IGNORED

Pickle Riddle Contest w/ Prize

easmith

I have finished my 2-player game PICKLE (final version attached) , which is a tribute to the early 2600 2K releases, and a game I played as a kid . I have programmed a riddle into the final cartridge version of the game ( It is not in the posted ROM).

MIchael Thomasson at Good Deal Games is producing an initial small run that will be available on his website soon.

http://gooddealgames.com/inventory/Atari%202600.html

The first person to solve the riddle ( does not actually require 2 players ) and provide a screen shot , solution , and correct explanation will receive a $250 cash prize ( I might also make a patch ) . Details will be included with the cartridge. I am a bit unsure how to anticipate the demand, but more can always be produced if needed. Any feedback to help gauge interest would be appreciated. I think this will be fun , and it will be at a financial loss to me so it is not a gimmick for making money . I like these kinds of puzzles and it was fun to create, and I don't plan on making any more games . Anyway I hope a few people want to take up the challenge. I will announce when it is available.

ES

1. The runner must be tagged with the ball while off base. Then the players switch roles

2. While throwing, if the joystick is pressed up or down, the top and bottom throwers, respectively , will return to their bases after throwing. Otherwise they will stay in place.

3. Throwers cannot cross the midway line.

4. Thrower cannot stall------ must throw every 12 seconds

5. Runner must steal a base every 60 seconds

6. First one to steal 11 bases win

7. runner's initial lead off toward destination base is limited while that base's thrower holds ball ( if P0 diff B)

8. Occasional Random throwing errors will happen.

9. Runner will occasionally "fall" ( color will turn black and will be immobilized).

10. "Pegs" option allows runner to be out if hit by ball , but runner can move laterally ( if P1 diff A)

post-63151-0-22458000-1526347655_thumb.jpg

Edited by easmith
  • Like 2

I also plan to give this away as a prize for solving the puzzle. It is a Sega Genesis with one controller and Mario Lemieux Hockey. Tested and works.

My 2600 was given away by my parents ( with no objection from me at the time) after I left home for college ( I was into NES at the time) .

But I recently acquired a VCS after starting to dabble in programming games. I got a CRT TV from an older co -worker, who had a bunch of her daughter's ( in her 30's now) stuff in the basement that they were going to throw away. This was one of the items. I never had a Genesis, so I have no interest in keeping it.

post-63151-0-46830700-1526596230_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have decided to open the puzzle contest up to everyone and post the ROM ( not the one in the post above). Winner will receive $250 , and the Sega Genesis will be a bonus if the winner had purchased a cart vs . used the ROM . The first person to submit screenshot of the easter egg screen, riddle solution and correct explanation will be winner. I will post the ROM containing the riddle in a couple of weeks, when the carts are ready ( 20 are being produced) , along with the manual. Stay tuned! .....

Edited by easmith

I have decided to open the puzzle contest up to everyone and post the ROM ( not the one in the post above). Winner will receive $250 , and the Sega Genesis will be a bonus if the winner had purchased a cart vs . used the ROM . The first person to submit screenshot of the easter egg screen, riddle solution and correct explanation will be winner. I will post the ROM containing the riddle in a couple of weeks, when the carts are ready ( 20 are being produced) , along with the manual. Stay tuned! .....

Posting a binary that can be easily disassembled to find the egg might not be the best idea. Just saying. Someone who just wants your $250 could tear down the bin and find the egg no problem.

Posting a binary that can be easily disassembled to find the egg might not be the best idea. Just saying. Someone who just wants your $250 could tear down the bin and find the egg no problem.

Thanks, I had thought about that . Unless there is a way to recreate the actual pre-compiled code .asm file ( I am not aware of this - please tell me if there is) , then I don't think it will be a problem . If someone can go through the Stella -type disassembled code with generic labels then I would say that is probably harder than just trying to figure it out. Even then, the solution is not actually contained in the ROM or in the code or game itself. Only the clues. Just want more than 20 people to be able to participate. I think it will be ok.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested in these types of things , the pickle contest is active . The version of the game with the puzzle is for sale by Michael Thomasson at

http://gooddealgames.com/inventory/Atari%202600.html

for $22.75. 20 copies have been made for now. The contest is in the same spirit of Swordquest if this gives any clue.

Again , I will make $0.00 for this , and am supplying the prizes myself ($200 for first solution and Sega Genesis console for runner up) , so this is just for fun :) .

If not solved after some time, I will probably post the ROM and open it up, but for now it will be limited to the cart.

• Like 1