IGNORED

radio shack lcd handhelds.

I had these two game for a long time since I got them for Christmas yeas ago. They needed new batteries and now I can't get the sound to work on Volcano. I can't figure which buttons to push to turn it on. Volcano would be prefect for everyone in Hawaii right now.

post-47844-0-46346700-1526410481_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I remember Volcano very well. It was given to me at some point in the late 80s after I wore out my beloved BurgerTime handheld, and at some point I got a Space Alien as well.  Volcano was a pretty simplistic handheld game, but it kept me entertained through some long car rides.  As for the sound issue ... I believe there was a way to disable the sound, but assuming that it hasn't been disabled, I would open it and check for broken wires or solder joints.  I've seen that kind of damage to the piezo buzzers in handhelds like these that have been dropped.

The sound on those is usually from a small piezo speaker (the same that in singing postal cards). They usually desolder very easily and are hard to resolder.

You can try to open it and check. Iwth a bit of luck, they use headphone speakers and can be resoldered.

Hopefully, it's a speaker failure... ;)

yeah. But all of those things alway make noise when you start a game. There might be some with a sound button, but I haven't seen any, personally, aside from the Solar Power Bandai games, which had a volume button to save power, since they are solar powered.

I figure it out when not playing the game push both left and right buttons to turn it , hour chime, and alarm on and off. I bought a three pack of batteries and one was dead out of the package. Anyone else have that happen to them?

Edited by bradhig1

Subtle hawaii reference gets the like. I've had plane and tank before and also highway too and they are fun little games. I found highway more interesting though, harder too as you had to navigate some tight obstacles on the road while also picking up and dropping off hitchhikers at the side of the road for more points.

I had the Tandy Zap game. A little character named "Superboy" (who looked more like Astro Boy) would run up and down the screen, flinging lightning bolts at swarms of the aliens from Aliens. Not terrific, but an amusing diversion during car rides.

• 1 year later...

Now that's what I was talking about 2 years ago, Highway.  It's really a challenging but fun and fairly well done game for the time and technology.  They came in a few different styles of shell molding and colors, mine was orange too but not the same frame.  I think they just ever so often refreshed the plastic to sell them again each year much like ATGames did for so long and still does on some stuff.