Photo

TIPI EPROM Question

6 replies to this topic

#1 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• 123 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 1:41 PM

So, I ordered an EPROM Programmer (Programmer TL866A) that was mentioned on this board and it arrived today.  I've never used an EPROM Programmer, so I'd like to practice burning the EPROM on a spare chip and keep the original as-is until I understand the process better.  Anyone know what I'd need to order (on Amazon preferably, since I have Prime shipping) to have a spare chip (or 5-pack) to practice with?  Also, do I need a UV light to erase them with?

TIA!

#2 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,705 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 PM

It depends on what kind of chips you purchased.   EPROM's yes, need a UV eraser, EEPROMS, no.  It's one of the reasons I bought a bunch of UberGROMS and 49F040's from Ksarul.  Life is too short to wait on a UV eraser!  (IMHO).

You can also READ the chip and save the data to your hard drive to have a backup in case you FUBAR anything.

In the case of the TIPI, yeah, you'll need a UV eraser for that chip.

You can get one fairly cheap << HERE >>

s-l640.jpg

#3 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,613 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 6:24 PM

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/302529080616
That's 20.. us seller

So, I ordered an EPROM Programmer (Programmer TL866A) that was mentioned on this board and it arrived today.  I've never used an EPROM Programmer, so I'd like to practice burning the EPROM on a spare chip and keep the original as-is until I understand the process better.  Anyone know what I'd need to order (on Amazon preferably, since I have Prime shipping) to have a spare chip (or 5-pack) to practice with?  Also, do I need a UV light to erase them with?

TIA!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

#4 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 8:03 PM

Thanks guys for the help!  I ordered the eraser and the eprom's tonight.

#5 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,705 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 PM

Thanks guys for the help!  I ordered the eraser and the eprom's tonight.

Not that you need someone telling you how to spend even more money, but I highly recommend purchasing an IC extractor tool.

It may save you from bending or breaking pins on your IC's.

gallery_35324_1027_31106.jpg

You can find many different ones at different prices to suit your needs by clicking  << HERE >>

#6 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Fri May 18, 2018 5:30 PM

Thanks Omega, I got out lucky.  Inside the TI866 box was a Chip Extraction tool.  I'm sure it's cheaply made, but it worked perfectly for me.  I haven't used one of these since the early 90's :)

Not that you need someone telling you how to spend even more money, but I highly recommend purchasing an IC extractor tool.

It may save you from bending or breaking pins on your IC's.

You can find many different ones at different prices to suit your needs by clicking  << HERE >>

#7 iKarith OFFLINE  

iKarith

Moonsweeper

• 351 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 3:15 PM

Whatever you do, don't waste time and money on these things…

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B006C4BCAK

Those will bend your pins all to hell.  Much better off with a small flat blade screw driver and taking your time.  In fact that's my preferred method, given this thing as the alternative I can afford.  :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users