IGNORED

Jumpman Junior Super Game Prototype Cartridge?

ColecoGamer

I don't think you could call a cartridge with a handmade label with bad writing something that displays well, assuming the seller is using that phrase to describe the physical attributes of the cartridge.

My suspicion is that you're putting more thought into the phrasing than the original author. If one were to comb through all past listings from this seller for "collectibles", my gut tells me this is recycled wording that may at one time have been attached to something that did display well, but now has just become word salad attached to all such listings. Just a hunch.

(See, now I'm overthinking it, too.)

Edited by mumbai
  • Like 1

I think his phrasing is intentionally disingenuous, hoping that his buyers won't call him out on it. his phrase "displays well" can hardly be attributed to a handwritten label, IMO. I've listed things on EBAY that I have no knowledge about, but, as this auction shows, I clearly state as such. It's only proper etiquete

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263679784827?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Still no refund from the seller ( I even sent him a follow up message). I could be wrong, but it seems like he is going to wait until the last gun is fired before issuing a refund. eBay says I have to now wait until May 22nd before I can get them involved. If the seller really wants to receive a strike on his account from eBay for non-payment (which will happen, if I am forced to escalate the case on the designated due date), then so be it.

Edited by ColecoGamer

I finally received my refund from the seller, so this ordeal is finally over. I had to message the seller to receive it, though. Again, in a new message to me - he feigned ignorance about the authenticity of the carts he is selling, even though I have told him repeatedly that what he is selling are ‘fake’, pirated Coleco game cartridges.

Maybe someone else can reach out to this guy and rattle his cage a little? Despite being apologetic and polite towards me, I can’t help but wonder if he is deliberately feigning ignorance (and ignoring my warnings about those cartridges) just so he can continue selling them on eBay. I only came to this conclusion because he could easily take the info I gave him regarding those carts, and then Google it for future reference.

This was a lesson learned, that is for sure. And going forward - I will check here with the community (and read the Auction forum more regularly) before I purchase anything labeled a ‘prototype’ on eBay or elsewhere. I also hope my experience will serve as a lesson to those new to the hobby, who are looking to delve into rare/prototype cartridge collecting with no knowledge of what they’re doing. I got lucky this time; it could have been a lot worse than it was, and I am greatful to all who responded with their advice and opinions on the matter.

It just reenforces the choice I made by joining AA; it was the right thing to do.

One last thing: eBay would not allow me to leave a neutral or negative because the seller accepted my return, and issued a refund. Ridiculous.

It may feel that this is ridiculous to you in this specific case with this specific seller, but think about other sellers who have say a 30 day return policy and accept an item back within that time. Is it then fair that the buyer gives them negative feedback when they stayed completely within the rules?

• Like 1

It may feel that this is ridiculous to you in this specific case with this specific seller, but think about other sellers who have say a 30 day return policy and accept an item back within that time. Is it then fair that the buyer gives them negative feedback when they stayed completely within the rules?

Very true. I was looking to leave neutral feedback, but also noticed that the ability to leave one (or even a negative for that matter) were unavailable. I felt that despite everything, the seller deserved a neutral after he continued to feign ingnorance on what he was selling, after I explained to him more than once that what he had in his possession were pirated carts. He is still selling those other pirated carts on eBay (last I checked), so that tells me he doesnt really care either way.

Edited by ColecoGamer

Very true. I was looking to leave neutral feedback, but also noticed that the ability to leave one (or even a negative for that matter) were unavailable. I felt that despite everything, the seller deserved a neutral after he continued to feign ingnorance on what he was selling, after I explained to him more than once that what he had were pirated carts. Hes still still selling those other pirated carts, so that tells me he doesnt really care.

I agree, I do wish there was a way to warn buyers of unscrupulous sellers. The only action that I know you can take is to report each item listed to eBay as being a bootleg (or some such classification). However, these reports tend to result in zero action by eBay.

• Like 1

I agree, I do wish there was a way to warn buyers of unscrupulous sellers. The only action that I know you can take is to report each item listed to eBay as being a bootleg (or some such classification). However, these reports tend to result in zero action by eBay.

Just leave a "positive" but word it strongly as a neutral / negative. "Seller is unscupulous, feigns ignorance. Sells fake prototype games"

I think most people will figure it out and (hopefully) not bid on the future auctions of this terrible person.

Just leave a "positive" but word it strongly as a neutral / negative. "Seller is unscupulous, feigns ignorance. Sells fake prototype games"

Two problems with that. Firstly the seller may be able to get eBay to remove the feedback as it is not truly positive, and secondly the buyer leaving the negatively worded positive feedback may themselves get in trouble with eBay for not following feedback rules.

I think most people will figure it out and (hopefully) not bid on the future auctions of this terrible person.

The issue with this solution is, it still results in the feedback positive percent being unchanged. Most people will only scan for neg or neutral feedback, and gloss over the listed positives. EBay sucks in this regard, as there is no recourse for buyers to warn others, just as sellers have no way of warning other sellers about non-paying buyers.

