IGNORED

Troubleshooting XL computers

Keneg

More progress. I swapped the 800XL keyboard into the 600XL and it now works great. The 800XL May jus need some chips reset. It works better as it warms up and sometimes when it is acting up I can sort of thump it onto the desk and the colors will be fine for a while. The only concern I have with the 600XL is static in the audio. The 800 XL has much clearer sound, even using RF. I am wondering if the pot on the RF module needs adjustment, but I don’t know which one is the audio offset.

The color pot might be loose. If you touch it the screen will go nuts like a rainbow. To fix it press a screw driver on top of it from the inside and press down on the metal tabs to tighten it down. It gets loose.

The color pot might be loose. If you touch it the screen will go nuts like a rainbow. To fix it press a screw driver on top of it from the inside and press down on the metal tabs to tighten it down. It gets loose.

That is it! I managed to adjust the pot back and forth a few times and it is working for now. I may need to take the shield off and tighten it if it keeps acting up. Once that was working, I decided to try to fix the keyboard again. I realized I cleaned the mylar, but not the contacts by the function keys. I cleaned the contacts and bent them up gently. The keyboard now works also. I have another 5v 2a power supply on order to make another one. Then both machines should be OK.

Today I decided to adjust the color on the 600XL because the memory check was showing something closer to blue than green. I used setcolor in immediate mode to cycle through the palette while I had the top case loose so I could get to the pot. It took a couple of times through the palette, but I think they are correct to now. The memory test screen definitely shows green when rom and ram tests good. It is difficult to see much difference between the 3 blues though. I guess that is normal.

Today I decided to adjust the color on the 600XL because the memory check was showing something closer to blue than green. I used setcolor in immediate mode to cycle through the palette while I had the top case loose so I could get to the pot. It took a couple of times through the palette, but I think they are correct to now. The memory test screen definitely shows green when rom and ram tests good. It is difficult to see much difference between the 3 blues though. I guess that is normal.

You shouldn't have to open the 600XL to adjust the color potentiometer, there is a hole in the bottom case and RF shield to allow adjusting it without disassembly.

I don’t have small enough screw driver to go through the bottom, slot is bigger from the top. Now my only remaining issue is that the sound isn’t very long and has static that gets louder the brighter the screen is. I need to know which pot on the RF to adjust for that.