IGNORED

Wi,wi,wi,wii! Wii U?

Video

Well, I was visiting a friend last week and his wife was getting rid of her wii u console, so I bought that from them.

It's a black one and has that redicimous tv controller with it and 8 games.

Super paper Mario

Epic Mickey

Press your luck 2010

Mario kart Wii

Alice in wonderland

Tangled

Super Mario 3d world

Super Mario bros 3

Mario 3d is a Wii u game, and Mario bros 3 is a digital game, I assume I can't play that on my own account.

Anyhow, I don't know anything about it other than it's got Wii backwards compatibility, so I got quiet a few other games I can play on it.

Can you factory reset the thing, or do I even need too? Can I just set up my own account or would it be better to reset it? I have super Mario collection on Wii so the only game I'd loose, I've already got.

Is there other accessories I should get for it? Can all the games play on that big tv controller, wii or Wii u?

What games are good? I like Mario type platformers, so I've got the big one I'd like to get, though I plan to pick up Mario maker at some point. I know nothing of the Disney games I got, but their usually good for a play through in my experience.

How's the online bit? Can you still play games or use any online features? I won't use it much, but would like to get super Mario world if I still can.

I know the system is now defunct, and I had no real plans to get one, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. Any info would be appreciated.

Regarding controllers, there's an official GameCube controller adapter if you have any of those lying around, and there's also a Pro Controller for the Wii U. It's *not* the same as the one for the Switch, although there are 3rd party adapters to use the Wii U Pro controller on the Switch. I don't think vice versa, though.

There are cheap knockoffs of the Pro Controller too if you don't want to sink too much money into the thing, but I don't have experience with them. I assume they're as good/bad as any cheap knockoff controllers from China. I'd personally spring for the real thing, or the GameCube adapter. All my knockoff Wii controllers have broken.

Some games do require the original control pad, but the Pro Controller and GameCube adapter were official accessories so plenty of games support them.

For Wii games, you need Wii controllers. (I think some games support GameCube controllers too, but Nintendo says not many.) The Wii U is backward compatible but in a weird way. It basically just acts like a Wii when you start the Wii "app". Totally different system. So it won't recognize Wii U controllers for Wii games; you need original Wii controllers and you need a Wii sensor bar too.

I'm not totally sure of your other questions; I got my Wii U late too but it's been a while now since I played it (and I haven't played it a ton, so no ingrained memory yet). Last I checked the "Miiverse" was still up and running, so at least some online functionality was working and probably still is.

I'm sure you can reset the system, and I would do so to get your own account hooked up.

Edited by spacecadet

Well, I've got some remotes, and one of the sticks, so I should be set. Oh, and the sensor bar.

The controller looks like it has a ds plug, is it the same charger to charge it? There's also the big port, I assume for a cradle, but that's missing (if they ever had one) I do have a ds charger, but want to make sure. If I find one, I may get a cradle. Eh if not, I'll be stuck in Wii mode till I get a proper charger.

I assume it can read up to a 32gb sd card, but will the Wii too? I'm sure I have smaller cards if I need one.

It can use an external USB 2.0 hard drive, too. I have a bunch of purchased games on an old 200GB drive on mine, I rarely use the optical disc drive at all.

There are manuals on Nintendo's support page.

I dunno if I'd reset it or not ...maybe leave it if you want to save $ and if you don't intend to buy new games? Personally I'd want to make it "my own," but then I bought a new one six years ago or whenever it was fairly new.

I'll have to order a charger online. Not any in stores. I'll probably get a cradle, maybe a battery to.

In the meantime I got a controller, those afterglow branded ones are shit (at least as my experience with Xbox versions) but should last till I get the official one in. I already ordered one and a cradle with a cord.

I need to take the system apart and suck the dust out of its vents. This thing is filthy, but I guess that happens when you got kids over regularly LOL.

I picked up yoshis wooly world, that's platformy I think. Still want Mario maker, but I'll have to get that online too.

You can also get USB cables to charge to Wii U Gamepad.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Data-Charging-Charger-Cable-Cord-for-Nintendo-WII-U-Gamepad-Controller/302192314566?epid=512373294&hash=item465c10c8c6:g:L6UAAOSw5cNYhE10

If you have some with Wii remotes and Classic Controllers there are many Wii U games that can use them, like Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Minecraft.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-White-Classic-Pro-JoyPad-GamePad-Game-Controller-for-Nintendo-Wii-Console-AU/170638863306?epid=593319898&hash=item27bade6bca:g:43oAAOSw-wJaDqhn

Avoid this controller.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nintendo-Wii-Wii-U-WIRELESS-Remote-Controller-Pro-SNES-GamePad-Joystick-Classic/273168692207?hash=item3f9a1f73ef:g:gQcAAOSwjqVZI74Z

It is so bad, it isn't even a Pro controller, it is Wiimote and Classic Controller stuffed inside a case. It has problems when you try to push more than one button. This is made by the same company who were going to do the Coleco Chameleon/Retro VGS controllers.

There are not as many games for the Wii U but there are some great quality ones. Mario 3D World is excellent.

The eShop, internet browser and Online play are still available but Miiverse has been shut down.

I'll probably stick to first party accessories since their still available (at least online) but nice the digital stuff still works. I'd like to get fzero 64 an some other stuff.

