Myarc Geneve 9640 cards for sale/repair

Geneve Geneve 9640 Repair

56 replies to this topic

#51 RickyDean ONLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 866 posts

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:00 AM

For reference, I am guessing those caps were replaced by Don as part of his attempts to resurrect cards or by me in the late 90s for the same reason.  Either way, they are more than likely 20+ years old.  I would recommend replacing all electrolytic caps if you have the ability to do so.

Understood, ability yes, desire, not so much, if they work well. Many kinds of projects and so little time to do them ;)

#52 fabrice montupet OFFLINE  

fabrice montupet

Moonsweeper

• 371 posts

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:32 PM

We are facing a last centuary computer, its capacitors are between 20 and 30 years old. They are very important because they ensure smooth operation, stability of the board. Changing all of them cost so few so no need to take risks.

#53 RickyDean ONLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 866 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:35 AM

Yes of course, both you and Tim, make a good point. I am just looking at the damage caused by someone who removed the regulators and seriously damaged the traces and pads in those areas. Don't want to tear up anymore, though I do know how to remove solder.  :)

#54 fabrice montupet OFFLINE  

fabrice montupet

Moonsweeper

• 371 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:25 AM

The Geneve 9640 is a fragile computer but it is not made out of crystal :-)
I think that if people like to use very old computers, they must have a minimal tools set to make a bare minimum in maintenance or repairs. This set must at least contain a good soldering iron, desoldering pump, desoldering wick and multimeter. Without spending a lot of money, we find good quality item. Then, it is necessery to learn the good maner for using them. Learning is not difficult.
Because, we have to accept that all these old materials have, and since a long time, exceeded their life time envisaged by their manufacturer. They are 30 years old or more. To keep them alive, to continue to use them, that  must include a good maintenance.

In addition, a hurried work, avoiding a preventive maintenance could permit to quickly enjoy of the material but it never offers a lasting usage.  Old computers are a fantastic hobby, they offer so many nostalgic pleasures. There is no rush, we must take our time  :-)

Edited by fabrice montupet, Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:26 AM.

#55 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,120 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 PM

The Geneve 9640 is a fragile computer but it is not made out of crystal :-)

I can send you a Geneve that would change your mind :)   Looking at the pads and solder mask causes them to fall away from the board!   

#56 fabrice montupet OFFLINE  

fabrice montupet

Moonsweeper

• 371 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:45 AM

I imagine the scene (laughing!) Fortunately all the Geneve PCB aren't like this.
I wonder which manufacturer produced the PCB.
To desolder without damage this fragile PCB, it is absolutely vital to have a a steady hand  and respect a good desoldering and time temperature : about 3s at 360°C/400°C.

#57 fabrice montupet OFFLINE  

fabrice montupet

Moonsweeper

• 371 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:25 AM

That said, it wil arrives that a via popped away even using a good desoldering pump and a good solder iron temperature. Some times, and despite the precautions I had taken, I had to repair a damaged via.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Geneve, Geneve 9640, Repair

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users