Photo

Retro Game Designer : Create your own games for Jaguar

33 replies to this topic

#26 Machine OFFLINE  

Machine

Moonsweeper

• 427 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 8:37 AM

I can not believe people are complaining about price....try and release something, anything and you will realize how much time and $ goes into putting a simple project together.(and this  doesn't seem simple)

I personally feel it's a VERY fair price point. If you can't  afford  $30-45, the problem isn't the price point.

#27 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

Quadrunner

• 5,187 posts
  • RAPTOR in LOCAL

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 8:40 AM

I can not believe people are complaining about price....try and release something, anything and you will realize how much time and $ goes into putting a simple project together.(and this  doesn't seem simple)

People generally don't have a clue about these things, which is why "plz mak Tom Braider and Quak kwality titles" is so lol-tastic.  The amount of design, coding, asset creation... it goes on and on.

#28 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,127 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 9:11 AM

People generally don't have a clue about these things, which is why "plz mak Tom Braider and Quak kwality titles" is so lol-tastic.  The amount of design, coding, asset creation... it goes on and on.

It is a shame that there isn't a mostly finished version of Tomb Raider floating about for the JagCD. Wasn't that one of the platforms it was supposed to be developed for? Ha, oddly that could have been one of the titles that could have saved it from being an almost completely useless add-on. But then again, that is a key thing, it was an add-on. One would think Atari would have learned from Sega.

But yeah, for something like Quake on the Jag, you would need to do a ton of optimizing the engine. It isn't like the Falcon where you can put in a 68060@100mhz to play it.

#29 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,753 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 9:24 AM

At the end of the day, people know deep down that the chances of anyone, be it an individual or team, attempting to write something on the Jaguar that is equivalent to the likes of MKIII, Quake, Magic Carpet, Tomb Raider, NFS, Road Rash or Resident Evil, just isn't going to happen.

I'm not knocking anyone's proof of concept exploration coding or discussion , far from it.

It's just a harsh reality that if these were going to happen, they would of been attempted when the Jaguar had the likes of I.D, Bullfrog, HVS etc coding for it.

Sure, a lot has been discovered about getting increased performance from the Jaguar in the years since Atari killed it off but as Cyrano J. and many others have pointed out, the sheer amount of work required to produce even a 16 bit era type title, let alone the likes of those named above, is immense.

Who would attempt such an undertaking for such a niche auidance?

#30 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,753 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 9:30 AM

It is a shame that there isn't a mostly finished version of Tomb Raider floating about for the JagCD. Wasn't that one of the platforms it was supposed to be developed for? Ha, oddly that could have been one of the titles that could have saved it from being an almost completely useless add-on. But then again, that is a key thing, it was an add-on. One would think Atari would have learned from Sega.
But yeah, for something like Quake on the Jag, you would need to do a ton of optimizing the engine. It isn't like the Falcon where you can put in a 68060@100mhz to play it.

Once more...

No..There was never a version of Tomb Raider or any other Core Design game of that era, started for the Jaguar, except for Soul Star.

Soul Star was the one and only title in development, team split up when Core Design sold, game never finished.

The Soul Star coders made clear it was the only Jaguar game being worked on and even that was based on the original Sega Mega CD version.

Jeremy Heath Smith made clear the Jaguar was only ever going to get Mega CD ports, not original titles, as Core could only afford to back a certain number of systems as they were a small company.

GA mean Magazine:Are you not even tempted by the Jaguar?

Jeremy Heath Smith:it’s a wonderful piece of kit.Some of our Mega CD stuff would translate onto it easily,but it also conflicts heavily with our current buisness strategy..

The P.R guy who gave the Press the mock up shots has made clear press knew they were fake and press ran them as Jag CD screens.

The damn myth of Tomb Raider starting life on Jaguar CD refuses to die, despite being put to bed by multiple sources from Core themselves. .

Edited by Lost Dragon, Sat May 19, 2018 9:38 AM.

#31 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,753 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 9:43 AM

Or alternative post:

Please put me on the Quake/Resident Evil/Swagman/Road Rash/Tomb Raider waiting lists.

I will happily buy my 3rd Atari Jaguar just to play them.

Can i also be on the 4K/HDMI TV out Jaguar mod waiting list as well?

My current TV lacks a Scart port and RF just ain't what i shake these days.

#32 Zerosquare OFFLINE  

Zerosquare

River Patroller

• 2,544 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 10:09 AM

Guys... do you really want to see a topic about an actual release devolve into "games that never existed on the Jaguar and never will, episode #8901"?

Seriously. Think about the kind of message you're sending to homebrew developers here.

#33 Final Theory OFFLINE  

Final Theory

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Yesterday, 1:41 AM

I would really like to see this kickstarter be successful, heck I have even started a few threads about it on other forums.... literally promoting it.

I'm just curious, NESmaker made their goal right away within days. So why is this kickstart not doing the same?

I know that there is a Playstation 1 homebrew scene and community. Are you telling me that literally nobody from over there is interested in this?

Did anyone post this over at SEGA-16? They have a big Genesis community, I'm sure some people over there would support this.

I don't mind doing the $30 for the single software version, but it comes with a splash screen. I really don't want that in my game... that's all.

#34 Swansea_Mariner OFFLINE  

Swansea_Mariner

Chopper Commander

• 227 posts

Posted Yesterday, 2:29 AM

Don't like what's on offer or the price point, don't buy it. Simples.

Looks excellent value for money to me.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users