New TIPI Case has arrived!

tip 3d print case shorty

16 replies to this topic

#1 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• 133 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 1:32 PM

Yay, my new TIPI case arrived in the mail today!  I'll be putting this bad-boy together this weekend.  Thank you Thomas, it looks GREAT!

Attached File  pic1.jpg   70.37KB   6 downloads  Attached File  pic2.jpg   47.69KB   4 downloads

When I bought my TIPI and 32k board, I screwed up and bought a "shorty" thinking it was "shorty" because it's a small short board.  Not that the connector was too short to support any upcoming cases.  So, Thomas also took care of me by sending a board with all components except the chips (at a great price).  A simple chip-swap and I'll be able to use the new Case!  Here's a pic. of that board...

Attached File  pic3.jpg   39.29KB   4 downloads

Attached Files

• Attached File  pic3.jpg   39.29KB   4 downloads

#2 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,141 posts
  • TI'ers - Have you done 'Chatti" today?

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 1:34 PM

Oh, I'm jealous!  My board hopped over me from Portland to Seattle, so it should work it's way back to me by Saturday (if I'm lucky).

Attached Files

#3 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 133 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 PM

I won't be able to set mine up until Fri/Sat, heading out tonight to my son's baseball tournament.  Can't wait to get it all put together though!

Oh, I'm jealous!  My board hopped over me from Portland to Seattle, so it should work it's way back to me by Saturday (if I'm lucky).

#4 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,141 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 PM

Can't wait to get it all put together though!

I bet!  ;-)

#5 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,141 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 PM

BTW - Is that little piece of white paper in the bag directions for placement of the retainers?

#6 COREi64 OFFLINE  

COREi64

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts
  • COREi64 3D Design

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 PM

Nope... that's me re-using a bag from Mouser.ca!  

Thanks for the reminder, I have to take some "instructional" photos of where the spacers go.

I'll do that tonight, and post them so you guys don't have to wonder how everything fits together.

Thomas

COREi64

#7 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,141 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 4:04 PM

Thanks for the reminder, I have to take some "instructional" photos of where the spacers go.

I'll do that tonight, and post them so you guys don't have to wonder how everything fits together.

Thanks!  Mine could arrive as early as tomorrow, which means after work it'll be there ready to go!

#8 COREi64 OFFLINE  

COREi64

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts
  • COREi64 3D Design

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 PM

As promised, here are the assembly photos.  For illustrative purposes I printed the spacers in RED so you can more easily see where they go.  The spacers you got with your case are black.

1. First you'll start with the TIPI/32K case open.  Separate (if you haven't already done so), the TIPI from the 32K board.  Place the spacers as shown in this photo.

Attached File  IMG_3948.JPG   395.51KB   3 downloads

2. Keep the board level (so the spacers don't fall out), connect the TIPI to the 32K board.  Then place the last spacer on top of the board as shown in this next photo.

Attached File  IMG_3951.JPG   471.23KB   3 downloads

3.  Now take the entire assembly, and place it into the case.  When you're done, it should look like this.

Attached File  IMG_3952.JPG   441.21KB   3 downloads

4.  Place the lid on top, flip it over and put in the four screws using the supplied tool.  Here's a tip for doing that.  When you drop the screws in the hole, and insert the key, with the key inserted in the head of the screw (you'll feel when it's in), spin the key COUNTER-CLOCKWISE with gentle pressure.  You'll hear it click as it skips over the thread.  When you hear the click, reverse the direction, and spin the key counter clockwise.  Doing this will ensure that you never cross-thread the screw.

When you're done, it'll look like this:

Attached File  IMG_3955.JPG   440.14KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3956.JPG   315.31KB   3 downloads

Hope this helps you in your assembly for those have picked up one of my cases.  And for those who didn't... Maybe you've been entertained a bit!

Thomas

COREi64

#9 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,141 posts

Posted Fri May 18, 2018 11:50 AM

I like your instructions, and think they are worthy of being put into PDF format, so I took the liberty.  I tweaked the formatting a tad, hope that's okay.

PDF removed and replaced with a newer version in a message below.

Edited by --- Ω ---, Fri May 18, 2018 7:38 PM.

#10 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 133 posts

Posted Fri May 18, 2018 5:27 PM

Thank you for the instructions!  Got it all put together and it looks FANTASTIC!

Only problem I had (initially) is that I kept trying to remove the cover using a Philips head screw driver.  I didn't open the small bag first, but just something you might want to add for dummies like me:

"Use the (included) allen wrench to remove/install the cover plate". 

( Not that I always read the instructions before trying it either - LOL )

btw- the Chip replacement went flawlessly, tested the memory in XB (SIZE) and we're good all the way.  Thanks again! 

#11 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,141 posts

Posted Fri May 18, 2018 7:36 PM

Only problem I had (initially) is that I kept trying to remove the cover using a Philips head screw driver.  I didn't open the small bag first, but just something you might want to add for dummies like me:

"Use the (included) allen wrench to remove/install the cover plate". 

Good idea!  Here is an updated version with your suggestion... right where people cannot miss it;-)

Attached Files

#12 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 133 posts

Posted Fri May 18, 2018 8:51 PM

Love it!!

Good idea!  Here is an updated version with your suggestion... right where people cannot miss it;-)

#13 COREi64 OFFLINE  

COREi64

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts
  • COREi64 3D Design

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 9:06 AM

Jonecool:  Glad that it all worked out for you and that you're happy!

--- Ω ---Great job with the PDF.  Super work, I should get you to make PDF's for all my cases!  :) Now you just have to get yours! Hopefully it arrives soon.

Thomas
COREi64

#14 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,141 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 PM

Yeah, got a message on my phone that said it was delivered. When I get home from work I'll put it together.

#15 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,141 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 3:36 PM

/rave mode on

Damn, I'm happy!   I got my case all hooked up.  This thing is freaking PERFECT!  How he got the tolerances so exact is beyond me.  I'm starting to suspect he does this kind of thing professionally.  It's well thought out and that little adjustable foot keeps pressure off the connector while keeping it at an exact 90 degree angle which just looks GOOD. 

Those spacers inside are perfect too, so you'll NEVER again have to worry about the printed circuit boards when removing or installing your 32K/TIPI combo in the future.  Those cards are well protected.

Omega Scale of approval:   0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11  ;-) 

^

#16 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 13,141 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 3:57 PM

Now something has to be done about that crappy looking RPi case of mine!

Maybe something that sits on top of the speech synthesizer, houses the LCD display and routes all the wires out the back?  Asking for too much?  Probably!  But if you don't ask, you'll never receive!  :evil:

Attached Files

#17 iKarith OFFLINE  

iKarith

Moonsweeper

• 351 posts

Posted Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 PM

It may not be ideal for TiPi because it's not the greatest solution for using your GPIO header, but I'm a big fan of the FLIRC Raspberry Pi case.  Mostly because unless you're overclocking (and even if you are), the case provides sufficient passive cooling to the Pi in most environments.  You can cool it more, but you don't need to.

514B76sMz2L._SX569_.jpg

Flirc Case

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tip, 3d, print, case, shorty

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users