edward Bulman was a computer scientist who worked at Laval University, in Quebec city. Before my time, he was part of the effort to implement de computer system for the scientific library using a system of punch cards, that he invented, in a time computers were the size of a room with blinking light bulbs. When I was a student, I didn't know Mister Bulman yet, but I sure noticed all the punch cards in every book in the science library. Then my friends told me about Mister Bulman because they had his course with topics like how information is encoded, different data structures, and how even it's transmitted with the different layers and protocols involved. Because he talked every year about his punch cards system, every student taking his course knew the story and somehow became part of students discussions. I never had his course, but I sure heard about him, so it became a character for me, and that triggered my imagination. So, I started to put his name in various things I was doing back then including a ROM hack of Jumpman Junior for the ColecoVision game system: replacing JUMPMAN by JBULMAN, put my name in the copyrights to clearly show it's a fake, and changed slightly the graphics but none of the levels.

#45 ColecoGamer OFFLINE  

ColecoGamer

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 444 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 7:58 PM

Wow! Listen to this: the seller accepted the return! He didnt say a word in response either.

4C6CE3B8-6AE7-422E-B848-F85855DF2F9C.jpeg

Edited by ColecoGamer, Thu May 10, 2018 8:06 PM.

#46 newcoleco OFFLINE  

newcoleco

Stargunner

• 1,310 posts
  • Always Tired

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 8:19 PM

Wow! Listen to this: the seller accepted the return! He didn’t say a word in response either.

I love a happy ending.

It's not the first time we have seen something like this on eBay. And this one reason why many homebrewers prefer to not release their stuff as public domain, or release only a demo.

You know me, I'm a rare exception because I do release my stuff including music, games, source codes, documents, tools, and more. I'm sorry but I can't control anything once it's released, and I naively think it's a good thing, not thinking that one day it's gonna be used to exploit others. I don't know how many people got exploited by stuff I've released in the public domain, and maybe, just maybe, this seller simply owned these carts he got from someone else, who knows.

Anyway, sorry again and I hope to hear better news next time regarding my stuff. 8-)

Edited by newcoleco, Thu May 10, 2018 8:23 PM.

#47 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• 3,333 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 PM

I love a happy ending.

Except he's selling stolen and/or freely available games, where someone soldered an EPROM into a cheap overstock Activision board and shell, which is worth about $5 maximum, added a 5 cent label, and says they're potentially valuable and/or prototypes, and trying to sell them for $50 US.

#48 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,906 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 9:19 PM

Wow! Listen to this: the seller accepted the return! He didnt say a word in response either.

attachicon.gif4C6CE3B8-6AE7-422E-B848-F85855DF2F9C.jpeg

Because he is a member on here and doesn't want his other auctions to be affected. No, I am not sure who it is but the city and state sound very familiar and I'd have to look back a ways at USPS shipping receipts.

Anyway, all kinds of signs that this was a nothing burger from the beginning. The Cart PCB is even a homebrew item that I seem to recall was made by Sean Kelley... see the VGC text on the PCB.

#49 newcoleco OFFLINE  

newcoleco

Stargunner

• 1,310 posts
  • Always Tired

Posted Fri May 11, 2018 5:08 AM

It really sickens me to know that someone is downloading your work and selling it on eBay to make a profit. 

Not only my work is affected by this, but I sure released more ROM files than others that can be used like that; no need for bank switching complex PCBs, I'm surprised to not see yet cartridges of the hacks I've made to play Slither and Destructor with the joystick and the mention rare prototypes. Anyway, in the case of this seller and the link to eBay you provided, I do recognize many of the hacks and codes I've made approximately 20 years... all this time passed already, I'm a dinosaur. In the none hacks section, I see Nim (a very basic mathematical game) and Happy Halloween (my first version of Jeepers Creepers that I wasn't fully happy about and waited years to come back on the project and fix to my liking).

Except he's selling stolen and/or freely available games, where someone soldered an EPROM into a cheap overstock Activision board and shell, which is worth about $5 maximum, added a 5 cent label, and says they're potentially valuable and/or prototypes, and trying to sell them for $50 US.

I've seen worse, in the hundreds, and nothing much could be done except like now inform people of the fraudulent activity. I'm glad you guys had the good instinct to talk about it. 

I'm unhappy about all the trouble my stuff seems to cause, but what can I do? The big drama featuring some of my games on the Facebook fan page still haunt me today, and none of us could have predicted this mess. 

Because he is a member on here and doesn't want his other auctions to be affected. No, I am not sure who it is but the city and state sound very familiar and I'd have to look back a ways at USPS shipping receipts.

Anyway, all kinds of signs that this was a nothing burger from the beginning. The Cart PCB is even a homebrew item that I seem to recall was made by Sean Kelley... see the VGC text on the PCB.

I've not heard the name Sean Kelley for a long time, you guys know if he is ok? I've tried to send him an email but it seems my contact info is obsolete. You may be right about the origin of the PCB.

As I remember, the PCBs Sean made for me and some others were green, thick and the indentation not quite right, forcing to cut a little bit of plastic inside to fit in.

Recycling PCBs isn't hard to do, just replace the ROM chip with new data and voilà! I know John Dondzila was recycling PCBs like the one inside the Purple Dinosaur Massacre I've got from him, in an Activision cartridge and the PCB inside modified by adding a wire. * Warning * I am not accusing John Dondzila of any illegal activity, I just mention this as a fun fact.

Edited by newcoleco, Fri May 11, 2018 5:13 AM.

#50 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• 3,333 posts

Posted Fri May 11, 2018 5:37 AM

I'm unhappy about all the trouble my stuff seems to cause, but what can I do? The big drama featuring some of my games on the Facebook fan page still haunt me today, and none of us could have predicted this mess.

Just remember it's not your fault... it's the slimy Coleco guy, and one or two others trying to take advantage of people.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users