IGNORED

New TIPI Case has arrived!

jonecool

Yay, my new TIPI case arrived in the mail today! I'll be putting this bad-boy together this weekend. Thank you Thomas, it looks GREAT!

post-63846-0-70002300-1526585029.jpg post-63846-0-14221500-1526585083.jpg

When I bought my TIPI and 32k board, I screwed up and bought a "shorty" thinking it was "shorty" because it's a small short board. Not that the connector was too short to support any upcoming cases. So, Thomas also took care of me by sending a board with all components except the chips (at a great price). A simple chip-swap and I'll be able to use the new Case! Here's a pic. of that board...

post-63846-0-30309200-1526585281.jpg

post-63846-0-89491800-1526585148.jpg

• Like 2

I won't be able to set mine up until Fri/Sat, heading out tonight to my son's baseball tournament. Can't wait to get it all put together though!

Oh, I'm jealous! My board hopped over me from Portland to Seattle, so it should work it's way back to me by Saturday (if I'm lucky).

Nope... that's me re-using a bag from Mouser.ca!

Thanks for the reminder, I have to take some "instructional" photos of where the spacers go.

I'll do that tonight, and post them so you guys don't have to wonder how everything fits together.

Thomas

COREi64

• Like 2

Thanks for the reminder, I have to take some "instructional" photos of where the spacers go.

I'll do that tonight, and post them so you guys don't have to wonder how everything fits together.

Thanks! Mine could arrive as early as tomorrow, which means after work it'll be there ready to go!

As promised, here are the assembly photos. For illustrative purposes I printed the spacers in RED so you can more easily see where they go. The spacers you got with your case are black.

1. First you'll start with the TIPI/32K case open. Separate (if you haven't already done so), the TIPI from the 32K board. Place the spacers as shown in this photo.

post-45854-0-83285000-1526611433_thumb.jpg

2. Keep the board level (so the spacers don't fall out), connect the TIPI to the 32K board. Then place the last spacer on top of the board as shown in this next photo.

post-45854-0-78318000-1526611503_thumb.jpg

3. Now take the entire assembly, and place it into the case. When you're done, it should look like this.

post-45854-0-25556700-1526611564_thumb.jpg

4. Place the lid on top, flip it over and put in the four screws using the supplied tool. Here's a tip for doing that. When you drop the screws in the hole, and insert the key, with the key inserted in the head of the screw (you'll feel when it's in), spin the key COUNTER-CLOCKWISE with gentle pressure. You'll hear it click as it skips over the thread. When you hear the click, reverse the direction, and spin the key counter clockwise. Doing this will ensure that you never cross-thread the screw.

When you're done, it'll look like this:

post-45854-0-93671700-1526611756_thumb.jpgpost-45854-0-42977500-1526611776_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps you in your assembly for those have picked up one of my cases. And for those who didn't... Maybe you've been entertained a bit!

Thomas

COREi64

• Like 4

Thank you for the instructions! Got it all put together and it looks FANTASTIC!

Only problem I had (initially) is that I kept trying to remove the cover using a Philips head screw driver. I didn't open the small bag first, but just something you might want to add for dummies like me:

"Use the (included) allen wrench to remove/install the cover plate".

( Not that I always read the instructions before trying it either - LOL )

btw- the Chip replacement went flawlessly, tested the memory in XB (SIZE) and we're good all the way. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Only problem I had (initially) is that I kept trying to remove the cover using a Philips head screw driver. I didn't open the small bag first, but just something you might want to add for dummies like me:

"Use the (included) allen wrench to remove/install the cover plate".

Good idea! Here is an updated version with your suggestion... right where people cannot miss it. ;-)

TIPI-32K -- iCORE64 Case Assembly.pdf

• Like 2

Jonecool: Glad that it all worked out for you and that you're happy!

--- Ω ---: Great job with the PDF. Super work, I should get you to make PDF's for all my cases! :) Now you just have to get yours! Hopefully it arrives soon.

Thomas
COREi64
  • Like 1

/rave mode on

Damn, I'm happy! I got my case all hooked up. This thing is freaking PERFECT! How he got the tolerances so exact is beyond me. I'm starting to suspect he does this kind of thing professionally. It's well thought out and that little adjustable foot keeps pressure off the connector while keeping it at an exact 90 degree angle which just looks GOOD.

Those spacers inside are perfect too, so you'll NEVER again have to worry about the printed circuit boards when removing or installing your 32K/TIPI combo in the future. Those cards are well protected.

Omega Scale of approval: 0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11 ;-)

^

• Like 1

Now something has to be done about that crappy looking RPi case of mine!

Maybe something that sits on top of the speech synthesizer, houses the LCD display and routes all the wires out the back? Asking for too much? Probably! But if you don't ask, you'll never receive! :evil:

post-35324-0-51528600-1526766997.jpg

• Like 1

It may not be ideal for TiPi because it's not the greatest solution for using your GPIO header, but I'm a big fan of the FLIRC Raspberry Pi case. Mostly because unless you're overclocking (and even if you are), the case provides sufficient passive cooling to the Pi in most environments. You can cool it more, but you don't need to.

514B76sMz2L._SX569_.jpg

Flirc Case

• Like 1