IGNORED

First console to use removable save media? VIS?

So I saw this completed item on ebay:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-5-Tandy-Memorex-Radio-Shack-VIS-Video-Information-System-/372253087950?nav=SEARCH#vi__app-cvip-panel

Five SAVE-IT cards for the Memorex VIS, which, I assume, are for saving game progress. The VIS predates the ps1 and contemporaries by a few years, so does this make it the 1st system (not counting computers) to use removable save memory cards?

Neo Geo MVS/AES is from 1990, that Tandy from a quick look up was 1993-4 range pretty much. The MVS memory card while very tiny did allow for both progress by the stage, tracked scores in sports(or innings), and high score save as each game would allow such things or not.

• Like 2

LOL the Wikipedia entry for VIS said some people took it to stand for "virtually impossible to sell." The thing was a modified Windows OS so it's tricky to have qualifiers like "not limited to computers," which have had disk and tape storage for years.

Remember those arcade games that had memory card slots do you could take your progress with you? I wonder if gaming culture could have been different had those come along ten years prior.

So I saw this completed item on ebay:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-5-Tandy-Memorex-Radio-Shack-VIS-Video-Information-System-/372253087950?nav=SEARCH#vi__app-cvip-panel

Five SAVE-IT cards for the Memorex VIS, which, I assume, are for saving game progress. The VIS predates the ps1 and contemporaries by a few years, so does this make it the 1st system (not counting computers) to use removable save memory cards?

Sega CD Backup Cart was my first removable for a console.

oh, that make me think, the Ten No Koe (ROMRAM) card might be the first save card.

I can't find precise infos, but it's not a stretch to think that NEC released them at the same time than their CD-Rom attachement, in 1989 then (late 1988).

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 5/20/2018 at 5:40 PM, CatPix said:

oh, that make me think, the Ten No Koe (ROMRAM) card might be the first save card.

I can't find precise infos, but it's not a stretch to think that NEC released them at the same time than their CD-Rom attachement, in 1989 then (late 1988).

Yes, the Tennokoe Bank came a bit after the PCE CD launch I think but I’m pretty sure it pre-dated the Mega CD save cart launch.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:23 PM, krslam said:

The VIS predates the ps1 and contemporaries by a few years, so does this make it the 1st system (not counting computers) to use removable save memory cards?

While there were a few earlier devices that could save game data (the Famicom Data Recorder and FDS were mentioned earlier), the first accessory that I know of that saved your position in a game using solid state electronics was the ASCII Turbo File in 1986. It plugged into the Famicom and saved data from supported games to its own battery-backed RAM. It was compatible with games such as Castle Excellent (which also supported the Data Recorder for saving), some of the Wizardry games, and Downtown - Nekketsu Monogatari (japanese version of River City Random).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_File_(ASCII)

• Like 3

Butttttt I think the VIS is still the first console that had a single standard removable save medium. In a form factor basically identical to the Playstation's. The VIS may be a terrible system but it was forward looking in more than one way. Too early for what they tried to do, though.

The Neo Geo AES was released in 1991, the VIS in 1992. So at least the Neo Geo AES beat it to it.

Fichier:Neo-Geo-Memory-Card.jpg — Wikipédia

It's pretty much a memory card : play your game, it will seamlessly save on it. No need to do tricks or use a save data explorer outside of a game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Intellivision Keyboard Component was released in 1980 and could write save data and voice clips to "audio"/Compact cassete tape software.

I don't know which software might have the option of saving to additional audio cassettes.

The Intellivision ECS was released in 1983 abd definitely allows you to record save data to regular audio cassettes and is supported by games like World Series Major League Baseball.

The PC Engine Tennokoe Bank was released in August of 1989 and pre-dates the Neo Geo.

Yes, I mentionned it before but didn't mentionned it again for the earliest one that works like a memory card, as despite being older than the Neo Geo Memory card, it isn't a memory card in the traditionnal sense. It isn't so convoluted once you understand that the Ten No Koe Bank doesn't copy your gave saves, but simply makes a dump of the CD-ROM (Or the Ten No Koe PC-Engine back attachement) whole memory. AKA It's more like a memory card copier than a memory card itself.

• Like 2