Photo

Coleco Adam: MicroFox VDD jumper settings

6 replies to this topic

#1 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Chopper Commander

• 147 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 AM

Does anyone know if any of these jumpers on the VDD control the backlight? I want it to stay on always not shut off

Milli

33176561_986825211483215_799547774633771008_n.jpg

#2 evg2000 OFFLINE  

evg2000

Stargunner

• 1,346 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 7:51 AM

I believe it's using a Hitachi HD44780 driver.  You could use the following to try and trace the leads.

lcd-16x2-pinout-768x502.png

#3 adamcon OFFLINE  

adamcon

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 AM

Does anyone know if any of these jumpers on the VDD control the backlight? I want it to stay on always not shut off

Milli

attachicon.gif33176561_986825211483215_799547774633771008_n.jpg

They are what was used for programming the master chip to put the program into it.  The display turns off to save the display from burnout; as soon as you unmount a program it will turn back on

#4 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 147 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 3:14 PM

They are what was used for programming the master chip to put the program into it.  The display turns off to save the display from burnout; as soon as you unmount a program it will turn back on

Ok - besides the obvious I would like to have it stay on, I wonder if you can answer this - we (Kevin Laskowski) and I have started to realized that we get errors on reading images only after the backlight has turned off - would you know if this can be cause issues in timing which would cause these issues (basically a device not ready error, at least that is how Backup+ refers to it - mounting and unmounting the image fixes it for Backup+ - but there is no fix for smart basic programs - they just crash

Milli

#5 adamcon OFFLINE  

adamcon

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 6:11 PM

Ok - besides the obvious I would like to have it stay on, I wonder if you can answer this - we (Kevin Laskowski) and I have started to realized that we get errors on reading images only after the backlight has turned off - would you know if this can be cause issues in timing which would cause these issues (basically a device not ready error, at least that is how Backup+ refers to it - mounting and unmounting the image fixes it for Backup+ - but there is no fix for smart basic programs - they just crash

Milli

the display turns off as a feature of the display itself, keeping it on would make the electrical used higher, generate heat, and generally be annoying

#6 klasko54 OFFLINE  

klasko54

Star Raider

• 92 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:38 PM

In all fairness to the VDD, For me simply waiting for the light to turn off, Then resetting solves this problem, For me anyway. I really only use it for running and copying and just general, Tinkering. I don't get into programming much at all. Lastly, The new VDD preserves every ADAM software programs for years to come for all to enjoy. 

K.Laskowski

Edited by klasko54, Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:43 PM.

#7 klasko54 OFFLINE  

klasko54

Star Raider

• 92 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:56 PM

Correction. I was confused at what you were referencing. The errors do exist, There just doesnt seem to be any other work around. If i get an error i just copy the program to disk and run it. However,   Reading disks from the VDD when copying gives a whole slew of errors requiring sometimes several retries to get to the end. I just figured it is what it is.

Edited by klasko54, Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:57 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users