IGNORED

Problem with Dragonfire

I've posted about this over at Lemon64 and here in the wanted section, but figured I'd ask here too.

I'm trying to play Dragonfire by Imagic found here:

http://csdb.dk/search/?seinsel=all&search=dragonfire&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

When the game starts I can see that the graphic for the Archer's arrow is corrupt.

I've created floppy disks using my ZoomFloopy, and I also have loaded the .d64 images from SD, UIEC.

I was wondering if others could try these images to see if they see the same thing.

My C64 is a USA bread bin model, It has Jiffy DOS, and CBM DOS selectable with a switch.

In every other game I play the computer seems to work just fine. I've not noticed any glitches playing many, many games. I've even tried a different power supply. I ran C64 Doctor ram test and it passes after 150+ passes.

What could be wrong with my C64?

post-322-0-34076300-1526847100_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure which version is which, but one of the Hokuto Force +2DGMF cracks is linked to by Gamebase 64. That version works without graphics glitches with WinVICE 3.1 in both NTSC and PAL mode.

http://gamebase64.com/game.php?id=2324&d=18&h=0

You might want to download that version again and try.

Thanks. I tried the image at the site and had the same results.

I think something is wrong with my c64, but I'd like to hear someone tried it on real hardware, and it worked, before I start searching for a replacement C64.

Peculiar if it would be a RAM issue, as you would have far more corrupt graphics than a single sprite.

The arrow is sprite #5 counting from #0. It defaults to sprite pointer $2F, which equals memory address $0BC0. It is restored from $D660 every time one loses a life. There is also a copy at $5000 which might be the original origin but not reused once the game is started.

$0BC0 is part of the RAM used by BASIC, while $D660 is RAM that is behind both the character ROM and the VIC-II chip. Normally that memory is not accessible from BASIC, and one needs to change the I/O registers to read from it. It should give us some clues, if you have a hidden RAM fault not exposed by most other games, though the RAM test program should expose it eventually.