I ordered sonic world, hopefully I don't regret that, mid aughties I gave up on there being another good sonic game. Also ordered star fox, last one was 3ds star fox 64. I like the series. And while I have the first game on 360 I seem to have never played it, so I bought bayonetta also.

Edited by Video

Probably 95% of my Wii U gaming has been done with the Pro Controller. I highly recommend it. It feels extremely comfortable and the battery lasts forever. I have close to 200 hours in Breath of the Wild and it seemed like I rarely ever had to charge it.

Breath of the Wild was without a doubt my favorite Wii U game. Yoshi's Woolly World was a close second.

• Like 2

Yeah, apparently I can just set me as the primary user, so that's what I did, leaving my friend, and wires stuff on it. They can play it when they visit.

Mario is awesome! Through me for a loop when the first character you become is a cat. Really? A cat. This game is kind of super Mario world to Mario 64 which would be more like bros. Just got to the first castle, I'll probably get smoked LOL.

Sonic lost world reminds me a lot of super Mario galaxy in how it looks and plays. Much better than the previous sonic games I've played.

Haven't played the other games yet, the pro controller is a definite must. Nothing against the tablet controller, as a controller, but that battery life sucks. I may pick up a few more since Nintendo isn't scared of shared/split screen multiplayer like the other guys.

How do I get it to see sd cards? I put a 32gb card in and it doesn't see it. It says I can format usbt device, but it says that with no card and I didn't want to ax it's internal memory. Also, where's the internet? I mean I don't have to have it, but would like to set it up to get some dl stuff. I looked on Nintendo's site, and while pretty, it's not very informative.

Edit

Oh yeah, is bayonets linked in any way? Should I start with the first one or does it matter to story?

Edited by Video

Oh yeah, is bayonets linked in any way? Should I start with the first one or does it matter to story?

It's not totally necessary, but 2 is a continuation of the story of 1. They did try to make it standalone, especially because 1 was not even available on Wii U after that first-run pressing ran out, but I feel like there are certain things you'd find confusing (but could probably figure out eventually) about both the story and the gameplay if you started with 2 never having played 1. I never actually finished 1 and even just not finishing it means there are certain things in the story in 2 that I don't fully understand.

But I'm sure you can just read through a Wikipedia synopsis of 1 or something if you just want to start with 2. The gameplay stuff might be more difficult. There might be an in-game manual or something that I haven't seen, but I don't think they have the same tutorials and explanations about all the books and other stuff you collect, plus the alchemy, that exist in 1. At least I don't remember them in 2.

I could be wrong about this but there may be a size limitation to the SD card... I think that is generally used for when it is in Wii mode.

You can use a larger memory stick or plug a HD into the USB port... that gets used for anything Wii U related.

Also, you can hack the Wii side to install the home brew channel. I have never tried that as we still have our Wii around for that.

Controllers: The Pro controller is a thing of beauty. The best controller I've ever used and the battery life is insane (unlike the big one... You can get a bigger battery for that). If you want to play wii stuff, you'll need a Wii controller.

What games are good? I like Mario type platformers, so I've got the big one I'd like to get, though I plan to pick up Mario maker at some point. I know nothing of the Disney games I got, but their usually good for a play through in my experience.

Lots...

Affordable Space Adventures - Best played 2 player with one on the big pad controlling the ship's systems and the other on a pro piloting. Love that game and it's a platform exclusive.

Axiom Verge - It's Metroid.

Bayonetta & Beyonetta 2 - Batshit crazy fighty witch things.

Capt Toad Treasure Tracker - If you've got Mario 3d, it's the Toad mini game expanded to a full game. Really more fun than you'd expect.

Fast Racing Neo - Nintendo should have re-labelled that one F-Zero.

Zelda HD remasters - Totally worthy.

Lego City Undercover - GTA Lego.

Need for Speed Most Wanted U - Best version of the game on console.

Pikmin 3 - More Pikmin.

Shovel Knight - If you're liking the old 8-bit style games, this'll be right up your street.

Splatoon - Play through the intro with the horrible motion controls then switch it to sticks. Brilliant modern take on the shooter.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Tough to recommend. I bought the console to play it. Stunning for what it did long before BOTW. Really nuanced combat that takes an age to get your head around but is really cool when you master it. Can be a bit grindy. The original Wii game is better and is available on the store and can be played with the big controller if you get it that way.

Yoshi's Woolly World - Cute and easy pladformer. Really laid back and enjoyable.

Zombi U - Uses the controller well and can be picked up for buttons.

Edited by juansolo

Yeah, I love f zero and always wondered why nintendo abandoned it. It was one of my faves on 64, to bad we never got the disc drive, extra levels!

Maybe it's a "we already got a racer" thing, but it's a way different game than Mario kart.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I too just took over someone else's Wii U. I found it on Offer Up and talked him into $120 for it. It came in the box with 2 aftermarket WiiMotes and 3 games. It also has the charging stand for the gamepad. The games are mostly useless because they all need peripherals that I don't have: Just Dance 2015, Sing Party, and Lego Dimensions. I mostly wanted it as an upgrade on the Wii and I have plenty of Wii accessories already.

I'm not really sure what Wii U games I will even buy for the thing maybe just the first party stuff.

This guy left his account on here with the Nintendo ID, so I'm gonna leave it in place, but how do I delete the other users who are not linked to an ID?