TI MIST FPGA Core

5 replies to this topic

#1 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,389 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 9:30 PM

Looks like someone’s working on one with parts of Speccery’s core...

http://www.atari-for...t=33684#p345088

#2 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,282 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed May 23, 2018 8:50 AM

I saw this a few days ago too and was intrigued.  I would like to see it, i have a MiST.

#3 greyrogue OFFLINE  

greyrogue

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Wed May 23, 2018 10:02 AM

I'm the person who ported it. I mentioned it in Speccery's "TI-99/4A with a Pipistrello FPGA board"
http://atariage.com/...view=getnewpost
thread a week or so ago. It's for the MiSTer, though not the MiST. It should be relatively easy to do for MiST, but I don't have one. Speccery said in that thread he might port it himself, but if anyone wants to try, I'd be happy to answer questions if I can help.
I did make a couple of improvements. I added instruction cycle counting so games run at close to correct speed (can be turned off with Turbo setting), and I fixed some audio distortion from overflow issues.

#4 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,282 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 AM

I'm the person who ported it. I mentioned it in Speccery's "TI-99/4A with a Pipistrello FPGA board"
http://atariage.com/...view=getnewpost
thread a week or so ago. It's for the MiSTer, though not the MiST. It should be relatively easy to do for MiST, but I don't have one. Speccery said in that thread he might port it himself, but if anyone wants to try, I'd be happy to answer questions if I can help.
I did make a couple of improvements. I added instruction cycle counting so games run at close to correct speed (can be turned off with Turbo setting), and I fixed some audio distortion from overflow issues.

Did you just port the 99/4A console to MiSTer or did you port other hardware for it such as 32k, Floppy Disk controller, etc ?

#5 greyrogue OFFLINE  

greyrogue

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 AM

I ported Speccery's project, so it has 64k expansion RAM (Speccery has 256k). I'm only using 256k of Altsyncram, so I could easily double that and the Cart Rom max to 128k each. I didn't want to require the optional SDRAM board, but if using that there's plenty of room for larger Cart Roms and more expansion RAM. I think it's possible to make an option to choose which one to use.
The layout for DSRs is already in place, and I can probably import an existing disk drive implementation, but I'm currently working on something else.
I was trying to play Parsec, but the game is too confusing without a female Texan narrating and advising, so I thought I'd try to do something about that first. I've only started teaching myself Fpga programming a few weeks ago, so no guarantees.

#6 speccery OFFLINE  

speccery

Moonsweeper

• 337 posts

Posted Mon May 28, 2018 5:40 PM

I do now have the MIST system, and I have ported the CPU to the Altera toolchain, so I will probably make a port for the MIST myself. The code is open source so obviously this available for anyone...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users