Good news: I checked the seller’s items and he finally removed the offending, pirated Colecovision cartridges from eBay.

Here’s the interesting part, though: after giving me a song and dance about how he is clueless about retro gaming (and the Colecovision console in particular), I noticed that he turned around and put the following up for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLECOVISION-11-Rare-Game-Cartridge-Lot-MR-DOs-CASTLE-Sir-Lancelot-TOMARC-THE-/273191076712

I suggest avoiding this guy like the plague. There are too many red flags involving his selling ethics and how he conducts himself on eBay.

Mr. Do's Castle, Tomarc and Frogger Ii are indeed reproductions from the CBS Electronics, Telegames and eColeco collaboration. So their value is considerably less than the original releases.

Aside from that, see what I said about the seller in a previous post.

• Like 1

Mr. Do's Castle, Tomarc and Frogger Ii are indeed reproductions from the CBS Electronics, Telegames and eColeco collaboration. So their value is considerably less than the original releases.

Aside from that, see what I said about the seller in a previous post.

Mr. Do's Castle & Frogger II are definitely Telegames versions of Parker Brothers releases but Tomarc appears to be a custom printed label on a repurposed regular ColecoVision cartridge; at least I've never seen that label variant if it's not homemade.

Had Telegames released Tomarc it would be in a Telegames cartridge (slightly different on back and sides than ColecoVision cartridges) or Activision style cartridge with silver foil label and black writing similar to other Telegames released Xonox games.

• Like 1

NIM is one of my first CV projects, very simple mini-game. You can look it up, the ROM file is surely available everywhere. I've never made or tell anyone (as far as I know) to make cartridges of NIM.

So yeah... not a prototype, just a simple game I've coded way before the ColecoVision scene even started to be organized with forums and stuff.

At least my name is mentioned to make things easy to look up online and see what is this game.

Edited by newcoleco
  • Like 1

NIM is one of my first CV projects, very simple mini-game. You can look it up, the ROM file is surely available everywhere. I've never made or tell anyone (as far as I know) to make cartridges of NIM.

So yeah... not a prototype, just a simple game I've coded way before the ColecoVision scene even started to be organized with forums and stuff.

At least my name is mentioned to make things easy to look up online and see what is this game.

So its what we all suspected right along: hes burning those carts and ripping people off. Unbelievable. He was told multiple times that those carts were fake, pirated and valueless to collectors. Edited by ColecoGamer

So its what we all suspected right along: hes burning those carts and ripping people off. Unbelievable. He was told multiple times that those carts were fake, pirated and valueless to collectors.

Unless you run this game NIM or download the file from a compilation of CV games or simply Google it, you will never know the game was programmed by Daniel Bienvenu just by looking at the cartridge shown in this eBay auction. This observation discards any argument like " I'm just a reseller " to claim some kind of innocence, ignorance... it doesn't justify using words like RARE and PROTOTYPE which are clearly meant to exploit others. My opinion, seeing these auctions, I suggest adding this guy's username in a blacklist.

Unless you run this game NIM or download the file from a compilation of CV games or simply Google it, you will never know the game was programmed by Daniel Bienvenu just by looking at the cartridge shown in this eBay auction. This observation discards any argument like " I'm just a reseller " to claim some kind of innocence, ignorance... it doesn't justify using words like RARE and PROTOTYPE which are clearly meant to exploit others. My opinion, seeing these auctions, I suggest adding this guy's username in a blacklist.

Why not report the item to ebay as a copyright violation.

Unless you run this game NIM or download the file from a compilation of CV games or simply Google it, you will never know the game was programmed by Daniel Bienvenu just by looking at the cartridge shown in this eBay auction. This observation discards any argument like " I'm just a reseller " [...]

Yes, one can simply google it. "nim colecovision" generates a list where the top three results all mention your authorship in the title or summary. I don't see why it's beyond reason that a lazy reseller did just that without bothering to further verify the cartridge. Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity, yadda yadda.

Why not report the item to ebay as a copyright violation.

Because, as far as I know, it is not a violation of copyrights to make your own copies of a game released in the public domain for personal use. What is not right is calling it an official release or a prototype which is misleading and may constitute a fraud.

Because, as far as I know, it is not a violation of copyrights to make your own copies of a game released in the public domain for personal use. What is not right is calling it an official release or a prototype which is misleading and may constitute a fraud.

Have you declared it as "public domain" and given anyone the freedom to do with it as they wish. Just putting your file up for download doesn't make it public domain. In his description he says he doesn't know what it is, homebrew or prototype. If it truly is public domain than anyone has the right to commercially reproduce the game and sell it for profit.

I'm just about certain the seller isn't the one who made any of the handwritten carts. And I'd speculate they were not made recently but were made by a hobbyist prior to AtariMax type SD carts and with the sole intention of playing them on their actual console. The seller who acquired them after the fact would have to either throw them in the garbage or sell them accordingly. All of these seem to be available for download and I myself have put all of these same ROMs on my AtariMax cart but 20 years ago if I knew how to I probably would have made similar cartridges for myself.