IGNORED

My Atari journey

Horrorfreak82

Part 1

About a year ago i saw a craigslist post where someone wanted to trade his 7800 for a dreamcast. We made the trade. It was my first atari system and it came with two proline controllers, two slik stiks, two paddles and a handful of games. One of the slik stiks didnt work at all and both of the prolines were dead in certain directions and the paddles were super jittery. First i attacked the slik stik. This ended up being the hardest repair. Some wires had become disconected from the female 9 pin end of the cord and the entire thing was encased in hard plastic. I had to use a dremel and a sharp knife to get to the connectors. But i managed to fix it. Then i moved on to the prolines. The dome contacts inside were busted. I geri rigged my own contacts with beer cans and they worked for a while. Then i ordered new contacts from the net and repaired them the right way. As far as the paddles i just cleaned them out and they worked as good as new. I played with my for a few weeks on my hdtv and was loving it. I started buying one 7800 game a week trying to complete the set. I told myself i wouldnt spend over a certain amount for any one game. I realized that the best way to get good deals is to buy lots off of ebay. I habe around 70 games now and they were all purchased in lots on ebay all of which i paid between $.50 to $1.00 per game. Each lot had at least one game worth the value of the entire lot. Somewhere around this time i picked up two original 2600 joysticks from the flea marked for a quarter a piece. They were missing the rubber stick cover but i bought replacements online and they work amazingly well. I played my atari every day. Then the rf connector started messing up. I had to use a rubber band on it to get picture and sound. Continued in part 2...

Eventually it broke and i tried to fix it but failed. I bought a 2nd unit and when it came i was super jazzed that it still had the original protective plastic on the bezel. It was at this point that i started coming here and reading up on atari more regularly. I decided that since the rf was broken on my first system there would be no harm in rca modding it. I ordered a mod kit and modded it with the help of tutorials. At this point i had the bug and i figured i cant go this far and not score that perfect crt that will make the entire package shine. Then my hunt for the perfect free crt started. The first one i picked up was a 20 inch flat screen trinitron. It had convergence issues and i wasnt comfortable opening it up. My next was suppozed to be a w0 inch trinitron with a rounded screen. When i got there it was 32 inches. I took it and ended up dropping the heavy bastard in my driveway. When i plugged it in the colors were all messed up in the top left. My next free tv was a 20 inch g.e. the picture was terrible. But this weeked i finally hit the jackpot. I scored that 20 inch trinitron with the rounded screen and the picture is beautiful.

• Like 1

I made this topic because there is a ton of things ive learned in the last year. Collecting doesnt have fo be costly. The games i play the most are common and not expensive. Space invaders, solar fox, berzerk, pac man which i enjoy a great deal especially after learning the goal of the 2600 version is to eat all five ghost on one power pellet, all the activision games i own. I got all the kids hooked on kaboom. Thats the other thing i noticed. Atari is hella fun. The kids all love it. Everyone loves it when you break it out at. Party. It's just so easy to pick up and start playing. Another thing i have to say to new players is dont give up. Some games seem impossible but a few hours later your racking up high scores. Thus ends my love letter to my favorite system of all time

• Like 1